Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal jolts during fast turns
2134 15 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I did some fast turns close to the ground and twice the gimbal jolted hard.
Didn't see this until I looked at the footage.

Did anyone experience this??
I never had any hard stroke to the gimbal or rough landing:

2017-3-24
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Yes in sports mode on left turns.. Doesn't happen on right turns.
2017-3-24
Use props
Eric13
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-24 13:36
Yes in sports mode on left turns.. Doesn't happen on right turns.

I was in P-mode though. Is this a known issue?
2017-3-24
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-3-24 13:53
I was in P-mode though. Is this a known issue?

It is something that can happen with steep banking turns.. You could try calibrating the gimbal, but the turns you were taking were pretty extreme and the gimbal can become overloaded during these types of maneuvers.. I occasionally have this happen while flying my P4 as well.. It's just a limitation of the motors I think and the heavier camera in the P4P is more susceptible to this.  Does your gimbal vibrate a lot while idle on the ground without any motors running after your flight (or even a few minutes after the AC has warmed up)?
2017-3-24
Use props
Eric13
Captain
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks!
I haven't noticed any vibrating...
2017-3-24
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happened to me today in P-Mode and the turn wasn't even very sudden/sharp. Could have been a wind issue in my case though, as my P3P used to do the same thing on windy days.
2017-3-24
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, I have seen this on both the Phantom 4 Pro and the Phantom 4. It can happen with 9+ mph wind coming from the right-hand side of the aircraft or during flights at 20+ mph to the left. On the P4 Pro, this unwanted gimbal rotation may or may not be related to a feature of the aircraft that will rotate the gimbal a full 90° to the left to take panoramic photos with the gimbal now in portrait mode.  I think this capability may make the P4Pro gimbal more susceptible to rotating in that direction during conditions noted earlier or during aggressive flying in general.
2017-3-26
Use props
COberschneider
Captain
Flight distance : 4397306 ft
  • >>>
Austria

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-3-26 04:31
Yes, I have seen this on both the Phantom 4 Pro and the Phantom 4. It can happen with 9+ mph wind coming from the right-hand side of the aircraft or during flights at 20+ mph to the left. On the P4 Pro, this unwanted gimbal rotation may or may not be related to a feature of the aircraft that will rotate the gimbal a full 90° to the left to take panoramic photos with the gimbal now in portrait mode.  I think this capability may make the P4Pro gimbal more susceptible to rotating in that direction during conditions noted earlier or during aggressive flying in general.

The P4 pro doesn't have a portrait mode feature.
2017-3-26
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

COberschneider Posted at 2017-3-26 04:48
The P4 pro doesn't have a portrait mode feature.

Yes - sorry - my error -  the portrait mode gimbal feature is only available on the DJI Mavic Pro.  After flying a friend's Mavic Pro a few weeks, he demo'd that feature. I incorrectly assumed the gimbal flopping on my P4 Pro might be related to that feature.
2017-3-26
Use props
andysibs
New
Flight distance : 31795 ft
United States

Is there a way to stop this jolting?  Mine has done it every flight and it seems like an error.  From what I've read, quite a few people have this error.. it seems to be associated with also being oversensitive to high winds.
2017-4-1
Use props
julok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3220266 ft
France

Any solutions to this problem that may damage the gimbal at the end ?
2017-6-24
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

I think the actual action saves the gimbal from damage because it has approached the maximum it can tilt. If it tried to go any further it would burn out the motors.. Try this with it on the ground and you will notice that it will actually level out in relation to the tilt itself (not the actual position of the horizon).. If there is a lot of wind from the side, the Phantom will correct it's position by tilting into the wind.. You won't notice the tilt from the ground because it's difficult to see these angles from the ground (unless ground wind speed is high as well)..
2017-6-24
Use props
Dog Man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 34380 ft
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-6-24 12:52
I think the actual action saves the gimbal from damage because it has approached the maximum it can tilt. If it tried to go any further it would burn out the motors.. Try this with it on the ground and you will notice that it will actually level out in relation to the tilt itself (not the actual position of the horizon).. If there is a lot of wind from the side, the Phantom will correct it's position by tilting into the wind.. You won't notice the tilt from the ground because it's difficult to see these angles from the ground (unless ground wind speed is high as well)..

Know problem, DJI, will need software update to fix it or hardware, problem started with the P4 in sport mode.
2017-6-24
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Dog Man Posted at 2017-6-24 13:36
Know problem, DJI, will need software update to fix it or hardware, problem started with the P4 in sport mode.

Yeah I have seen it in my P4 as well.. I think it's basically the Phantom's body can tilt more than the gimbal and there isn't any real solution to it but get a more expensive drone.. I love my P4P - I don't try to make huge fast movements when filming with it even when recording fast moving events (jet skies ect..)  My preference is to break apart the filming to get segments that look good and get rid of the parts that look bad.. If I have a twitch in my footage.. I fade to the next scene..
2017-6-25
Use props
julok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3220266 ft
France

Really disappointed by this issue, the P4P is useless for me if i have to "limit" speed or some large turns. For an high end drone (1600euros !) it is not acceptable and it is not written anywhere that you have to limit yourself during flight !
2017-7-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the link Eric, i too have had this issue for a long time, happened again yesterday, i was in atti mode and gentle turns to the left produced this issue, theres been a couple of times where i have actually seen the whole craft do the very same thing but that was in sports mode.....
2018-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules