Calibrate the mavic compass at each start?
4960 15 2017-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 654167 ft
Italy

It's normal that the mavic have to be kalibrated each time when you'll take-off?
I have to do the kalibration each time and it's a bit frustrating to do this every single time when you want to fly. Anyone a idea why this is like this?
Thanks
Maxoometet
2017-3-25
Use props
fans5fee2f27
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1147559 ft
United States

You don't have to every time. In fact i think its nkt good to do that. I read you only need to recalibrate if you go 100 miles from your previous flight spot
2017-3-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No you shouldn't need to calibrate compass , unless you are prompted. There is a great danger if you are getting ready to fly and you receive a warning like magnetic interference please calibrate compass, if this is the type of warning your getting. You should not calibrate but move to another area where it is clear of interference like an open field, if you still are getting a warning here it is most likely you have calibrated your compass in an area where there was interference and your compass has taken on the peculiarities of the area you have calibrated your compass, so when you fly out of these areas you are in danger of having a bad compass.

How to solve this.
1/ take your AC into an open field
2/ make sure no metal objects, reinforced concrete remove your watch jewellery phone and any other metal objects you might have on you, also keep remote control distance of 10 meters away.
3/ turn on your RC and AC and preform compass calibration, when you have finished check in the app your compass reading make sure it's ok, if not you will have to do again.
4/ you shouldn't have to do anymore calibration unless prompted by your app
5/ if you get a warning before take off of interference, Don't Calibrate, just move your AC to a location where there is no interference.

Interference can come from many things, Steele metal reinforced concrete all magnetic metals.
Hope this helps.
2017-3-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans5fee2f27 Posted at 2017-3-25 02:59
You don't have to every time. In fact i think its nkt good to do that. I read you only need to recalibrate if you go 100 miles from your previous flight spot

You will read in the manual I think page 48, only calibrate compass when prompted, travelling 100 miles does not require you to do compass calibration.
If you are travelling I would suggest you start up your RC and AC , if you have no warnings, just raise your AC 8 feet hover fly forward backward left right up down just a couple of feet, each time returning  to your position of hover if your AC returns to horizontal each time you will then know you have good compass good IMU good gps and your ready to fly.
2017-3-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It's normal that the mavic have to be kalibrated each time when you'll take-off?

No.

I have to do the kalibration each time and it's a bit frustrating to do this every single time when you want to fly. Anyone a idea why this is like this?

As Hallmark indicated, it's probably due to the presence of metal or some other magnetic object / substance. Without knowing more, my guess would be that you're taking off from concrete (a road or sidewalk), and as he mentioned there's normally rebar (steel rods) there. I've also seen people talking about taking off from the roof of their car, and there again you'll have the same problem with metal.
2017-3-25
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

It's easy to get a bad compass calibration , especially in the urban/city areas . That's the reason I always suggest to not do a calibration unless there is a problem . The above suggestions are good advice . One other easy method to check is to place your Mavic on the ground away from metal objects or power lines etc facing a known direction . Look at the onscreen map to see if the arrow is pointing in that direction . If it is then the compass is fine . I took mine out of the box in January directly from China and have not calibrated since . They put in the correct compass offsets for the region it was going to . If it was not shipped direct to you and you purchased through Amazon etc then you may need to do an initial calibration for your area .

Always a good idea to take a glance at the map and see if the Mavics position is where it really is before each takeoff also .
2017-3-25
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

You can always check your Compass in GO4 --  IMU calibration page at the top hightlight Compass and you can see what your accuray  
2017-3-25
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

You could have some problems with your calibration, if no sign from the App, do not do it. You must find a spot that is good when you do it. Iv'e been back and forward to Germany twice with mine have NEVER calibrated it
2017-3-25
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Attached a rear facing camera, had to do a calibration. If I ever fly without it (doubtful but maybe have to sometime), I'd re calibrate the compass.
2017-3-25
Use props
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Italy

Ok thanks for the information!
But when I boot up the AC I get always the notification: compass must be calibrate
Is this normal or could it be that the Mavic is defective?
2017-4-5
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Maxoometer Posted at 2017-4-5 01:13
But when I boot up the AC I get always the notification: compass must be calibrate

It's normal if you've moved a few miles since the last boot up. It's not normal if you landed and just changed the battery for another flight in the same location.
2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Maxoometer Posted at 2017-4-5 01:13

But when I boot up the AC I get always the notification: compass must be calibrate Is this normal or could it be that the Mavic is defective?

Where is the aircraft located when you see this message? By any chance is it near something metallic or that could be interfering with the compass such as on a road or sidewalk? If not, did you try to calibrate the compass and did it appear to succeed? If so and you still get the message every time, it's possible that your Mavic is defective.
2017-4-5
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

I calibrated only one time the compass when received the drone...nothing else ever calibrated...factory stock....never need to calibrate again...it is flying perfectly...
2017-4-5
Use props
Maxoometer
lvl.2
Italy

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-5 08:57
But when I boot up the AC I get always the notification: compass must be calibrate Is this normal or could it be that the Mavic is defective?

Where is the aircraft located when you see this message? By any chance is it near something metallic or that could be interfering with the compass such as on a road or sidewalk? If not, did you try to calibrate the compass and did it appear to succeed? If so and you still get the message every time, it's possible that your Mavic is defective.

The message appears every time I boot the AC on, so before I can start the magic I have to calibrate the compass.
This happens every time, it does't matter where I start.
2017-4-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Maxoometer Posted at 2017-4-5 10:08
The message appears every time I boot the AC on, so before I can start the magic I have to calibrate the compass.

Can you take a screenshot and post it.
2017-4-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Maxoometer Posted at 2017-4-5 10:08

If it's doing it every single time you power up any any location then something is not right. It does this when it's unfolded? because if the arms are still folded up it will do this.
And have you added anything to the aircraft like a GPS tracker or other device?
Can you post a screenshot from the compass sensor page?
You can also try to sync your flight records then delete/reinstall the app to see if the app was giving the warning and the compass sensor page is in the green on both compass 1 and 2.
Even with mine on in my office next to other aircraft I don't get a calibration message and both compass's have very low interference and both in the green.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules