Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI care refresh and water
14012 39 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Hello everyone!
I was just interested to ask whether anybody has experience in what happens with DJI Care Refresh if our drone ends up in the bottom of a lake/river/ocean, or anyway, any place that you cannot actually retrieve it from....

I'm a nature photographer, and that's the reason I ended up getting a P4 Pro, and I paid this super expensive DJI Care & Refresh warranty to have my piece of mind. However, everytime I'm near a river or lake I'm super stressed in what could happen if anything goes wrong, as, obviously, it's impossible to retrieve your drone corpse to claim your replacement.

I understand the policy of "give back your old one to get your new one", but I would expect DJI to commit to giving you a replacement if you can somehow prove it ended up in place where it's non-retrievable. But how can you do that if you don't have your microSD?

Anybody that has had experience with that? Or any DJI people to shed some light into this?

Thanks!!!
2017-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you loose it to water and can't retrieve it your care refresh is void.

If you can prove it went down because of AC malfunction then you will be entitled to replacement on warranty. You won't need to fish it out, but it will not be easy to prove this.
2017-3-24
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-24 12:40
If you loose it to water and can't retrieve it your care refresh is void.

If you can prove it went down because of AC malfunction then you will be entitled to replacement on warranty. You won't need to fish it out, but it will not be easy to prove this.

I suspected that. I think this sucks. When you're paying that super expensive -so called- warranty, you would expect you'd be covered.

I understand why they're doing this, on the other hand it is a matter of respect to their clients. Yeah, I know they clearly state that, but still, that doesn't make it right.

Especially for people who are extra careful, chances are that if sh@t happens, it will be not entirely because they did something wrong, but either because of weird behavior over water, or because of some interference that caused the bird to either fly away or hit something and crash somewhere far away and get lost.

I'm afraid that ridiculous policy will end in court, when somebody gets injured trying to retrieve his drone from an impossible place, just for DJI to honor their super-expensive Refresh warranty.
2017-3-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

As mentioned above, product that suffers water damage can be replaced under DJI Care Refresh, while the aircraft must be sent in firstly.
If you cannot retrieve it from the ocean/lake/river, it will be considered as a "fly away" case.
For more information, please visit here: http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s4
2017-3-27
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-27 20:24
As mentioned above, product that suffers water damage can be replaced under DJI Care Refresh, while the aircraft must be sent in firstly.
If you cannot retrieve it from the ocean/lake/river, it will be considered as a "fly away" case.
For more information, please visit here: http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#s4

You realize that this could lead people getting in severe danger trying to retrieve their fallen drone from impossible locations (cliffs, rivers, oceans etc.) right?

I just feel like the webpage and the description are misleading: "Now covering water damage". What else might water damage be? Spill your drink on your drone?? The first thing that should be mentioned in the Care Refresh page would be "You'll not be covered if your accident makes your drone non-retrievable".
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

betonven Posted at 2017-3-28 06:45
You realize that this could lead people getting in severe danger trying to retrieve their fallen drone from impossible locations (cliffs, rivers, oceans etc.) right?

I just feel like the webpage and the description are misleading: "Now covering water damage". What else might water damage be? Spill your drink on your drone??  The first thing that should be mentioned in the Care Refresh page would be "You'll not be covered if your accident makes your drone non-retrievable".

I suppose if dji allowed for falling into lakes and rivers they would leave themselves open to all kinds of abuse. also if you want to go diving its your responsibility to make sure your safe, make sure you have your water wings on speed dos and your snorkel. LOL
2017-3-28
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-28 06:56
I suppose if dji allowed for falling into lakes and rivers they would leave themselves open to all kinds of abuse. also if you want to go diving its your responsibility to make sure your safe, make sure you have your water wings on speed dos and your snorkel. LOL

Well, for sure. I didn't say it's illegal, I just think that this policy will always cover people that might be doing stupid things with their drones (flying in populated areas, close to each other, racing, flying around buildings), but leaves you completely abandoned when you're actually flying in a scenery, away from crowds or structures (and where if something goes wrong, your drone will be potentially non retrievable).
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

betonven Posted at 2017-3-28 07:03
Well, for sure. I didn't say it's illegal, I just think that this policy will always cover people that might be doing stupid things with their drones (flying in populated areas, close to each other, racing, flying around buildings), but leaves you completely abandoned when you're actually flying in a scenery, away from crowds or structures (and where if something goes wrong, your drone will be potentially non retrievable).

the anomaly of insurance.
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

betonven Posted at 2017-3-28 06:45

I just feel like the webpage and the description are misleading: "Now covering water damage". What else might water damage be? Spill your drink on your drone??  The first thing that should be mentioned in the Care Refresh page would be "You'll not be covered if your accident makes your drone non-retrievable".

Thank you for your suggestion and feedback, I've forwarded it to the management to make it more clear.
2017-3-29
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146913 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Strongly recommend you to take a look at following article including all information you need to know: DJI Care and DJI Care Refresh Review
2017-10-29
Use props
fans34f80897
New

Germany

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-29 00:11
Thank you for your suggestion and feedback, I've forwarded it to the management to make it more clear.

Is there any update about this issue? Today I have the case that my drone crashed against a tree and thereafter did fall into the water and is non-retrievable.
2020-4-26
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans34f80897 Posted at 4-26 09:20
Is there any update about this issue? Today I have the case that my drone crashed against a tree and thereafter did fall into the water and is non-retrievable.

Hi there, I'm sorry about the accident. The DJI Care Refresh does not cover the situation that lost or partially lost aircraft, gimbal, or accessories.
https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#faq

We appreciate your kind understanding.
2020-4-27
Use props
nova2711
lvl.1

Ireland

Hi guys!

A terrible accident happened this morning. While flying my DJI Mini, it suddenly completely lost its control, started spinning and crashed into the sea. The visibility was great, it was flying near, definitely less than 100m/320ft, you can see me wearing a red (not orange) jacket, the wind wasn't strong, there were no birds. My partner even jumped into the freezing Irish Sea but since that happened in the harbour, it was too deep to retrieve it.

Here's the video of the accident https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3dht1xqkhhqkez/2020_06_01_05_19_27_Cache.mp4?dl=0

Have any of you experienced or heard of anything similar?
2020-6-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

nova2711 Posted at 6-1 00:01
Hi guys!

A terrible accident happened this morning. While flying my DJI Mini, it suddenly completely lost its control, started spinning and crashed into the sea. The visibility was great, it was flying near, definitely less than 100m/320ft, you can see me wearing a red (not orange) jacket, the wind wasn't strong, there were no birds. My partner even jumped into the freezing Irish Sea but since that happened in the harbour, it was too deep to retrieve it.

I have just replied to your own thread: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=217025 Please check and keep us updated in your own thread, we will keep following up, thanks.
2020-6-1
Use props
djiuser_nToUxAyZOpyW
New

United States

Don’t be stupid. If you drown in a lake trying to retrieve your drone, your estate is not going to successfully sue DJI.

If you are that stupid, your family will probably be happy to have you off their books!

Your cheap ass knows why the warranty requires you to send back a broken drone.

Quit being a dope!
2020-8-12
Use props
lesmex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 359619 ft
United States

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-10-29 00:55
Strongly recommend you to take a look at following article including all information you need to know: DJI Care and DJI Care Refresh Review

Hi!
If I have the care refresh and the drone by accident gets submerged on the bay, and I can't retrieve it, would DJI send me a replacement?
2021-6-11
Use props
lesmex
lvl.2
United States

That happened to me twice, I always fly over the bay waters. The only free of tall buildings area where I live in Miami beach FL.
2021-6-11
Use props
lesmex
lvl.2
United States

betonven Posted at 2017-3-27 19:57
I suspected that. I think this sucks. When you're paying that super expensive -so called- warranty, you would expect you'd be covered.

I understand why they're doing this, on the other hand it is a matter of respect to their clients. Yeah, I know they clearly state that, but still, that doesn't make it right.

They dont respect the customers; On many phone calls, they hang up the phone on me. The drones are super sophisticated and well made. The customer service is precarious. DJI will be more profitable if they better the customer service.  I bet DJI has lost many clients due to the rudimentary customer service.
2021-6-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

lesmex Posted at 6-11 22:40
Hi!
If I have the care refresh and the drone by accident gets submerged on the bay, and I can't retrieve it, would DJI send me a replacement?

Hi. DJI Care Refresh flyaway replacement service supports the DJI AIR 2S, DJI Mini 2 and Mavic Air 2.
If the above product flies away, after completing the replacement service process, you can obtain a functional product from DJI. For more details, refer to the replacement service process in the Terms of Service. https://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh/info#terms
2021-6-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

lesmex Posted at 6-11 22:53
They dont respect the customers; On many phone calls, they hang up the phone on me. The drones are super sophisticated and well made. The customer service is precarious. DJI will be more profitable if they better the customer service.  I bet DJI has lost many clients due to the rudimentary customer service.

Hi lesmex, we are sorry for the experience you encountered. Could you please provide us the case number to confirm the said issue? We will try our best to help.
2021-6-11
Use props
lesmex
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-11 23:50
Hi lesmex, we are sorry for the experience you encountered. Could you please provide us the case number to confirm the said issue? We will try our best to help.

Hi!

ID# 201 528 15.

It happens almost on any phone call, 15 minutes into the conversation. It's sad. I can't believe it's because we get disconnected.

Thank you.
2021-6-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

lesmex Posted at 6-12 17:34
Hi!

ID# 201 528 15.

Hi Lesmex, we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused you, we have already escalated your case to our related department and they will try to contact you as soon as possible. Thanks for your response.
2021-6-13
Use props
lesmex
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 6-13 02:25
Hi Lesmex, we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience caused you, we have already escalated your case to our related department and they will try to contact you as soon as possible. Thanks for your response.

The Same, they say they will call me back,
if I get disconnected and never do.
2021-6-13
Use props
lesmex
lvl.2
United States

Thank you anyways. I know is not your fault.
2021-6-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

lesmex Posted at 6-13 13:41
Thank you anyways. I know is not your fault.

Hi Lesmex, sorry for the waiting, we will put an eye on your case and urge our related team to contact you as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.
2021-6-14
Use props
lesmex
lvl.2
United States

nova2711 Posted at 2020-6-1 00:01
Hi guys!

Now flyaway is covered; you dont need to dive, retrieve the drone and send it
2021-6-14
Use props
djiuser_mZUyNblLOn1I
New
Flight distance : 86099 ft
United States

I’m currently dealing with this, also. I was recording when my MM went down in the Atlantic Ocean. This is my first time trying to use my DJI Care Refresh. DJI calls this a “Fly Away” as a catch all and conveniently, they don’t cover a “Fly Away” on the MM. This was not a “Fly Away” this was an error on my part (and my 9 year old).

Now they claim to give a 15% discount on the price of a drone and battery but the price they quote is about $10 less than what I paid for the MM Fly More Combo.

What use does DJI have for a MM submerged in salt water with a lithium battery inside anyway?
2021-7-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_mZUyNblLOn1I Posted at 7-5 03:13
I’m currently dealing with this, also. I was recording when my MM went down in the Atlantic Ocean. This is my first time trying to use my DJI Care Refresh. DJI calls this a “Fly Away” as a catch all and conveniently, they don’t cover a “Fly Away” on the MM. This was not a “Fly Away” this was an error on my part (and my 9 year old).

Now they claim to give a 15% discount on the price of a drone and battery but the price they quote is about $10 less than what I paid for the MM Fly More Combo.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. I have managed to get your case number via your forum account. Your situation will be escalated to our supervisor team to follow up, we'll have someone contact you within working hours. Thanks for your patience.
2021-7-5
Use props
k26
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377615 ft
Canada

What was the outcome of this? I am in the same situation and this coverage surprise is very disappointing so far, confused about fly away coverage too.
2021-7-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

k26 Posted at 7-31 08:59
What was the outcome of this? I am in the same situation and this coverage surprise is very disappointing so far, confused about fly away coverage too.

Hi there, I noticed your new post and we had replied to it. Please report the case as suggested, we will do our best to help you out.
2021-8-1
Use props
k26
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377615 ft
Canada

Thanks Susan!
2021-8-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, I have replied to your post: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 219&pid=2530472, please check it. Thanks.
2021-8-3
Use props
djiuser_Ee5tPaoTeOpK
New
Flight distance : 169350 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, I have the Mini 2 and I was flying FPV under a bridge and I accidentally hit the bottom of the bridge which made the drone to fly weirdly for a few seconds almost balanced itself out and then just gave in and crashed. I have the care fresh package, I did send a repair form and in it I stated the issue and paid the amount but after reading this I don’t know what to expect.

Anyone can help?

It’s in river jubilee and it is actually unsafe to swim there. It is still in the same place not far from me.

If someone has any information please share ?

Thanks
2021-9-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_Ee5tPaoTeOpK Posted at 9-20 14:18
Hi, I have the Mini 2 and I was flying FPV under a bridge and I accidentally hit the bottom of the bridge which made the drone to fly weirdly for a few seconds almost balanced itself out and then just gave in and crashed. I have the care fresh package, I did send a repair form and in it I stated the issue and paid the amount but after reading this I don’t know what to expect.

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the accident with your drone. I've managed to get your case number via your forum account. As per check, the shipping label has been sent to your email, could you please check it? If there are any other concerns, please feel free to let me know. Thanks.
2021-9-20
Use props
djiuser_Ee5tPaoTeOpK
New
United Kingdom

Hi, I do not have the drone it is still at the bottom of the river, can I still use my Care fresh as a flyaway ?
2021-9-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_Ee5tPaoTeOpK Posted at 9-20 22:46
Hi, I do not have the drone it is still at the bottom of the river, can I still use my Care fresh as a flyaway ?

Hi there, if you are unable to retrieve the drone, please submit a Flyway case like the picture below shows. Our corresponding team will follow up on it and provide further assistance.
2021-9-21
Use props
djiuser_Ee5tPaoTeOpK
New
United Kingdom

Hi, thanks for replying.

But is it the case that if I send my log and it can show it went down without me holding stick down can I get a replacement ?

Also I have already paid £45 for the postage
2021-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

You're most welcome. I have sent you a PM, please check it.
2021-9-21
Use props
djiuser_Ee5tPaoTeOpK
New
United Kingdom

Hi,

Where can I check my messages I’m on from the laptop.

Thanks.

2021-9-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, you can check the PM (Personal Message) on your computer.

For your situation, it is recommended to request to cancel the DJI Care Refresh Express case and submit a flyaway case instead. Our support team had sent you an email, please reply back to the email, our team will provide further assistance. Thanks.
2021-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules