Non-stop Class D airspace warnings
4342 19 2017-3-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

When flying the app keeps popping up a Class D Airspace warning (I'm about 4.5 miles in freedom units or 7.2 km in other units) away from an airport - so I expect this to appear once; not 14 times when in the middle of flying. It's oddly frustrating, and it doesn't always happen. Any insights to why it does?
Usually restarting the aircraft and app take care of it.
2017-3-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm tempted to speculate that if you're flying near the edge that maybe as you fly around the app thinks you're going in and out of the class D airspace and prompts you each time it thinks you've entered. The problem with that theory, though, is that it wouldn't explain the fact that you don't have this problem after a restart.

All I know is that I've flown in airspace where DJI Go 4 believed I needed authorization and I don't remember being prompted about it more than once in a single flight.
2017-3-23
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

I am in the same boat, there is a spot on my ranch that if I take off from I get constant warnings (4.9 freedom units from airport.) from airport; if I move a hundred yards no issues.
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-23
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-23 09:46
I'm tempted to speculate that if you're flying near the edge that maybe as you fly around the app thinks you're going in and out of the class D airspace and prompts you each time it thinks you've entered. The problem with that theory, though, is that it wouldn't explain the fact that you don't have this problem after a restart.

All I know is that I've flown in airspace where DJI Go 4 believed I needed authorization and I don't remember being prompted about it more than once in a single flight.

Thanks. I suspect it's something to do w/ the flakiness of the DJI Go app and the connection to the drone. My guess (without any data) is that the connection keeps re-establishing itself and the app wants to remind me to not be an idiot when flying with other aircraft...

Next time it happens, I'll just have to send the logs to support.
2017-3-23
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-3-23 09:55
I am in the same boat, there is a spot on my ranch that if I take off from I get constant warnings (4.9 freedom units from airport.) from airport; if I move a hundred yards no issues.
Regards,
-d.

Oh nice, lucky you :-) What about if you enter your drone in that space when flying - does it pop up on your app?
2017-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you turn disable GEO does it still do it?
2017-3-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-3-23 09:55
Regards,
-d.

Interesting; and I assume that the trouble-free area is slightly farther away from the airport, correct?
2017-3-23
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-23 10:00
Thanks. I suspect it's something to do w/ the flakiness of the DJI Go app and the connection to the drone. My guess (without any data) is that the connection keeps re-establishing itself and the app wants to remind me to not be an idiot when flying with other aircraft...

Next time it happens, I'll just have to send the logs to support.

Another possibility that just occurred to me that might actually make more sense: if your Mavic is experiencing sporadic loss of GPS, it may be that the app keeps "rediscovering" the fact that you're in class D airspace. One way to check this would be to upload the logs to Healthy Drones / AirData or Phantom Help and see what they show.
2017-3-23
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
United States

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-23 10:01
Oh nice, lucky you :-) What about if you enter your drone in that space when flying - does it pop up on your app?

If I take off and or fly over there I get multiple warnings then eventually I am able to click the two boxes that say I will accept responsibility and they disappear.  I stay away from that area if I can.  Now that you bring it to my attention it does seem to be happening more frequently.
Regards,
-d
2017-3-23
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-23 10:03
Interesting; and I assume that the trouble-free area is slightly farther away from the airport, correct?

Yup, the trouble free area is all the rest and 5.1+ miles away; no issues.
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-23
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-23 10:02
If you turn disable GEO does it still do it?

No, I haven't disabled geo-locatio (well, afaik). If I disable it, does it make those warnings go away - and will I fly blind?
2017-3-23
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-23 10:04
Another possibility that just occurred to me that might actually make more sense: if your Mavic is experiencing sporadic loss of GPS, it may be that the app keeps "rediscovering" the fact that you're in class D airspace. One way to check this would be to upload the logs to Healthy Drones / AirData or Phantom Help and see what they show.

That would make sense too - I've recently enlisted in that Health Drones and I've been syncing my logs there. I'll make a note of next time it happens.
2017-3-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-23 13:59
No, I haven't disabled geo-locatio (well, afaik). If I disable it, does it make those warnings go away - and will I fly blind?

Yes, it will take the initial warning away.
2017-3-23
Use props
Heavydpj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 611027 ft
United States

Just curious - Have you looked at the sectional charts for your area to see if you are, in fact, penetrating Class D Airspace?
2017-4-17
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

Heavydpj Posted at 2017-4-17 14:51
Just curious - Have you looked at the sectional charts for your area to see if you are, in fact, penetrating Class D Airspace?

My house is in a class D airspace - there are 3 airports around me. My issue was not dismissing the notification, but the non-stop notifications to let me know about class D ...

The scenario is when the app crashes, it restarts and suddenly non-stop class d notifications, two check boxes --- while I'm trying to land the mavic. It's very frustrating.
2017-4-18
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not sure if this helps , but i have this warning pop up alll the time and its annoying so i turned it off...i know the rules but flying in a public park MILES from airport etc is ridiculous..i turned it off m by pressing map icon then the first icon in the list that pops across gives you loads of options to turn notifications on and off
2017-7-3
Use props
Air5757
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87552 ft
United States

I too have been prompted multiple times i live close to an airport. But heck i dont think i have ever flown with out being warned...
2017-7-3
Use props
dr. D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8699150 ft
Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-23 16:14
Yes, it will take the initial warning away.

In the latest iOS DJI GO app 4.1.3 there is no GEO slider anymore.
You can't disable geo-locations anymore.
2017-7-3
Use props
Drone Hammer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50922 ft
United States

Mine does this at a lake here. Halfway out it starts then warns again as I move back and forth.
2017-7-3
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

I get the warning occasionally in some areas. Although the whole island and pretty far out to sea where I live is class D airspace.
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules