1456 29 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
phillipmahoney
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37205 ft
Australia

Hi team,

After some help on this one. I was flying my Mavic pro and went into a black spot (around the side of a mountain) about 200 meters from my position. It immediatly lost signal and wouldn't return to home. I ran up and around the mountain the re-establish connection (about 5 minutes) and when I reconnected the Mavic had already fallen to the ground and was upsidown on a rock.

Is it meant to just drop out of the sky? I would have assumed it should have hovered in position until signal re-connected or it ran out of battery, or returned to home?

in the end I couldn't find it via the gps on the map, so guess I'll have to save up for a new one...

Any advice on how to avoid this situation would be awesome.

Thanks!
2017-3-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about your crash.
I'd suggest you to sycn your flight records from DJI GO app the send an email to support@dji.com. They will guide you to send it in for further diagnosis and repair.
Our engineers will help to analyse the flight data and let you know what could have caused the issue.
2017-3-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Normally with RC control you would expect the Remote Controller Signal Loss feature to either RTH or Hover in place, depending on what you set it to.

Clues to what happened can be found in your logs -- upload them to https://app.airdata.com/main?a=upload and post the link so we can take a look and help you figure out what happened.

2017-3-26
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Well it could be one of a few things. When it was out of sight, it hit something and fell to the ground. Or you inadvertently used the CSC command and it hit the ground. Or the CSC command was set to emergency only and the Mavic logic figured something major had happened and instigated the CSC command and it hit the ground.
2017-3-26
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Yo were not in control during the crash, and it fell when being after a mountain. My guess is that it indeed started the RTH and it crashed with something. Maybe your RTH altitude was not properly set, or the FVS didn't notice some obstacle and just crashed into it. If you didn't know if it should have stayed in position or RTH... something tells me that you have never verified the RTH settings or altitude.

You can download your flight logs and upload them into https://app.airdata.com/main?a=upload Paste the link here and we'll take a look at the logs to try to determine what happened.

I hope your bird is fine.
2017-3-26
Use props
shades
New
Flight distance : 49560 ft
Thailand

I experinced the same issues last night, i pulled the mavic down and it goes into automatic landing. I am new to the forum and dont know how to start a new post, im apparently not allowed to. Please help
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Did you loose gps, if you just lost Radio it should start RTH it just depends on what setting you had for RTH , there are ways of getting your coordinates from your app , how did you know it was upside down on the rocks?
Your best bet to get some info on what happened, is to post your logs here, and as Mindy says sync your flights.
Crashes are always tough loosing your AC make them worse so hopefully you might get some help to find it.
Good luck..
2017-3-27
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
Flight distance : 839055 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-27 01:35
Did you loose gps, if you just lost Radio it should start RTH it just depends on what setting you had for RTH , there are ways of getting your coordinates from your app , how did you know it was upside down on the rocks?
Your best bet to get some info on what happened, is to post your logs here, and as Mindy says sync your flights.
Crashes are always tough loosing your AC make them worse so hopefully you might get some help to find it.

it should not be an issue - in fact when I was bored to fly the model (Phantom2/Inspire) back from the point it was recording I just switched off the remote to have it return to home and it should without any issues ...

what I have read recently on the forum though, there seems to be an issue with the obstacle avoidance if the Mavic needs to climb quickly, especially seen when the Mavic needs to avoid an obstacle while flying uphill - this seems to be an issue ... another option could be that the Mavic tried to land itself but due to landing uphill flipped over ...

but again, this should not happen in the first place
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

r4nd0m Posted at 2017-3-27 03:51
it should not be an issue - in fact when I was bored to fly the model (Phantom2/Inspire) back from the point it was recording I just switched off the remote to have it return to home and it should without any issues ...

what I have read recently on the forum though, there seems to be an issue with the obstacle avoidance if the Mavic needs to climb quickly, especially seen when the Mavic needs to avoid an obstacle while flying uphill - this seems to be an issue ... another option could be that the Mavic tried to land itself but due to landing uphill flipped over ...

when I was bored to fly the model (Phantom2/Inspire) back from the point it was recording I just switched off the remote to have it return to home

Just so I'm sure I understood you correctly: you turned off your aircraft's remote because you didn't want to be bothered with flying it back yourself?
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Is it meant to just drop out of the sky? I would have assumed it should have hovered in position until signal re-connected or it ran out of battery, or returned to home?

You "assumed" it would hover in place or return to home? So apparently you didn't read the manual before flying, correct? Because it spells out pretty clearly what will happen.

Any advice on how to avoid this situation would be awesome.

That's pretty easy in this case:

• Read the manual, particularly the parts about RTH and most especially failsafe RTH.
  • Don't fly beyond line of sight (e.g., behind a mountain).

2017-3-27
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-27 04:00
when I was bored to fly the model (Phantom2/Inspire) back from the point it was recording I just switched off the remote to have it return to home

Just so I'm sure I understood you correctly: you turned off your aircraft's remote because you didn't want to be bothered with flying it back yourself?

exactly that - using technology to assist and never had an issue ...
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

r4nd0m Posted at 2017-3-27 04:17
exactly that - using technology to assist and never had an issue ...

That's what I thought. Then let's just say that you have a lot more faith in technology than I do -- and I have a fair amount of it.
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

r4nd0m Posted at 2017-3-27 03:51

It's not 100% sure op lost radio control or gps, as he hasn't made it clear, if he lost gps then we know what will happen , if he lost RC then it just depends on what he had set RTH to.

Regarding using RTH for fun and because your bored, that's your call, but don't think what is was designed for.
2017-3-27
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-27 04:47
It's not 100% sure op lost radio control or gps, as he hasn't made it clear, if he lost gps then we know what will happen , if he lost RC then it just depends on what he had set RTH to.

Regarding using RTH for fun and because your bored, that's your call, but don't think what is was designed for.

its designed for return to home if loss of connection to remote - it either works or doesnt - very binary - it should not matter if initiated manually, fault or else - its supposed to work ...
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

r4nd0m Posted at 2017-3-27 04:54
its designed for return to home if loss of connection to remote - it either works or doesnt - very binary - it should not matter if initiated manually, fault or else - its supposed to work ...

It isn't that simple: you also specify the maximum height to which it should ascend during its return home, and the OP indicated that he had flown behind a mountain. "Return To Home" is a request but not a guarantee.
2017-3-27
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-27 04:58
It isn't that simple: you also specify the maximum height to which it should ascend during its return home, and the OP indicated that he had flown behind a mountain. "Return To Home" is a request but not a guarantee.

I am talking about the ability of the device based on preset parameters as well as previously stored details like gps/signal to return to the last specified home point ...

when I assign a function to a gyro to set certain values on a certain occurrence it should just execute it - thats my understanding, if it doesnt there is either a hardware or software fault ... otherwise you could say that any stick input transferred by your remote may be executed or not which is simply speaking the same thing ... same as any other RC throttle cut/fail safe function as an example ...
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

r4nd0m Posted at 2017-3-27 05:06
I am talking about the ability of the device based on preset parameters as well as previously stored details like gps/signal to return to the last specified home point ...

when I assign a function to a gyro to set certain values on a certain occurrence it should just execute it - thats my understanding, if it doesnt there is either a hardware or software fault ... otherwise you could say that any stick input transferred by your remote may be executed or not which is simply speaking the same thing ...

You seem to have assumed that the "preset parameters" in this case would allow the Mavic to ascend high enough to return home successfully and / or that Obstacle Avoidance was enabled for the duration of the trip. Those two assumptions may or may not both be correct.
2017-3-27
Use props
r4nd0m
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-27 05:08
You seem to have assumed that the "preset parameters" in this case would allow the Mavic to ascend high enough to return home successfully and / or that Obstacle Avoidance was enabled for the duration of the trip. Those two assumptions may or may not both be correct.

what you probably have missed, I am not the OP - I just said that I use RTH sometimes shutting down my RC ... not related to the issue
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

r4nd0m Posted at 2017-3-27 05:09
what you probably have missed, I am not the OP - I just said that I use RTH sometimes shutting down my RC ... not related to the issue

I didn't confuse you with the OP and don't really see what I've said to make you think I did. I simply replied to points you made in your own posts.
2017-3-27
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

As others have said also without seeing the flight data no one knows for sure. I believe that it tried to RTH and crashed into something making it fall to the ground upside down. Either way if that has happened or something else to know they need to see the flight data.
2017-3-27
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Same happened to me a month ago: it lost all connection with the controller (video feed an controls) in an opened area without interference, 300m from me

I expected the mavic to trigger RTH but it didn't, it crashed instead.
2017-3-27
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

Samoth Posted at 2017-3-27 06:21
Same happened to me a month ago: it lost all connection with the controller (video feed an controls) in an opened area without interference, 300m from me

I expected the mavic to trigger RTH but it didn't, it crashed instead.

Define crashed.
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

r4nd0m Posted at 2017-3-27 04:54

You seem to be running away with yourself, yes your correct if you have set RTH to return to where you took off and all your parameters are set correctly for you that's what should happen.
But your missing one important point, this isn't about your AC , it's about OP's AC, so let's be patient here and wait for information from him, before making assumptions.
2017-3-27
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please upload video from SD card so we can determine. It might of hit something then crashed.
2017-3-27
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91545 ft
United States

I had the same situation yesterday out in the desert.  I was flying about 1/2mi away looking at a old mine on the mountain side when my controller lost all connection stating for me to get closer.  I was recording while all this happened.  It looks like it decided to return home but decided to fly full speed into the side of the mountain with no avoidance.  45min hike later I was able to retrieve it.  Smashed camera gimbal and having compass issues.  Super disappointed......opening a claim hopefully this doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. Really sucks.
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-27 08:39
I had the same situation yesterday out in the desert.  I was flying about 1/2mi away looking at a old mine on the mountain side when my controller lost all connection stating for me to get closer.  I was recording while all this happened.  It looks like it decided to return home but decided to fly full speed into the side of the mountain with no avoidance.  45min hike later I was able to retrieve it.  Smashed camera gimbal and having compass issues.  Super disappointed......opening a claim hopefully this doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. Really sucks.

Just start a new thread and upload your logs you might get some help what might have gone wrong.

Sorry to hear about crash..
2017-3-27
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91545 ft
United States

Will do...keeps saying I don't have authority to start a new post? Sorry new user and not sure why it's not allowing me.
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-27 09:25
Will do...keeps saying I don't have authority to start a new post? Sorry new user and not sure why it's not allowing me.

Ok think you need to reach 20 points, that should be soon..
2017-3-27
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Chaser720 Posted at 2017-3-27 06:59
Define crashed.

I found it on the ground, on its back, propellers broken
2017-3-27
Use props
phillipmahoney
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37205 ft
Australia

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-27 08:39

I think it must have done the same for me, crashed trying to RTH
2017-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules