Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can we replace the lens?
3345 10 2017-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Is it possible to replace the lens on the mavic? What happens if the lens gets a scratch - would I need to send the whole thing in for repair?

I'm thinking about buying some nd-filters and using them as a shield in case of that scenario ...
2017-3-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

It's not recommended to replace that part by yourself.
If there's anything wrong with the lens, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Is it possible to replace the lens on the mavic? What happens if the lens gets a scratch - would I need to send the whole thing in for repair? I'm thinking about buying some nd-filters and using them as a shield in case of that scenario ...

Polar Pro, Taco RC, and probably others offer UV filters if you just want scratch protection. I don't know that I'd bother, though, at least not if you're worried about scratches resulting from a crash. The Mavic's gimbal seems to have a very low crash survival rate, so it doesn't seem very likely that you'll ever wind up with a camera that has a scratched lens but that is otherwise functional. As you've probably noticed from various threads on the topic, many of us use ND filters to some extent, but I never use the UV filter that came with my Taco set.
2017-3-27
Use props
Nikon 1
Second Officer
United States

The first purchases I made was a UV filter for my bird.  Goes back to my early lessons as a photographer - "Buy an expensive lens for my camera - a cheap UV filter was the best investments." It keeps fingerprints off the first element of the lens and is much cheaper to replace if it gets scratched or damaged.
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-3-27 03:20
One of my first purchases I made was a UV filter for my bird.  Goes back to my early lessons as a photographer - "Buy an expensive lens for my camera - a cheap UV filter was the best investments." It keeps fingerprints off the first element of the lens and is much cheaper to replace if it gets scratched or damaged.

I have UV filters for my pricey Canon lenses too. The big difference is that an SLR camera by nature gets handled a lot when in use and generally spends a lot of time in places where a lens could get scratched without being destroyed; not so with my Mavic. Besides, if you're a photographer I would think that you'd be concerned with the quality of the video you capture and would be using ND filters instead of UV.
2017-3-27
Use props
Flyboyz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142615 ft
Singapore

Good to get some ND filter if you wanna have a more beautiful shots.
2017-3-27
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-27 02:52
It's not recommended to replace that part by yourself.
If there's anything wrong with the lens, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.

Mindy - Thanks for the advice. Currently everything works great; however I keep reading complaints about turn-around time when it comes to processing the mavic (the benefits of having a popular product :-)).

Are there any authorized shops that can do replacements - or does everything need to go through your processing queue?
2017-3-27
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-27 03:11
Is it possible to replace the lens on the mavic? What happens if the lens gets a scratch - would I need to send the whole thing in for repair? I'm thinking about buying some nd-filters and using them as a shield in case of that scenario ...

Polar Pro, Taco RC, and probably others offer UV filters if you just want scratch protection. I don't know that I'd bother, though, at least not if you're worried about scratches resulting from a crash. The Mavic's gimbal seems to have a very low crash survival rate, so it doesn't seem very likely that you'll ever wind up with a camera that has a scratched lens but that is otherwise functional. As you've probably noticed from various threads on the topic, many of us use ND filters to some extent, but I never use the UV filter that came with my Taco set.

Thanks for the advice on the filters. I'm by far no where near a pro photograph (what's the level before amateur - or even before that?) I'd just like to protect my devices as best as I can.

Thanks for the ptr, I'll check those filters out.
2017-3-27
Use props
Nikon 1
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-27 03:23
I have UV filters for my pricey Canon lenses too. The big difference is that an SLR camera by nature gets handled a lot when in use and generally spends a lot of time in places where a lens could get scratched without being destroyed; not so with my Mavic. Besides, if you're a photographer I would think that you'd be concerned with the quality of the video you capture and would be using ND filters instead of UV.

As I said - the first thing I ordered was the UV Filter.  That was pre-receiving my Mavic.  To your point, my Nikon lenses were in my hand and it would be very unusual for the lens to be forward facing at 20 ~ 35 MPH, with who-knows-what coming at the lens.  Think bugs on your windshield when traveling in the summertime.  

It gave me time to research the availability of ND Filters and what was available.  I purchased the Taco multi coated set.
2017-3-27
Use props
molyvos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 74610 ft
Greece

I'm a photographer first and a drone owner second so apologies if I am hijacking this thread.

I disagree with "Buy an expensive lens for my camera - a cheap UV filter was the best investments."

Why would you spend a small fortune on a painstakingly designed and manufactured SLR lens and then ruin the optics with a cheap UV filter? If you want protection, use the lens cap, if you are taking pictures you don't need the 'protection' or the image degradation of the UV filter.

ND filters are useful for video and drone use, (I have ND filters). For an SLR there are other ways around that too that don't involve degrading the image, but that is a topic for a photo forum.

At the very least, buy the highest quality filters that you can afford (usually the most expensive) and use them only when there is no other solution.

Oh, and don't get me started on polarising filters, most photographers don't understand them and as a result they ruin more photographs than they enhance!
2017-3-27
Use props
Aryan12
New
Australia

My drone is DOA, purchased in Australia. Moving to Japan for a year, next week, and DJI are being useless to assist.
2017-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules