DJI Inspire 2 high wind test
13807 25 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Morning all, As some of you may know, Ive recently got my hands on the flagship drone of drones, the Dji Inspire 2.
Whilst I'm happy with my Phantom 4 Pro I have been struggling with capturing certain shots which either involve fast sideways flying or high winds due to the gimbal tilting & props & legs being in the shots!
Having wanted this new drone for over a year now, I had hoped it would be the answer to my problems.
This clip was shot in conditions of force 7 / 32-38mph / 50-61 kph / 28-33 knots also noted as moderate or near gale!
The results I'm my opinion are outstanding!
40 seconds in you can see the Inspire on full stick right into the wind, come to a stop.
At 47 seconds you see a glitch which is me switching into sport mode at which point someone might as well have turned the wind off!
Note the flags pointing up! Any wind sport enthusiast will know that means its seriously Pumping! The kiters are out on 6 & 7m kites!
Look at how steady it holds on the golf scene & look at the grass & guys trousers simply pinned by the wind!
The last shot of the Jersey flag is without my hands on the controls & demonstrates the precision hold by means of the drone locking into position via the satellites again despite the flagpole bending in the extreme conditions!
Given that the drone is new, some of you may notice that the exposure is a bit too high on the X5S camera but the test today was about how the Inspire 2 performs in strong winds!
The video speaks for itself!
Until next time, ciao for now
Jacko

2017-3-26
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I recognise that castle!
Looking at them flags, yes deffo a bit windy! I see god is still trying to blow them Crapauex's away.

Donkey Mark.
2017-3-26
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Awesome demo! Glad there are test pilots like you around.  The I2 may have its top speed crimped in the latest firmware but it sure has awesome reserves to fight wind with. Do be careful though - if for whatever reason you fall out of GPS mode, the bird will enter ATTI and while you can fight the wind if you have knowledge of its relative and absolute position, should video feed also get lost (such as if you are rounding the castle and the craft happens to be obstructed, its a flyaway or crash .

I know these things have dual IMUs but I had a IMU fault in my P4P (evident shortly after takeoff so I did have the option of bringing it back but as it was easy flying conditions and clear, I decided to experiment) and the bird got caught up  even in light wind.  The problem went away after I re-calibrated the IMU but it was a warning.

2017-3-26
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

What Mike says and if you're flying in a South Easterly, before you know it, your bird will be over Guernsey.  Once in Donkey territory it belongs to us!

Donkey Mark.
2017-3-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nice work impressed. Good job
2017-3-28
Use props
JBSonic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779019 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very good to see it fly in such conditions, I am 90% trusting the Inspire 2, we need the V2 mounts to remove vibration issues from the airframe.
The few crashes so far, some of them have been caused by excessive vibration, I believe this is due to some of the mounts not functioning as they should.
I believe DJI is working on V2 mounts, I hope they are released soon.

I am afraid of flying strong  wind scenarios knowing that there is an existing fault with the current mount system (if you have pro rattle like many others, this could lead to a crash potentially)
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Nice to see you're enjoying the unit, thanks for sharing.
2017-3-28
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

strong off shore winds indeed, the Inspire did a great job
2017-3-29
Use props
Viper Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

EXCELLENT!
2017-3-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice work and that was very windy conditions for sure! Where were you standing to keep your Inspire in view?  

I am glad that everything worked correctly and the GPS held you in place. Like MTC said, if you lose the GPS lock it would be very hard to keep up with the wind in ATTI mode.

thanks for sharing
Rich
2017-3-31
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Morning chaps,
Thank you for you comments including you Mark
Not sure what you mean about the mount issue as all seems fine to me but I guess i'll see.
Thank you re the heads up about loosing GPS although again, I've not experienced this. Perhaps one of the bonuses of living on a little rock
That said The I2 was in sight the whole time even when it went around the back of the castle as you will notice it rises up at the end in order for me to maintain sight & a direct line between it & the control.
I was standing on the slipway on the beach with a mate who was my second pair of eyes.
My confidence & skill (or stupidity) comes from flying RC helicopters of which I enjoyed most in silly winds! Some of you will know that there is no support with them as far as GPS etc so ATTI mode isn't a problem for me.
Happy flying

Jacko
2017-4-1
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Very impressive, I especially like the way the flags are flying in what looks like opposite directions at one point.  Very cool demo.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans8af3c520
New
Flight distance : 91578 ft
Australia

Very Impressive.
love to get to that level both skills and equipment. well done
2017-4-7
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

What a beautiful location to be able to fly.  Thanks for your video.
2017-4-8
Use props
FeariTself
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

Now let's see a video with mavic pro, same conditions
2017-4-9
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

First off, awesome video, second, I would have to agree with Mike-the-cat that you have bigger....then I and were willing to take that risk in the wind.  Now that I know how the I2 can handle wind...All the more reason I'm carefully taking my wife into letting me get one...I call it "an investment".  Hoping this sticks and will be getting one soon.  Thanks for sharing.
2017-4-10
Use props
fans98fe40d4
New
United States

Simply amazing! Nce work
2017-4-13
Use props
Deanopeps
lvl.3
Flight distance : 233474 ft
United Kingdom

Fantastic video and i think for me this was the decider that pushed me over the edge and i got the Inspire 2 as i want to shoot in fairly high winds at Sea. I did some filming yesterday in about 20Kts and was getting lots of warnings about the wind. Did you get these as you were out in a lot stronger wind? Does anyone know when the warnings kick in and how real the warnings are? I cant find the wind max strength recommended and i really would like to understand as i am sure my insurance would have a view if i lost it? Thanks
2017-4-13
Use props
fans0cd14536
New

United States

Nice work! I just recently got my I2 call sign "maverick" and I love this bird. I've flight about 10 times and the way it responds in high winds is just jaw dropping, I flew with typhoon q500 and flying maverick is just a huge difference. To me is like driving a Honda and upgrade to a Ferrari. I can't wait all the places I will be flying maverick and specially my upcoming vacation to Hawaii
2017-4-14
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Thanks again everyone and Im really happy to finally get something onto the front page!
As for the wind warnings Dean, I personally ignore them & find them to be an absolute nuisance! Im not suggesting you do the same as Im no expert & I'm not sure what an insurance company or DJI claim judge would say in the event of an accident.
As Ive said before though, the video clearly shows what its capable of & this wasn't any fancy editing effects!
If your thinking of buying one... Stop thinking about it, sweet talk the wife & get on to it
2017-4-21
Use props
Hockeynutz
New
United States

I was awestruck by the boats sitting in sand waiting for high tide....   
2017-4-25
Use props
fansa55831ef
New

Russia

Hola, alguien me ayufs con un fallo con mi phantom 3 advanced.?????
2017-5-13
Use props
fansa55831ef
New

Russia

Hola, alguien me puede ayudar con un fallo con mi phantom 3 advanced.....?
2017-5-13
Use props
fansa55831ef
New

Russia

Hello.., somebody on line...?
2017-5-13
Use props
ImProVisionAeri
lvl.2
  • >>>
Jersey

Hi Fansa,

Im sorry but I've only just see this as although I leave this page open on my computer which probably shows I'm online, I'm often not.

Feel free to message me on Facebook messenger or something as that at least beeps on my phone.  

You can find me at improvision Jackson Lowe

2017-5-13
Use props
droneenthusiast
lvl.2
Flight distance : 434908 ft
Denmark

so imprest, nice video keep it up!
2017-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now