Surfing in kauai
982 11 2017-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheWindowSeat
lvl.1

United States

Since this is my first post heres a quick intro as well.

My name is Dennis,
I Decided to join the forum to get ideas and insperation from other users. Since these videos are edited and captured by me I was also hoping to get any feedback On color, Editing or anything else. Me and my wife love traveling and I will be sharing most of my drone videos here.

the one below is a video taken with my "phantom 3 std". This video was taken at Secrets beach in Kauai.
The island Has so much beauty to capture!

Hope you guys enjoy it

2017-3-25
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Ah man That bit at the start when you flick through the scenes with beat & then reverse & re play the wave was off the scale!
Not so sure about the bit where it blacks out of a sec though but will be looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.
What editing program did you use & were you pulling the media off an external hard drive of straight from the main computer?
Superb Denis
2017-3-25
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

My last post which was a surf edit is the video next to yours now in which you can see me trying to do what you were doing with the beats, just not quite so well
2017-3-25
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Dennis,

Here are some screen captures of earlier threads that deal with smooth videography and videography in general.  Hopefully, they can be of some use to you.

Aloha and Drone On!
Improve Video.jpg
Improve Video2.jpg
SmoothPANs.png
2017-3-25
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Dennis,

For the best color correction, and by far the best - and free - program you can use is DaVinci Resolve 12.5.  This is the most professional program you will come across in the gratis department.  And since it comes with a 1000 page manual, you know that it is an amazing program.  But, if you know how to use .pdf documents, you will find that the manual is very useful.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-26
Use props
TheWindowSeat
lvl.1

United States

ImProVisionAeri Posted at 2017-3-25 22:26
Ah man That bit at the start when you flick through the scenes with beat & then reverse & re play the wave was off the scale!
Not so sure about the bit where it blacks out of a sec though but will be looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.
What editing program did you use & were you pulling the media off an external hard drive of straight from the main computer?

Thanks Man I appreciate it!.
I see what your saying with the black part..... In my head it was a attempt to leave suspense but i can see how it doesn't translate.

Its always funny how in your mind it looks and feels one way. Then it takes someone else's perspective to tell you how it really looks. lol Thanks so much for that.
I might scroll through my footage again and see what i can fill that part with. I appreciate you looking at it with a critical eye.

As for program used:
Im using Divinci Resolve to do the color & editing. Im a retouching manager over here in NY so to be honest I should probably be using Adobe Premiere. Just because the language is so similar to photoshop. But I really want to transition to color grading video (Since i do it for images) . So for that I've been leaning on Divinci Resolve.

All the videos are straight from my computer's desktop. I tried to Run Divinci using a external drive as the source for media.  But since Im using a laptop it just didn't have the power to read back and forth.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment. On my way to check out your video out ;)

- Dennis
2017-3-26
Use props
TheWindowSeat
lvl.1

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-26 00:02
Aloha Dennis,

For the best color correction, and by far the best - and free - program you can use is DaVinci Resolve 12.5.  This is the most professional program you will come across in the gratis department.  And since it comes with a 1000 page manual, you know that it is an amazing program.  But, if you know how to use .pdf documents, you will find that the manual is very useful.

thanks the for screen grabs and recommendations. I'm currently am using Davinci but have been flopping back and forth with "should I or shouldn't I" use adobe premiere just because my professional career is so  photoshop heavy.

But also Im hoping to share with the community some color grading techniques from my years of PS knowledge. I haven't searched the forum much yet but I hope to maybe make a Before/after thread were we can Geek out about color techniques.

I'd love to share some still shots before and after grading and hear thoughts.

- Dennis
2017-3-26
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

TheWindowSeat Posted at 2017-3-26 04:29
Thanks Man I appreciate it!.
I see what your saying with the black part..... In my head it was a attempt to leave suspense but i can see how it doesn't translate.

TheWindowSeat:

In place of the blackout, try a cold freeze frame with half fade, or freeze then spiral or distorted zoom, for dramatic effect.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-3-26
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277585 ft

How about I just send my rushes to you for editing.
2017-3-26
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TheWindowSeat Posted at 2017-3-26 06:30
thanks the for screen grabs and recommendations. I'm currently am using Davinci but have been flopping back and forth with "should I or shouldn't I" use adobe premiere just because my professional career is so  photoshop heavy.

But also Im hoping to share with the community some color grading techniques from my years of PS knowledge. I haven't searched the forum much yet but I hope to maybe make a Before/after thread were we can Geek out about color techniques.

Aloha Dennis,

There is a Russian fellow who does really good work and posts his how-to techniques.  Vadim is his name.  Look him up.  I did some editing for his English.  Maybe you can pick up where he left off?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-27
Use props
TheWindowSeat
lvl.1

United States

Dav 0 Posted at 2017-3-26 13:08
How about I just send my rushes to you for editing.

lol.... I wouldn't mind doing some type of collab project. You have some really nice shots as well.
2017-3-27
Use props
TheWindowSeat
lvl.1

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-27 04:12
Aloha Dennis,

There is a Russian fellow who does really good work and posts his how-to techniques.  Vadim is his name.  Look him up.  I did some editing for his English.  Maybe you can pick up where he left off?

that sounds awesome! thanks! ill give him a look. I already have a few before & afters that im going to post once i get home tonight. hopefully it gives me a idea if people are interested.

- Dennis
2017-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules