Mavic Controler charging phone and draining battery.
4803 9 2017-3-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

So i have the phantom 3 but a buddy of mine just bought the Mavic.  His issue is that his controler is charging his Samsung S7 and killing the controller battery to quickly.  Is there any way to disable charging to the phone?  Last flight he had about 20% controler battery left.  This can't be normal.  Any help would be appreciated.

2017-3-25
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

I have an S7Edge and its fine, i have heard people complain about this before though, but usually its with iPhones... I flew today, only 1 battery but the controller had 84% left at the end of a 21 minute flight. I havnt yet upgraded to Nougat but i have Fast charge enabled and i'm using pretty much normal settings.

Did your mate fly 1 battery and end up with 20% controller battery remaining?
2017-3-25
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
Mexico

I have an S7 (marshmallow) and as far as I know you can't disable charging.  The best you can do is turn off the fast charge, but it's not clear how much that helps.  If you look at the battery graph after a flight you can tell it's not charging full on anyway. The only other solution is to use a cable to the USB port on the underside of the controller.  That will not charge the phone and doesn't look all that bad.  I have a coiled cable I usually use in my car, and that works fine.  Somehow the coiled cable looks more like it "belongs" in the setup anyway.

Ether way, I can fly through 4 batteries.  I feel like without the charging on, my phone doesn't get as warm, so maybe that matters.  It's hard to believe that the controller could loose 80% of a charge in only 30 minutes even if it was charging the phone as much as possible.  Maybe it's a dud?
2017-3-26
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-3-25 17:43
I have an S7Edge and its fine, i have heard people complain about this before though, but usually its with iPhones... I flew today, only 1 battery but the controller had 84% left at the end of a 21 minute flight. I havnt yet upgraded to Nougat but i have Fast charge enabled and i'm using pretty much normal settings.

Did your mate fly 1 battery and end up with 20% controller battery remaining?

"Did your mate fly 1 battery and end up with 20% controller battery remaining?"

Yes
2017-3-26
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
United States

Thanks guys.  This Mavic is awesome.  I hope some day to own one too.
2017-3-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Philly Phantom Posted at 2017-3-26 06:02
"Did your mate fly 1 battery and end up with 20% controller battery remaining?"

Yes

The controller probably has a faulty battery.
Please try to full charge the controller then test again.
2017-3-27
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-27 01:13
The controller probably has a faulty battery.
Please try to full charge the controller then test again.

Thanks, Will do.
2017-3-27
Use props
Sidonsoft
lvl.1
Flight distance : 514039 ft
Australia

The controller is not only powering itself, it is powering your device while it runs everything (screen, DJI Go app, GPS, wifi, mobile date and all the other things running on your phone)  AND trying to or charging your phones battery if it is below 100%.  Even if it was on 100% the controller would still be trickle charging.

I get about an hour from the DJI remote if I have an android device plugged into the bottom USB.  I get 5 hours out of my DJI remote if I use an iPhone 7 plus plugged into the side port.
2017-3-27
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Using the bottom port still charges my Phone its an S7 on the latest firmware . I use a car jumpstart pack that has USB Charging port on it I plug the controler in for a top up.  I can fly all day with this and 4 batteries
2017-3-27
Use props
WhitDawg
New
United States

I have a galaxy S7 and when I plug in the Mavic Pro controller (I only use the controller/usb to galaxy cable) my phone displays a message "charging, X hours X minutes until fully charged". This is the only setup I have used but the remote battery does seem to drain quicker than I would expect. Again, just an opinion with limited experience. Thanks for any input.
2018-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules