Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
US LAW: §91.11 Prohibition on interference with crewmembers.
848 14 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

This question is specific to UAS (drone) pilots who have regestered their drone with the FAA in the United States.
Does the below mentioned CFR apply to properly registered FAA UASs (drones)?

I ask to be prepared incase I am challenged and thereby distracted (interference) at the very least by people when I am flying my drone while complying with all federal, state and local laws.

I would like to be able to cite this regulation if someone voices continued disapproval of my legally compliant flying.

Obviously it says "aboard an aircraft", however I thought this would be a good conversation to have, I am curious to get some feedback and it could come in handy if such an occurence should arise.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 91—GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
Subpart A—General
§91.11   Prohibition on interference with crewmembers.No person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated.

Would not an intimidated, threatened, intimidated or destracted drone pilot be a dangerous situation?

Single SelectVote, Total 14 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

71.43% (10)
28.57% (4)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-3-24
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It's mainly intended to protect flight attendants.
2017-3-24
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed with DroneFlying.  Its intended to protect crew members.  Sometimes when I fly, I get so many questions about what I am doing, the quad itself, "can I see what the camera sees?", etc. that I end up letting it hover for most of the battery life.  

If someone is being rude or questing you about it (not asking questions, but questing), be polite, ask them if they would like to see what your seeing or what the quad is seeing.  Ask them if they would like to see how if fly's.  Offer to show them what pictures or videos you have taken.  The media and a hand-full of careless UAV operators has giving the rest of us a bad name, so the more info you give them to help defuse there negative thoughts about it, the better.
2017-3-24
Use props
mstevens
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19078 ft
United States

If someone is intimidating or threatening you, there are already plenty of laws in place to prohibit that irrespective of whether you're flying a drone.
2017-3-24
Use props
mstevens
lvl.1
United States

If someone is intimidating or threatening you, there are already plenty of laws in place to prohibit that irrespective of whether you're flying a drone.

If somebody is merely bugging you or whining at you, that's not really what laws are for.

The quoted regulation clearly refers to "aboard an aircraft". You really should not fly a drone while you're aboard an aircraft, but if you were a crewmember you'd already be too busy to do that anyway.
2017-3-24
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Law clearly states "aboard an aircraft being operated.". Even if it said "operating an aircraft" it is also a federal law so good luck getting that enforced locally unless you know someone in federal law enforcement. State or local police have no authority to enforce federal laws.

However, there are almost certainly state harassment laws that would apply.
2017-3-24
Use props
Range30
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Great topic! Thank you for bringing this subject up.
2017-3-25
Use props
fansa330ea39
lvl.1

United States

geofox784

Murder is a felony and local police do and can make felony arrests all the time.
2017-4-6
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-24 13:47
Agreed with DroneFlying.  Its intended to protect crew members.  Sometimes when I fly, I get so many questions about what I am doing, the quad itself, "can I see what the camera sees?", etc. that I end up letting it hover for most of the battery life.  

If someone is being rude or questing you about it (not asking questions, but questing), be polite, ask them if they would like to see what your seeing or what the quad is seeing.  Ask them if they would like to see how if fly's.  Offer to show them what pictures or videos you have taken.  The media and a hand-full of careless UAV operators has giving the rest of us a bad name, so the more info you give them to help defuse there negative thoughts about it, the better.

I think depending on the situation, your tact might be the way to go. However, some zealous people may try to open a dialogue to push an agenda or cause trouble in general. In most cases I want to be left alone to effectively pilot the drone. I am not flying my drone to appease people or to cater to their whims.

I go out of my way to not fly directly over people, intrude upon their activities or make them feel like I am spying on them.

2017-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-24 13:47

Great advice, I actually did this with a neighbor lady that was walking her dog and she stopped and asked me some questions. I was flying the Mavic over my yard and showed her the camera view and how to operate the drone with the sticks. She thought it was very cool of me to take the time to show her...

As she was starting to walk away and yelled over to me again... have you crashed before? I said not lately   But everyone that fly's has eventually crashed something.  "Hopefully not a $1000 drone "

Rich
2017-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

mstevens Posted at 2017-3-24 16:30

I like your avatar !  very creative  

Rich
2017-4-6
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-4-6 15:25
I think depending on the situation, your tact might be the way to go. However, some zealous people may try to open a dialogue to push an agenda or cause trouble in general. In most cases I want to be left alone to effectively pilot the drone. I am not flying my drone to appease people or to cater to their whims.

I go out of my way to not fly directly over people, intrude upon their activities or make them feel like I am spying on them.

Agree with you...

"I go out of my way to not fly directly over people, intrude upon their activities or make them feel like I am spying on them."

I, too, go out of my way.
2017-4-7
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-6 15:35
Great advise, I actually did this with a neighbor lady that was walking her dog and she stopped and asked me some questions. I was flying the Mavic over my yard and showed her the camera view and how to operate the drone with the sticks. She thought it was very cool of me to take the time to show her...

As she was starting to walk away and yelled over to me again... have you crashed before? I said not lately   But everyone that fly's has eventually crashed something.  "Hopefully not a $1000 drone "

Yes, I'm finding out that it works MOST of the time...sometimes, you will just get that one, don't let it discourage you like it did me (for about 5-6 mo.)
2017-4-7
Use props
mstevens
lvl.1
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-6 15:36
I like your avatar !  very creative  

Rich

It is!

I stole it from a review on Ali Express, though, so I can take no credit.
2017-4-12
Use props
mstevens
lvl.1
United States

fansa330ea39 Posted at 2017-4-6 13:53
geofox784

Murder is a felony and local police do and can make felony arrests all the time.

"Federal offense" and "felony" aren't the same thing. In most cases, murder is not a federal offense.
2017-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules