Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
38099 586 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

And companies like this wonder why users go down other routes to get firmware.
Imagine if a beta tester here offered to sell the use of their account to install the firmware people eagerly want.
2017-4-13
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-13 10:15
And companies like this wonder why users go down other routes to get firmware.
Imagine if a beta tester here offered to sell the use of their account to install the firmware people eagerly want.

I'd buy it... hypothetically
2017-4-13
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I heard back from Beta admin a couple of days ago, and they still say that the P4 firmware will be released 'possibly next week'. Just saying that I still believe that the P4 is supported and will be for a while - certainly for another major release (which this will be). Someone else here suggested that focus for testing is now on the P4A, and I believe there's truth to this. DJI's roadmap is obviously very busy with release of numerous new model lines, and I'm guessing that they've had some delays in adapting their firmware and have fallen out-of-sync - the P4 isn't on their 'critical path' and so retro-fitting all new functionality and component support levels into firmware for it isn't a priority.

But I'm confident it will come. Just don't update your P4P yet if you have one - the P4 Beta (and current P4 prod) battery firmware not longer aligns with that in the latest P4P firmware release, which I'm told will be sorted in the coming P4 firmware.
2017-4-13
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Still waiting
2017-4-14
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Have any of you beta users tried the CSC option in the GO app? Does it let you change it? Also doe ESC beeping work on the find my drone?
2017-4-14
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

STILL WATIING
2017-4-14
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Yes. And they've updated the forums today to show phantom 4 advanced as an option. Things might slowly be happening. But it looks like money is their priority and not is users. Promoting a new drone and not releasing this much wanted upgrade for Phantom 4
2017-4-14
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Man, if they seriously cut the update at this late stage, they're gonna lose an awful lot of loyal customers.
2017-4-14
Use props
Nevillejp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-14 06:04
Have any of you beta users tried the CSC option in the GO app? Does it let you change it? Also doe ESC beeping work on the find my drone?

Yes to both
2017-4-14
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Thanks nevillejp for answering.
2017-4-14
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Falkland Islands

Everyone's gone quiet.
Maybe you've all given up on DJI honouring the be firmware.
I'm beginning to think it's a no. The P4 Advanced is virtually identical. They wouldn't jeopardise sales upgrading an existing P4 to use these features.
2017-4-16
Use props
Driller35
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

hopefully this week it get pushed out but not holding my breath, Come on DJI and git-r-done
2017-4-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Stephen, it's gone quiet here because DJI have revised their communicated timeframe (finally!) to 'maybe' this week. Let's see...
Again, I fully believe that the firmware is coming, but that their priorities aren't on the P4.
2017-4-16
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Germany

I'm starting to think maybe the p4 beta testers were - unbeknownst to them - testing firmware for the P4A.  the residual benefit is that we will hopefully get some of the extra features: but that was never the purpose of the firmware. As punchbaggy said, it was all about unifying the code base, and I think getting the P4A ready for prime time
2017-4-17
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-4-17 01:04
I'm starting to think maybe the p4 beta testers were - unbeknownst to them - testing firmware for the P4A.  the residual benefit is that we will hopefully get some of the extra features: but that was never the purpose of the firmware. As punchbaggy said, it was all about unifying the code base, and I think getting the P4A ready for prime time

I suspect that many others have had that same thought. It wouldn't surprise me if the new features are only offered on the P4A, even though they could technically run (even beta tested) on the standard P4.
2017-4-17
Use props
fans3aad5013
lvl.1
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

We're waiting DJI!
2017-4-17
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Falkland Islands

I'd be happy to just get the better RTH and precision landing. The other modes aren't a deal breaker. But a safer RTH and landing would be of great benefit.
2017-4-17
Use props
Draiter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39852 ft

Canada

Yeah, come on. Enough is enough...
2017-4-17
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Flight distance : 523799 ft
United States

Yeah, c'mon DJI.....
2017-4-17
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Well, I'll tell you this.  Although I have been a very loyal and enthusiastic supporter of DJI's products and I've encouraged others to buy DJI in the past, if I get burned by this nonsense, that WILL CHANGE.  I work in broadcast television production and I know a lot of camera people in the industry, many of whom ask my advice on aerial photography equipment.  You are damaging your own reputation and credibility DJI.  Not good for future business.

--Jim

Burbank, CA
2017-4-17
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-4-17 09:59
Well, I'll tell you this.  Although I have been a very loyal and enthusiastic supporter of DJI's products and I've encouraged others to buy DJI in the past, if I get burned by this nonsense, that WILL CHANGE.  I work in broadcast television production and I know a lot of camera people in the industry, many of whom ask my advice on aerial photography equipment.  You are damaging your own reputation and credibility DJI.  Not good for future business.

--Jim

Jim I feel you, this is not acceptable especially for a company that aims at the prosumer market.

Even though the group held hostage is small, this practice betrays a wider ethos that is somewhat disturbing. Customer and product support is key in each company's commercial success and it seems DJI is more worried about pushing units out with no real support and update roadmaps for its line of products.

Only for the beta program, 100 participants is ridiculous as it's an insanely tiny sample size inefficient at replicating let alone identifying bugs, perhaps not at an alpha stage, but beta should be almost final firmware released to much wider groups to accelerate the bug killing process. In this case it seems to have come to a stop.
2017-4-17
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Falkland Islands

What's even more unfair is if they to what appears to be the case, used 100 of its loyal customers with risk to their Phantoms to test firmware for an upcoming Drone.

Let's hope someone at DJI is reading this and listens and pushes to let us have what we believed was going to happen.
And Jim I agree I think myself I would sell all my current DJI equipment and go elsewhere.
2017-4-17
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-17 12:05
What's even more unfair is if they to what appears to be the case, used 100 of its loyal customers with risk to their Phantoms to test firmware for an upcoming Drone.

Let's hope someone at DJI is reading this and listens and pushes to let us have what we believed was going to happen.

It's unfair not only for beta tester, but also for all P4 owner. We bought a tech piece, so we expect a firmware update on regularly basis.
2017-4-18
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-3-30 09:56
Yes we are listening and have never stopped.  Enjoy.

*Cough*

Enjoy what exactly?
2017-4-18
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

I understand everyone's frustration (Especially the beta testers who risk the Drones testing the Firmware and have been loyal customers) but every time DJI release a new Firmware they are attacked when problems occur. It seems to me that DJI can't win. When we all brought the Phantom 4 these additional features we not part of the package. I think we all need to be patient and let DJI sort out any problems with the new firmware before they release it.

Cheers

Beeper
2017-4-18
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
United Kingdom

beeper Posted at 2017-4-18 16:17
I understand everyone's frustration (Especially the beta testers who risk the Drones testing the Firmware and have been loyal customers) but every time DJI release a new Firmware they are attacked when problems occur. It seems to me that DJI can't win. When we all brought the Phantom 4 these additional features we not part of the package. I think we all need to be patient and let DJI sort out any problems with the new firmware before they release it.

Cheers

Yes beeper.

But they can at least pipe up in the forum and say either yes its coming or no its not.
Its not really a good move on their part especially for the Beta Testers who are stuck with no option to downgrade.

Even though they are lucky to have the extra features we all so want. Its nothing to do with whats part of the package. Apple for example give new features as they progress. And they don't leave everyone with no downgrade option from Beta.

Please DJI pipe up and deliver something please.
2017-4-18
Use props
ibuyufo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

Isn't DJI really bad with communication?  Like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing and to make it worse, neither hand talks to the head.  I would expect nothing less than complete silence.
2017-4-18
Use props
beeper
Second Officer
Australia

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-18 17:44
Yes beeper.

But they can at least pipe up in the forum and say either yes its coming or no its not.

Hi StephenGSY
I agree DJI need to work on their communication skills.
2017-4-18
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

beeper Posted at 2017-4-18 16:17

Cheers

I agree to some extent beeper. The functionality is beyond that which we bought into and therefore we shouldn't expect it like some kind of birth right.

But if DJI were using their P4 beta testers as pawns, in order to push the P4A out - which is looking increasingly likely - that's just plain wrong. Will depend on the country in which you reside, but I'm pretty sure their is consumer rights law in the UK which would offer protection for such deceitful behaviour.

Imagine you bought a brand new car and a year later, the dealership asked if they could borrow it for an hour. Then they took a sledge hammer to the engine, pulled out a component and handed it to the owner of the newest model. That's what I think is happening here. Happy to be proven wrong. Any. Day. Now.
The fact is that until they make the car/drone right again, they are in the wrong. And if they just decide to let things stand as is, they are breaching the trust  placed in them when we handed over good money for a functioning drone. This really is just about the beta testers.

2017-4-19
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.1
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

Looks like they are abandoning us.
2017-4-19
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Guernsey

Maybe. Just maybe.  Now that a new version of GO app is released and advanced is now supported on it. We will see something happen. Not holding my breath though. Because I think they have abandoned us P4 owners too. This really isn't good customer relations.
2017-4-19
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Waaaaaiting
2017-4-20
Use props
Dronald
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

Waiting too.
2017-4-20
Use props
hungdang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am so sorry for the Beta team, I think DJI should do something for the beta team
1. Allow beta team to install the current offical version (at least)
2. Roll out the new version for everyone
3. Give the beta team a free phantom 4A (swap with phantom 4)

To be clear, I am not in beta team so just a thought for someone has done good things for DJI community.
2017-4-20
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

Well, the absolute fall in disgrace of the P4 since the mavic release is obvious.

No support, no communication, DJI turned a very expensive product obsolete in less than 6 months with 0 added value over time.

That's for the product, I think people talk a lot about community and communication from DJI not in the best way, which is a shame.

But the treatment of its beta testers is just out of this world...
2017-4-20
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

if DJI were a publicly traded company I'd be short selling them like mad.

DJI's time at the top is fleeting, their complete lack of honesty and customer service will be the death of the company.  Other customer service oriented companies will innovate, catch up and eat DJI's lunch.  All the customers that DJI have lied to and screwed over won't hesitate to jump to a new platform if everything else is equal.

2017-4-21
Use props
tokenbrit
First Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

Dnerve Posted at 2017-4-20 16:44
Well, the absolute fall in disgrace of the P4 since the mavic release is obvious.

No support, no communication, DJI turned a very expensive product obsolete in less than 6 months with 0 added value over time.

Certainly doesn't pay to be an early adopter does it? I love my P4, but I'm disappointed that it's being neglected by its creators so soon.
2017-4-21
Use props
Nevillejp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

hungdang Posted at 2017-4-20 16:04
I am so sorry for the Beta team, I think DJI should do something for the beta team
1. Allow beta team to install the current offical version (at least)
2. Roll out the new version for everyone

As a Beta Tester myself, I'm all in favor of Number 3
2017-4-21
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.4
Ireland

I guess they are more busy and interested in their announcement...

https://www.facebook.com/DJIAmericas/videos/1896390917300389/
2017-4-21
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Malta

They simply don't realise that while the P4 might be obsolete on their product road map, the owners are NOT obsolete. A little over a year ago and we were the ones paying for cutting edge technology and when the P5 and P5P hit, we are the ones most likely to be ready for an upgrade. Drones aren't like phones. The market is much more finite. If they want to remain at the top, they need to work on retention skills.
2017-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules