Is DJI abandoning its loyal beta testers?
39551 586 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-4-27 22:50
I was just frustrated. I don't have the time or the energy to troll a forum. At least it prompted a response on the other thread from Stephen. As you say, it doesn't make a difference to the firmware, but it does emphasise the fact that the mods are steering well clear of the topic. Just after some form of official statement

I understand - very well... :-(
2017-4-27
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

At this point. I really think the beta testers were testing p4a firmware. Not one response in this whole thread. If firmware was coming I'd think they would tell us. Or at least let the beta testers know. Dji being quiet about this topic has really raised my suspicions.
2017-4-28
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I think they delay the firmware of phantom 4 for a while to sell P4A.
When the goggles is out the P4 firmware will be out too
2017-4-28
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

The lack of communication is appalling.  Clearly DJI has abandoned its beta testers and left them to twist slowly in the wind.  Such conduct clearly demonstrates they have not the moral integrity to deserve my future business.

Jim Watkins,

Burbank, CA
2017-4-29
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

Jim you are very correct, moderators could clearly chime in , go above and beyond and find out why the delay , is it because of software conflict or something other let us know please, my second remote is now starting to show symptons as the 1st remote as it wont fully charge and am not impressed , this will be my last DJI product and my company will move on to something new Cheers and Good Luck all
2017-4-29
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2017-3-30 09:56
Yes we are listening and have never stopped.  Enjoy.

Hi Tahoe ED
Can you please update us on the release of the new firmware? All the Beta Testers have done the testing and they have not been rewarded for their part. DJI have a great product line but they are destroying it by the lack of customer service/communication and broken promises. DJI have to remember that without customers their company would not exist. Some communication as to what is going on would go a long way. This need to be sorted out for the Beta Testers. Don't forget your customers.
2017-4-30
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 703684 ft
New Zealand

Just got this from online chat with support people:-

They just simply don't have any plans to release a firmware update on the phantom 4 yet. They are trying to make sure that the firmware update will be benificial for ensuring great flight experience for the users.

so what that means is anybodies guess
2017-4-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Nevillejp Posted at 2017-4-30 15:32
Just got this from online chat with support people:-

They just simply don't have any plans to release a firmware update on the phantom 4 yet. They are trying to make sure that the firmware update will be benificial for ensuring great flight experience for the users.

Thanks for sharing Neville. I actually don't believe the beta team, nor support, are actually in the loop for what comes next - I suspect it's in the hands of DJI's marketing team i.e. what's going to help sales for the craft they want now to sell?

DJI have obviously so much on their roadmap that they have to maintain a cracking pace to deliver it - and something probably has to drop off the legacy end. But they appear not to realise that at this price-point customers aren't going to 'dump the old to buy the new' every 12 months, like their drones are something disposable. Can they be assuming that their new models will entice a new generation of customers to buy into the drone market each time? That's a big risk if so, as it's still a developing space.

I'm still hopeful DJI will catch the P4 firmware up. I have to be - I can't continue keeping batteries aside for use within my P4, and others for use within my P4P. Like the goggles, DJI advertise full compatibility across models, so they eventually have to make-good with the P4 (which I only bought last August).
2017-4-30
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
New Zealand

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-4-30 16:24
Thanks for sharing Neville. I actually don't believe the beta team, nor support, are actually in the loop for what comes next - I suspect it's in the hands of DJI's marketing team i.e. what's going to help sales for the craft they want now to sell?

DJI have obviously so much on their roadmap that they have to maintain a cracking pace to deliver it - and something probably has to drop off the legacy end. But they appear not to realise that at this price-point customers aren't going to 'dump the old to buy the new' every 12 months, like their drones are something disposable. Can they be assuming that their new models will entice a new generation of customers to buy into the drone market each time? That's a big risk if so, as it's still a developing space.

I don't believe anything they say either but every now and then I take my frustration out on the support people just to see what BS they try and spin me.
2017-4-30
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-4-30 16:24

I suspect that you're absolutely correct. I have been in these threads for over a year now and have watched the responses from a range of DJI online reps and have also been on the chat line on one or two occasions. It must be frustrating for the online reps because they likely only find out about firmware and software  releases at the same time as we do and they are almost certainly prohibited from disclosing any snippets of information that they might come across within their own organisation.  Irrespective of what the reps may know or not know, the end user experience for owners has been less than satisfactory. As a company, their customer relationship management and communication has been  far from acceptable . Even when information is made available (ie the release documents), it rarely gives full or accurate details. I note, in particular, a P3 firmware update that added geo-fencing and a subsequent update where no mention was made of the fact that third party batteries were deliberately invalidated. I would have thought that both of the above would have been worthy of a mention in the release notes at that time but DJI chose not to declare either.
A customer's product experience is determined by both the product itself and the support they receive from the manufacturer/supplier. Whilst DJI's products have generally been good, their support model obviously has many flaws based on the experiences of those in these threads.
It would be very short sighted to believe that this will not have a negative impact on future success.
I hope that the senior management at DJI will ultimately realise that their success relies just as much on customer relationship  as their actual products.
2017-4-30
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Can someone from DJI with credibility please update us as to what is going on with the new firmware update?
2017-5-1
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

Yeah guys, chat support use templates and empty formulas. That answer meant nothing at all except go on now, I've other chats to deal with.

2017-5-1
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-4-30 21:40
I suspect that you're absolutely correct. I have been in these threads for over a year now and have watched the responses from a range of DJI online reps and have also been on the chat line on one or two occasions. It must be frustrating for the online reps because they likely only find out about firmware and software  releases at the same time as we do and they are almost certainly prohibited from disclosing any snippets of information that they might come across within their own organisation.  Irrespective of what the reps may know or not know, the end user experience for owners has been less than satisfactory. As a company, their customer relationship management and communication has been  far from acceptable . Even when information is made available (ie the release documents), it rarely gives full or accurate details. I note, in particular, a P3 firmware update that added geo-fencing and a subsequent update where no mention was made of the fact that third party batteries were deliberately invalidated. I would have thought that both of the above would have been worthy of a mention in the release notes at that time but DJI chose not to declare either.
A customer's product experience is determined by both the product itself and the support they receive from the manufacturer/supplier. Whilst DJI's products have generally been good, their support model obviously has many flaws based on the experiences of those in these threads.
It would be very short sighted to believe that this will not have a negative impact on future success.

I have to agree with you completely! I have gone through online chat support and been told to go ahead and fly with a battery that had a cracked shell right next to the release button on the bottom (started as a stress crack but is under warranty still). I rated that online chat as angry and told them that their online chat support is irresponsible.. Called the telephone support number - they looked at the picture they pulled from my online chat and told me to not use it anymore and they opened up a repair case for me. I said that the online chat rep told me it was okay to fly, and the rep on the phone laughed and said "no no no, you can't fly with the battery that way - please send it back for repair.."  Something is lacking in their standards department - the company is out of sync.. Maybe they are growing too quickly and their culture is not working for how fast they have grown - I have seen that happen first hand where I USED to work..
2017-5-1
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-4-30 21:40

It's unfortunate because they have some fantastic products and until this experience with beta testing, I really was a loyal and enthusiastic customer eager to recommend DJI.  Unfortunately, this experience has changed the way I feel about this company.  It's regrettable and it was completely unnecessary.
2017-5-1
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I'm a technology journalist in London, and while my 'beat' doesn't exactly cover consumer drones, many of my buddies - who work for more mainstream publications - will be forced to listen to me moan about this in the pub. Hopefully one of them will pick it up. The lack of firmware is not a story. Using beta testers and then hanging them out to dry - that's a story.
2017-5-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-5-1 05:47
.... The lack of firmware is not a story. Using beta testers and then hanging them out to dry - that's a story.

I have to agree. But here's the twist of the knife - we beta test with our own, purchased craft!

I also beta test products for Netgear (currently one new product right now, in fact). They send the testers the kit they want us to test, keep us up-to-date with activity through the test period, and communicate closure. It's a well-oiled machine each time - very professional. One product I tested was a new high-end wireless modem router, and even 6 months after the test finished the beta lead emailed everyone to advise that a new firmware update for the released version would not work with the beta unit without another step (which I took), and all good. It's still my primary modem router at home today.

What's my point?  Because the price point for the hardware/software to be tested is different, DJI are therefore unlikely to be willing to provide the kit to test. This places significant risk on the beta testers as a result, and subsequently it's a serious commitment on the part of the tester to be willing to be involved. Disappointingly, respect for this commitment has not been returned by DJI, and this is now ripe for a public relations disaster for them.

Swapping my beta P4 (which they can sell as a refurb) with a currently-supported P4A would be a nice gesture for DJI to now make amends...
2017-5-1
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Even if they give us the choice to install the beta ahead of release and then its our risk. Im saying this for the people who don't have these modes yet
2017-5-1
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

It appears to me that DJI doesn't care about their loyal customers or future sales from past customers. If they did they update the loyal Beta testers.
2017-5-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hungdang Posted at 2017-4-28 07:33
I think they delay the firmware of phantom 4 for a while to sell P4A.
When the goggles is out the P4 firmware will be out too

"When the goggles is out the P4 firmware will be out too"

That's what I would bet on, given that a couple of new flight modes and gimbal & yaw control are listed as P4 features (as well as P4P & P4A) in the DJI goggles manual.

Unless of course it's a typo

So when are the pre-order being delivered, middle of May ?
2017-5-2
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Hi Aardvark
You might be right. It would be nice if DJI could update the Beta testers and let them know as they have put hours of testing into the new flight modes. I am hopeful they will do the right thing and look after the Beta testers.
2017-5-2
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

A thread more than a month old 6600+ views, 5 pages of posts and only a single pointless post by a mod...

Whatever our assumptions over our monologues and whatever will happen, this public silence or private with the beta testers is just a disgrace and shameful.

Shame on DJI for openly disrespecting not only their most loyal and trustful users, the beta testers, but its entire customer base.

Never seen something like it and never thought I'd say this but the culture gap is huge and in spite of their undisputable technological supremacy in this market, they lack pretty much everything else.

Was seriously considering expanding my gear set this summer as I am planning to acquire my commercial licence and DJI wont be on my shopping list as there is no way on earth I am going to invest so much with no return through support, transparency and honesty.

Money can't buy you Love DJI.

2017-5-2
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

It's not going to happen...
2017-5-2
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Bump , to keep it at the top and let people be reminded  of what awaits them in a few months after having purchased the latest and greatest from DJI....
2017-5-4
Use props
jesper n
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84501 ft
Sweden

This is not ok,,,I was willing to help out and try the beta software,,,It`s not 100% secure the beta so a don`t trust it.Give me á opertunerty to downgrade or something else...THIS IS HORRIBLE.....
2017-5-4
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I think even the faithful are starting to lose hope. I guess when the goggles ship, we will have our final answer. All I know is that I've never seen such radio silence from DJI on this forum. Common sense suggests this means they have been told not to comment on the matter. Make if that what you will. Could be a good sign. Or a bad sign. Only time will tell. All I know is I will never volunteer my birds for beta testing, no matter how sweet the carrot
2017-5-4
Use props
Nevillejp
lvl.4
New Zealand

Well I have just checked my DJI account and have noticed a credit of $AUD73.67 which was added on the 13th of April and can only presume it is our reward for the Beta testing, so maybe all is not lost, anybody else notice this?
2017-5-4
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Ireland

Nevillejp Posted at 2017-5-4 15:36
Well I have just checked my DJI account and have noticed a credit of $AUD73.67 which was added on the 13th of April and can only presume it is our reward for the Beta testing, so maybe all is not lost, anybody else notice this?

Yeah, several beta testers reported getting the reward a few weeks ago...Doesn't seem to be a particular sign for anything at this stage...
2017-5-4
Use props
jesper n
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84501 ft
Sweden

Nevillejp Posted at 2017-5-4 15:36

I have not recived anything from dji.
2017-5-4
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Let's keep this thread up the top DJI might listen then.
2017-5-5
Use props
Dronald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

DJI get your  heads out of the sand and realise that this is the problem which you have to tackle and that it is better to do it now rather than later.
2017-5-5
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's been up top for a month. Hasn't made the blindest bit of difference
2017-5-5
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

They are probably busy with the new beta testers for P4P:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 5410&fromuid=583619

2017-5-5
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

Dnerve Posted at 2017-5-4 16:16
Yeah, several beta testers reported getting the reward a few weeks ago...Doesn't seem to be a particular sign for anything at this stage...

Nothing in mine.  I still have loyalty credits sitting at "Available Soon" from a January purchase.
2017-5-5
Use props
Driller35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1106 ft
Thailand

I never recieved sweet tweet as well
2017-5-5
Use props
Dronald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103576 ft
Germany

Perhaps the P4Pro Beta Testers should read this thread , so they will know what they are letting themselves into. {:4_117:}
2017-5-6
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Bump where is the firmware update DJI? I will do this every day if I have to.
2017-5-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Dronald Posted at 2017-5-6 06:01
Perhaps the P4Pro Beta Testers should read this thread , so they will know what they are letting themselves into.

Don't think it's the same - if you look at the beta firmware number reference you'll notice it's only .xx1 different from the last production firmware. My bet is that the only thing they've done is tweaked the gimbal algorithm to improve horizon integrity. Sure, a pretty major win if it works, but there's otherwise perhaps very little different. No big deal then if the P4P people get stuck on that beta...
And, of course, I'd love that fix in the P4 firmware too. Perhaps that's why DJI are holding back with the P4 release? (sure, trying to remain positive)
2017-5-6
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm trying to remain positive too. I'm telling myself that the period immediately after launch is probably when they sell a bulk of product. Users upgrade.  Those thinking about entering the market assess the  capabilities of each platform... By maintaining radio silence, they will probably shift a few more P4As. Then they will release the P4 firmware knowing that after a week or two we will forget about all this.
2017-5-7
Use props
p4ever
lvl.4
Flight distance : 681975 ft
Greece

post #199

C'mon DJI
2017-5-7
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4