About that 4 GB movie limit.
1219 9 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

With the Inspire 2 and X5s, can it store more than the FAT or exFAT limit of 4GB before it restarts the video if written to the microSD card?

If not, can the frames that are normally dropped when it resumes movie shooting with the microSD be avoided if written to the SSD card instead?

Tired of dropped frames with the P4 in long movies and trying to figure out when it will restart a new movie file in flight to avoid it.

2017-3-26
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Most pilots shoot short sequences and put stuff together. I don't think there are dropped frames if you stitch the files together perfectly but lets hear what others have to say.
Also, ProRes files are usually broken up into segments and more frequently if you use 444 XQ. The pros don't complain, so why do you think this is so?
2017-3-26
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-3-26 16:04
Most pilots shoot short sequences and put stuff together. I don't think there are dropped frames if you stitch the files together perfectly but lets hear what others have to say.
Also, ProRes files are usually broken up into segments and more frequently if you use 444 XQ. The pros don't complain, so why do you think this is so?

Thanks, but I get dropped frames on stitching 4GB files together.  Very annoying for mapping.

Question should be, "Do movies shot directly onto the 480GB CineSSD card break into smaller files, or are they one huge file with no gaps?"

I'm thinking the paid licensed files do not break up into the smaller FAT/exFAT sections but cannot find info about it as no one seems to have the 480GB to ask.  There is some issue with the smaller 120GB SSD though from my web perusing.  The 240GB SSD is too rare at present to ask about.

2017-3-27
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

I've had not issues stitching two files together on the Inspire 2. No frames were lost at all.

As far as the SSD goes, it still has the same file size requirements as the SD Card does, and therefore will not allow files larger then 4GB in size.
2017-3-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-3-27 07:37
I've had not issues stitching two files together on the Inspire 2. No frames were lost at all.

As far as the SSD goes, it still has the same file size requirements as the SD Card does, and therefore will not allow files larger then 4GB in size.

Thank you for that info.  Good to hear the I2 doesn't drop frames on stitching.

Don't know why the P4 does it, but some said it didn't do that in older versions.  Now it drops maybe 5 frames between 4GB files.  Tried some software that supposedly adds enough faux missing frames, but it doesn't work either.  The two-file Jerkiness is bad in mapping and looks like some of the Google Earth Street View ones where the frame offset doesn't line up.

2017-3-27
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

The P4 P as well as the I 2 are "cured" from the "missing frames" between the 4Gb files... no more issues there!
2017-3-27
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-27 07:27
Thanks, but I get dropped frames on stitching 4GB files together.  Very annoying for mapping.

Question should be, "Do movies shot directly onto the 480GB CineSSD card break into smaller files, or are they one huge file with no gaps?"

The 4GB limit exists with the SSD as well. I have no problem stitching the files together (have used 422HQ). Was lucky to get a 480GB SSD before stock ran out.
2017-3-27
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-3-27 08:32
The 4GB limit exists with the SSD as well. I have no problem stitching the files together (have used 422HQ). Was lucky to get a 480GB SSD before stock ran out.
"Was lucky to get a 480GB SSD before stock ran out"

I see these will be on offer @ 50% discount as from 1 April....
2017-3-27
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-3-27 09:06
"Was lucky to get a 480GB SSD before stock ran out"

I see these will be on offer @ 50% discount as from 1 April....

Where do you see that ?

2017-3-29
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
lvl.4
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I had the dropped frames issue with my P4. I believe it was still there with my P4P but I have only gone over 4GB in one segment once and haven't tried since the original firmware. My Inspire 2 definitely does NOT have this issue on the SSD. Shooting in 4444 XQ I get multiple 16-second video files and when dropped into FCPX they are as seamless as 1 continuous file. I have not gone over the 4GB limit on the microSD card on the I2.
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules