Increasing mavics visibility
9791 21 2017-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
miltonmike
lvl.1

Canada

Finally got my mavic pro out for a flight yesterday .
Only thing i had a issue with was losing sight of it .
Im thinking of getting a wrap for it to increase its visibility to me , has  anyone experimented with  what color is best ?

2017-3-22
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

go to decalgirl.com she has quite a few bright colored wraps
2017-3-22
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Blaze Orange or Corvet Canary Yellow these color will blind you if you get too close lol
2017-3-22
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-22 04:29
Blaze Orange or Corvet Canary Yellow these color will blind you if you get too close lol

Actually ordered the Metal Slate Orange a few days ago.

I might customize it tho... Not too sure about covering the full bird with it.
2017-3-22
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

chalde Posted at 2017-3-22 04:31
Actually ordered the Metal Slate Orange a few days ago.

I might customize it tho... Not too sure about covering the full bird with it.

chalde ,

Want to see something really cool --- do a search for HYDRODIPPING a lot of P3 and P4 owners are doing it  
2017-3-22
Use props
SkyMavic
lvl.2
Austria

The best visible colours are the colours of a traffic light: Green Orange an Blue. In the Sky is a dark color the better color. When you do fly near the ground a lighter color will be the better color. Maybe the bottom dark and on the sides light. You know what I mean?
Like an penguin

2017-3-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Judging by your avatar you like bright colours , go for yellow..
2017-3-22
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-22 04:43
chalde ,

Want to see something really cool --- do a search for HYDRODIPPING a lot of P3 and P4 owners are doing it

Hydrodipping is cool but I would not want to have to take the Mavic apart. Phantom is a little easier to take a part in my opinion
2017-3-22
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-22 04:43
chalde ,

A bit too busy patterns for me. It's super cool for camouflage and stuff, but I rather see my mavic in the sky
2017-3-22
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I find strobes work great to improve visibility. I have two on my Mavic. One facing forward and one facing back.
2017-3-22
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I always thought a bright flashing strobe would bring attention to the location of my drone more than a bright color.  I can have a direct line of sight on my drone, take my eyes off of it for a few minutes (looking to line up a shot), then lose where it is in the sky.  This is especially true if I'm below tree line and lose it in the mix of background.  And the drone is silent enough that its hard to pick up just through audible.

I would rather put a small strobe on top that flashes a distinguishable bright light than cover my Mavic in different colors.  But then again, maybe a strobe has its limited benefits also.........
2017-3-22
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Any Neon color will be bright enough, just pick a color that suits you and get it in neon.
2017-3-22
Use props
dirtbound
lvl.1
Flight distance : 898261 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-3-22 06:09
I find strobes work great to improve visibility. I have two on my Mavic. One facing forward and one facing back.

What strobes are you using? Any impact on flight performance?
2017-3-22
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was also having a heck of a time seeing the drab color of the mavic in the sky.  This "racing white" color from Drone Wrap helped a lot.  To me, it also is much more apealing to look at IMO.
mavic.jpg
2017-3-22
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

dirtbound Posted at 2017-3-22 06:29
What strobes are you using? Any impact on flight performance?

No impact on flight performance. They weigh almost nothing. There are several threads here in the forum that talk about strobes and there are some links there.
2017-3-22
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-3-22 06:13
I always thought a bright flashing strobe would bring attention to the location of my drone more than a bright color.  I can have a direct line of sight on my drone, take my eyes off of it for a few minutes (looking to line up a shot), then lose where it is in the sky.  This is especially true if I'm below tree line and lose it in the mix of background.  And the drone is silent enough that its hard to pick up just through audible.

I would rather put a small strobe on top that flashes a distinguishable bright light than cover my Mavic in different colors.  But then again, maybe a strobe has its limited benefits also.........

I can have a direct line of sight on my drone, take my eyes off of it for a few minutes (looking to line up a shot), then lose where it is in the sky.

No Sale ,
I have the same problem as you ----- I don't know about a strobe ? -- If ya Bird is above you and the strobe is mounted on top I don't think it can be seen in day light hours.
If you mount it on the bottom will it or can it interfere with VSP + OA  ???
2017-3-22
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-22 13:46
I can have a direct line of sight on my drone, take my eyes off of it for a few minutes (looking to line up a shot), then lose where it is in the sky.

I have two on the forward arms. One facing back and one forward.  These are also visible from the top or bottom.  It does not interfere with OA or VPS. One downside is if you are filming between dusk and dawn, the flashes can be visiible in the video if you are close to objects.
2017-3-23
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-3-23 05:51
I have two on the forward arms. One facing back and one forward.  These are also visible from the top or bottom.  It does not interfere with OA or VPS. One downside is if you are filming between dusk and dawn, the flashes can be visiible in the video if you are close to objects.

After reading some of your previous posts, I did find one very small strobe online that is likely the same or similar to what you use.  I can see it having very little impact on the flight or battery time.

It would be nice if you could turn the strobes off/on with the RC (in other words, integrated into the Mavic), but that would be a whole different feature that would not be a 3rd party add on.  In this regard, if you were just trying to re-orient yourself to the Mavic, turn on the strobe long enough to identify the location.

I may pick up a few of the strobes..........
2017-3-23
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

The strobes use so little power I don't think it would be worth the bother to turn them off while flying.  Mine say they will run for five hours with a full charge. I think that's pretty typical for all of them.
2017-3-23
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-22 06:39
I was also having a heck of a time seeing the drab color of the mavic in the sky.  This "racing white" color from Drone Wrap helped a lot.  To me, it also is much more apealing to look at IMO.

While it's not my style, my first glimpse at your bird and I thought I was looking at a Storm Trooper from Star Wars!

Very Cool
2017-3-23
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

This actually helped a lot, if I pitch forward backward left or right it flashed red at me and I can easily spot it.  Still invisible from directly below though
154413hllvnv5a2rlnz23q.jpg
2017-3-23
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-3-23 11:34
While it's not my style, my first glimpse at your bird and I thought I was looking at a Storm Trooper from Star Wars!

Very Cool

Thanks; I like it!
2017-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules