Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why different battery firmware for P4 and P4P
520 8 2017-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Exactly what are the differences, and why do they have to have different firmware?  I would love to be able to exchange the batteries between my P4 and my P4P without having to update the firmware every time I fly. Does anyone else have this issue, and have you ever flown without updating the firmware? Am I risking my Phantoms by doing this? DJI - do you have any plans on bringing the two platforms to a common battery firmware? They are batteries - why the need for two different firmwares??

Thank you!!
2017-3-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Mobilcams,

Are both your P4 and P4 Pro systems (including Remote Controller and Aircraft firmware) up to date and are you using iOS or Android.  You are flying a network of at least three computers in each case.  Are you using the same tablet for the P4 and P4 pro?  Is the DJI GO 4 app up to date?  Are each of the battery's firmware up to date?  Once all your computers are up to date, there should be no problems with the batteries.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-25
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Well, I have both up to date with the aircraft firmware. When I go to move a battery last used in one or the other and stay on the home screen (the one with the fly button in GO), after you power on the AC and let it initialize it will scan your hardware and notify you on that screen there is a firmware update. You can hit fly or even stay in the camera view and never see these updates, but if you are on the homescreen it will notify you need the update (oversight from DJI?).. Hopefully it isn't critical..

Using iPhone 7plus
2017-3-25
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Battery firmware is not separate, and is incorporated within each specific craft's firmware.

Late last year, DJI released a P4P firmware version with an optimised battery firmware (the version before the current, I think). DJI have since then not released a P4 firmware version which incorporates this same battery firmware level - but it's incorporated in the next (I confirmed this with the P4 Beta in January, which I'm now sitting on as I have no choice but to). Sadly, you'll have to wait for the prod release of the next P4 firmware to have this resolved.

In the meantime, whenever you receive an 'incompatible firmware' message after you move a battery between models, the only option is to refresh the craft firmware (to apply the compatible firmware for the installed battery).

[edit]: You know when a craft firmware has incorporated a new battery firmware version and the battery is being updated, when the two middle LEDs on the battery start flashing.
2017-3-26
Use props
barrub3d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53333 ft
Italy

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-26 16:26
Battery firmware is not separate, and is incorporated within each specific craft's firmware.

Late last year, DJI released a P4P firmware version with an optimised battery firmware (the version before the current, I think). DJI have since then not released a P4 firmware version which incorporates this same battery firmware level - but it's incorporated in the next (I confirmed this with the P4 Beta in January, which I'm now sitting on as I have no choice but to). Sadly, you'll have to wait for the prod release of the next P4 firmware to have this resolved.

in my case i've a p4pro and i bought 2 p4 battery..just arrived today..
what i have to do to have no problem?
2017-3-28
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

barrub3d Posted at 2017-3-28 06:49

Just stay in the home screen (the one with the "FLY" button) and start your phantom up. Wait on that screen and it will check for firmware updates. If one is needed it will tell you and you will slide a button to update. If none is needed it will tell you everything is okay and up to date. Do this for each battery.
2017-3-28
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-26 16:26

Oh wow, the P4 beta tester fiasco.  Thank you for sticking your neck out for us and now apparently not being able to fly reliably until the new firmware is out..
2017-3-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

barrub3d Posted at 2017-3-28 06:49

No problem - just apply the latest P4P firmware while each battery is installed.

Update one, then when Assistant 2 returns to the firmware screen (I always update using PC), power the craft down, swap batteries with the other, then power the craft back up again. Assistant 2 should then report 'incompatible firmware' - meaning the battery - and you just perform a firmware refresh to update that battery.
[edit]: I note Mobilcams offered the same advice (but using the app).

2017-3-28
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-28 07:02
Oh wow, the P4 beta tester fiasco.  Thank you for sticking your neck out for us and now apparently not being able to fly reliably until the new firmware is out..

Thanks, but to be honest, once the compatible GO came out (umm, 4.0.6?), I've had no issues with it. Even the 'limp gimbal' I experienced once during testing hasn't re-occurred. And I get to move batteries cleanly between my P4 (Beta) and P4P.
I just object to being left on the Beta for over 2 months without any word from DJI. Good communication is a beautiful and powerful thing...
2017-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules