5408 18 2017-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jgrn307
New
Flight distance : 3104 ft
United States

Folks:

I've been trying to use the Mavic for photogrammetry work, but I'd like to be able to set the JPEG compression rate (basically to "highest quality").  It appears to be somewhat compressed, leading to some spatial distortions which can throw off using it with e.g. Agisoft.  Any way to do this?  If not, how do I go about making this a feature request?

I know the Mavic has a "RAW" setting but the major flight planning apps (DroneDeploy and PIX4DCapture) seem to ignore this setting, and don't seem to want to allow it, hence my request for a better quality JPEG.  Thanks!

--j
2017-3-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Yep, not sure on exact compression ratios, but the JPEG processing is $h!t.  The apps won't like it because uploading 999 RAWs would take weeks to do & process & then output to you.  Stinks because RAW is "it" and JPEG is 100% useless.

Short story long:  Mavic Pro is NOT suitable for this purpose.  You can do it, but the results will look like a toddler did it/1980s tech.
2017-3-23
Use props
Gateway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could batch process the RAW files to jpg.. I was looking recently and will post soon about the huge difference in quality and some various blurry/focus issues when I shoot in both RAW/jpg.  RAW files are about 18 megs while the jpegs are 3.8 to 4 megs.  Even at that quality for jpeg you should be getting good quality photos.  I'm not sure what the issue is and maybe it could be fixed with a firmware update.  I personally use a Phantom 4 for any sort of images needed for processing of map/3d model creation and recently mapped about 400 acres of Fly Ranch owned by Burning Man.

If the Mavic is your only bird right now shoot in RAW and batch process with Lightroom/Photoshop or any other app that can do it.  If doing it in lightroom I suggest you make some color correction edits and batch copy them to all the photos to keep them the same.
2017-3-23
Use props
jgrn307
New
Flight distance : 3104 ft
United States

So the problem I'm having is I'm using DroneDeploy/Pix4DCapture to make the flight planning work for photogrammetry purposes -- those seem to override the JPG+RAW settings.  If I could get those to just accept the settings, I'd be happy to batch-convert to JPG if need be.  But, alas, I'm currently stuck with JPG.
2017-3-23
Use props
Kevieboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 712743 ft
Australia

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem with my Mavic. The JPEG images look like watercolour and smeared when zoomed in. I went out again today and had set the manual camera settings to shoot in RAW, to try doing my map for a paying client, only to get home and find out the bird took 800 JPEGs. Apparently the camera takes 10 seconds to write a RAW image (23MB) to file. How on earth am I supposed to to a map with an image every 10 secs, apart from flying at 1m/s - which would take me days to do my 240 acre map..? I need to be able to trigger every 2 seconds or there's no point. And it's not a me memory card issue as I'm using a 64Gb Samsung Pro UHC-3 which has 90Mb/90Mb read write. Is there a way to get the Mavic to shoot RAW every 2 seconds? Cos JPEG is absolute rubbish..
2017-5-14
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Kevieboy Posted at 2017-5-14 02:38
Hi guys, I'm having the same problem with my Mavic. The JPEG images look like watercolour and smeared when zoomed in. I went out again today and had set the manual camera settings to shoot in RAW, to try doing my map for a paying client, only to get home and find out the bird took 800 JPEGs. Apparently the camera takes 10 seconds to write a RAW image (23MB) to file. How on earth am I supposed to to a map with an image every 10 secs, apart from flying at 1m/s - which would take me days to do my 240 acre map..? I need to be able to trigger every 2 seconds or there's no point. And it's not a me memory card issue as I'm using a 64Gb Samsung Pro UHC-3 which has 90Mb/90Mb read write. Is there a way to get the Mavic to shoot RAW every 2 seconds? Cos JPEG is absolute rubbish..

Unfortunately if you want to shoot proper quality pics you're left with DNG raw and yes it takes roughly 10 seconds to write the image to the card. The speed of the bus and the size of the cache are very limit - hence this speed. I'd say that if you want to do a proper job you need to fly so slow to take a pic every 10 seconds, no other choice there. On Phantoms I do believe it was roughly the same, only Inspire 2 for sure can go beyond that. Sorry :/
2017-5-14
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

What SD card are you using?  What's it write speed?
2017-5-14
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

On my Mavic with the card that came with it RAW+jpeg writes take a couple secs, max. Even three-stop bracketed mode maybe take three seconds.

Maybe try reformatting your card in the Mavic to make sure it gets the right format, or revert to the card that came with it and compare write times? I've also heard of counterfit memory cards out there that do not actually meet the advertized spec.

2017-5-14
Use props
kyis
New
Flight distance : 58596 ft
France

I had the same blurry mess when I tried to use the mavic for photogrammetry today, then it started raining so I opened a spreadsheet and started testing.
My observations are that a fixed sharpness filter is applied to all jpegs no matter what settings you use, the "sharpness" value seems to behave like a noise filter from max at -3 to min at +3 which is as close as you can get to raw in terms of sharpness.

It sounds really dumb but I checked and checked again, here are some examples (open to full size):

Mavic Pro blurry photo test

2017-5-31
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

kyis Posted at 2017-5-31 14:38
I had the same blurry mess when I tried to use the mavic for photogrammetry today, then it started raining so I opened a spreadsheet and started testing.
My observations are that a fixed sharpness filter is applied to all jpegs no matter what settings you use, the "sharpness" value seems to behave like a noise filter from max at -3 to min at +3 which is as close as you can get to raw in terms of sharpness.

Try shooting hdr raw. It takes multiple photos and processes it into one. This is the only thing that's really acceptable far as I can see. The single shots on mavic are just bad.
2017-5-31
Use props
kyis
New
Flight distance : 58596 ft
France

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-31 15:05
Try shooting hdr raw. It takes multiple photos and processes it into one. This is the only thing that's really acceptable far as I can see. The single shots on mavic are just bad.

It might be good for single shots. Using that on a 290 shots mission is not feasible, also my experience with HDR is that it needs a tripod to maintain geometric accuracy. I'll give it a try it might be good for texturing at least.
2017-5-31
Use props
SquidVI
lvl.1
U.S. Virgin Islands

I think the shots from Mavic are just fine. I DO think the jpeg rendering sucks big time. I actually usually prefer JPEG in my DLSR shots (despite photo snobs chuffing at that comment) as it's less work to PP. I just get try to get my settings right on the camera... most times. I Do shoot RAW+Jpeg on both DSLR and Mavic. I have noticed a HUGE difference in quality between the two in Mavic. For this reason I would only use the RAW files over the JPEGS but I think its great to have both. That being said ALL photos that come out of Mavic will need PP IMO. Here are a few I took this week... full disclosure I have only 7 flights on my Mavic and am a total newbie.  The sunrise one is a little mushy - forgot I had the 16ND filter on and it was pretty windy. http://www.photosvi.com/Aerial-Work/Aerial-Work/n-dhrVbc/

2017-7-30
Use props
TUTO 1
New

Tunisia

You can use this compressjpeg.geek-windows.com if you have many photos to compress (up to 100 - 10mb per photo).
2019-5-1
Use props
djiuser_7Dj384b0r7vc
New

Just discover this tread : The solution might be : mapsmadeeasy iOS app does offer raw shooting while mapping. My issue is using the jpegs from DNG files developed using either capture one or Adobe camera raw module through Bridge/Photoshop change the place of the exif info that mapsmadeeasy online mapping software ignore or do not read properly . Incredible.... any other get the same experience?
2019-10-3
Use props
Juliflash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2923 ft

Spain

Would be great for the Mavic Mini too!
2019-11-13
Use props
soniya
lvl.1

India

Jpeg compressor helps you to compress your jpegs & pngs without affecting the quality of the image.
2022-6-3
Use props
Sonam Malik
lvl.1

India

There's no direct control over compression settings. You can use third-party apps or firmware updates for potential features. As I'm using https://jpegcompressor.com/ It's a user-friendly software it uses various optimization techniques, including stripping metadata and efficient compression algorithms, to reduce file sizes without compromising image quality.
2023-12-6
Use props
Sonam Malik
lvl.1

India

check here
2023-12-26
Use props
Sonam Malik
lvl.1

India

you can use Jpeg Compressor | compress your bulk images for free tool for compressing your image. It compress the image without losing the original quality of image and also it supports a lot of file format such as jpeg, png, svg etc.
1-4 21:32
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules