Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Follow Me mode not working
3918 8 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans242859ce
New
Canada

Hello !
I have some troubles with the follow me mode. I bought an iPad Air2 WIFI to be able to use the DJI Go 4 app, then realized the GPS signal was "weak" and read it was due to the tablet that has no GPS.
Then I changed it for the iPad Air2 Cellular tablet which has the GPS cell inside. It doesn't work any better. And finally inserted by mobile SIM card inside to get 3G signal, and got the exact same result.

- I have 17 satelites on the Mavic
- The map shows my location without any problem
- The iPad location service is on and the app has the right to use it.

(see attached screenshot)
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you !!

IMG_0694.PNG
2017-3-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Fwiw there's another thread on this subject at http://forum.dji.com/thread-89659-1-1.html

A few things I've gleaned from the forums and my own experience:

The GPS accuracy needed for maps is purportedly far less than what is needed for Follow Me to work, but at least you know you are getting some GPS signal.

The GPS satellite count is useful, but the number of good satellite signals is likely more important. Unfortunately, DJI Go 4 won't tell you that, but you can see it in your logs if you upload them to a service like https://app.airdata.com/main?a=upload

I've had mixed success with this mode and much better luck with Active Track. The only real suggestion I have for you is to try the Follow Me feature with the Mavic is at a higher altitude than 6m, I finally got it to work with my iPhone 7 at 14m and above after the app complaining about weak GPS at launch, and someone noted that Follow Me requires more altitude than Active Track. Maybe it's as simple as Go 4 giving us a "weak GPS" error message when the app should really be giving us an "insufficient altitude" message?

Good luck in sorting it.

2017-3-26
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.3
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

Problem is follow me mode requires your device to have a GPS location. iPad air wifi does not have a built in GPS signal, follow me mode would not work with your device
2017-3-26
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-26 16:59
Problem is follow me mode requires your device to have a GPS location. iPad air wifi does not have a built in GPS signal, follow me mode would not work with your device

OP figured that out and replaced it with the Cellular version.
2017-3-26
Use props
fans242859ce
New
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-26 16:46
Fwiw there's another thread on this subject at http://forum.dji.com/thread-89659-1-1.html

A few things I've gleaned from the forums and my own experience:

Thank you so much for you detailed reply ! I will try that tomorrow and post my result here ;)
2017-3-26
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-26 16:59

What are you talking about! He said he went and bought the cell version. Fix the software! Bump.
2017-3-30
Use props
CanonMax
Captain
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-3-30 01:01
What are you talking about! He said he went and bought the cell version. Fix the software! Bump.

I hope you do not get mixed up with ACTIVE TRACK..........
FOLLOW ME: the GPS of the Tablet or Phone is used
ACTIVE TRACK: the CAMERA and GPS of the DRONE is used...

If I am right...
2018-3-26
Use props
Malakai_UK
Captain
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a similar issue. Posted here about it. For some reason my iPhone 6+ never worked with follow mode, nor could I set the phone as the home point. Kept getting weak signal error. Then just the other day it started working. I had to have my phone outside with clear line of sight to the sky for a few minutes to get a good location lock and it all worked as it should.
2018-3-26
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

From all I have seen and read on the forum. "Follow Me Mode" is something that works for you or it doesn't.
I tried it once, got the message mobile GPS signal weak. Had 17 satellites.
This is an answer I found for the reason. From someone else on the forum.
"I believe the 'GPS Weak' warning referred to your mobile device, and not the Mavic. If I understand it properly, Follow Me mode tracks the GPS coordinates of your phone (or whatever mobile device you use)."  
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules