Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Defective New Battery
1393 16 2017-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alefdr0
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Hi there,

This is my first post. Im also pretty new to flying.

I just purchased 2 new Batteries from Amazon and one came defective. I get no reaction when I press the power button once and no reaction when I connect to charger. Is there a fix for this issue or do I need to return it for a replacment? If so, who do I return to? Amazon or DJI?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers
2017-3-25
Use props
adrian8891
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2643110 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Hi. As far as You have possibility to return product in terms on "not as described" - I would return to Amazon.
2017-3-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

...When you press the power button once?  
2017-3-25
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried leaving battery connected to charger for a couple of hours, see if that will bring it to life ?
2017-3-25
Use props
Alefdr0
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Aardvark Posted at 2017-3-25 11:24
Have you tried leaving battery connected to charger for a couple of hours, see if that will bring it to life ?

I have not. Im afraid that isn't safe. isn't it?
2017-3-25
Use props
Alefdr0
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-25 10:27
...When you press the power button once?

I've pressed the button once, twice and repeatedly
2017-3-25
Use props
Alefdr0
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

adrian8891 Posted at 2017-3-25 10:26
Hi. As far as You have possibility to return product in terms on "not as described" - I would return to Amazon.

Returning it isn't impossible but I live in the Dominican Republic, so retuning for a replacement  will probably be more expensive then getting a new one
2017-3-25
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alefdr0 Posted at 2017-3-25 12:30

It shouldn't be unsafe unless it is damaged, but you can always monitor it anyway for safety. My suspicion is that it may have been sitting in storage for a while and the battery is almost completely depleted.

If it did charge up then you could always run it through a couple of charge discharge cycles on the ground to make sure all was OK before flying with it.

Of course it might be that it has a fault and needs to be returned.
2017-3-25
Use props
meedz24
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1916 ft
Canada

Alefdr0 Posted at 2017-3-25 12:30

My guess is the battery was stored at whatever warehouse long term - and if not left with some juice, lithium ion batteries will 'die'... It's always recommended to store lithium batteries long term at 40-50%.

To bring them back to life usually just leaving them plugged in will do the trick. You likely won't get any green lights, battery probably will not even recognize it is being charged for at least a few hours.

I actually have this exact thing happen to my 2009 Macbook air with a lithium ion battery. If it's abandoned for a few months it holds 0 charge, and does not recognize it's charging. Usually have to leave it 24 hours for it to come alive - and then it's perfectly normal.

But if you'd rather avoid the nuisance, just request a replacement with Amazon.
2017-3-25
Use props
Alefdr0
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Aardvark Posted at 2017-3-25 12:38
It shouldn't be unsafe unless it is damaged, but you can always monitor it anyway for safety. My suspicion is that it may have been sitting in storage for a while and the battery is almost completely depleted.

If it did charge up then you could always run it through a couple of charge discharge cycles on the ground to make sure all was OK before flying with it.

OK. Monitor what exactly? How would I know if something "Uncool" was about to go down?
2017-3-25
Use props
Alefdr0
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

meedz24 Posted at 2017-3-25 12:42
My guess is the battery was stored at whatever warehouse long term - and if not left with some juice, lithium ion batteries will 'die'... It's always recommended to store lithium batteries long term at 40-50%.

To bring them back to life usually just leaving them plugged in will do the trick. You likely won't get any green lights, battery probably will not even recognize it is being charged for at least a few hours.

Is there anything in particular I should watch out for if I decide to go ahead and connect it to the charger for a couple of hours?

Like I said previously, since I live in the DR sending it back will be more expensive then getting a new one. So I'm holding on to hope but I obviously don't want it blowing or catching fire in my home.
2017-3-25
Use props
meedz24
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1916 ft
Canada

I would just monitor for excessive heat, or if you see the battery start to deform somehow - I really don't think you'll have an issue, and wouldn't be worried.

Before you do plug it in, just confirm the battery is in good condition, no visible damage (dents, anything blocking the cooling fins)

Let us know your results!
2017-3-25
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

If you purchased threw Amazon, they will pay return postage ,start a return item in your amazon account
2017-3-26
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Alefdr0 Posted at 2017-3-25 12:44
OK. Monitor what exactly? How would I know if something "Uncool" was about to go down?

You could try to charge it outside where it can't set fire to anything, then there is nothing to worry about.  (Make sure it wont get wet though!)

These batteries do have a mode where they go into hibernation if not used for a long time and then the buttons don't work until after recharging.

I have a metal charging table to put them on so that I don't need to watch them continuously while recharging.
2017-3-26
Use props
fansda4b3689
Flight distance : 27497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Press the button twice and hold down until the battery light comes on while it's plugged in to the charger and outlet.  (It should ony take about 10 sec) if light fails to come on, the battery is defective or dead. I had the same problem until I figured out a way to take the battery out of "sleep. mode"
2017-3-26
Use props
Alefdr0
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

fansda4b3689 Posted at 2017-3-26 00:43
Press the button twice and hold down until the battery light comes on while it's plugged in to the charger and outlet.  (It should ony take about 10 sec) if light fails to come on, the battery is defective or dead. I had the same problem until I figured out a way to take the battery out of "sleep. mode"

Battery is definitely dead. I tried what you said and I tried what others suggested about plugging it in for ac couple of hours.

: (

Not cool but thanks to everybody for the help.

Cheers
2017-3-27
Use props
roger77
New
Norway

fansda4b3689 Posted at 2017-3-26 00:43

how did you get it out of `sleep`mode?
2017-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules