Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Distance cut out..
1046 14 2017-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyringsquirrel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

[size=14.6667px]Hi Pilot people

[size=14.6667px]I was testing out the distance and height on my new Mavic.

[size=14.6667px]Upon reaching 500m distance the controller lost signal and suggested adjusting the settings to go further. How can this be done?

[size=14.6667px]The upwards height locked out at 120m but I assume this can be unlocked too? May I ask the limit for this.

[size=14.6667px]I was flying over farm land so the distance and controller linkage was vital, I hope you fellows can help.

[size=14.6667px]Many thanks,

[size=14.6667px]Edward
2017-3-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

As a new Mavic user, you should probably spend some time to read the manual and then go through all the settings in the GO 4 app. Once you have done this, most of your questions will be answered.
2017-3-27
Use props
flyringsquirrel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,

As much of a great shout this is, I have.

When signal cut out when the drone was over a slight gradient but just out of sight (500m away), not too much land in the way. The screen warned of low signal and suggested to look at my settings.

I am just confused of how to troubleshoot this as I dont want to keep flying out of sight or long distances to try and replicate the issue.

You help is much appreciated.

Edward
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

flyringsquirrel Posted at 2017-3-27 23:42
Hi,

As much of a great shout this is, I have.

You need controller and AC to be in los to get best signal, also where are your Antennas pointing, this also makes a difference the height your flying at and although 7 k is the distance you need very optimum conditions, and yes you can change height to 500m.

But also be aware of the rules and understand the area your flying in.

Good luck..
2017-3-28
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Did you check the distance and height limits in the DJI go settings in your pre flight checks? That is where you can make any adjustments. You say the drone was not in line of sight. Was this because you couldn't see that far or did the Mavic fly to a point where an obstacle was between you and it. If the latter, then a mission flight could handle that for you as once the mission has been loaded to the drone, it will fly autonomously as that mission is loaded aboard the aircraft. However, the controller can override a mission at any time, so long as the drone can receive a signal. Litchi is one of the best mission planners but there are others, including DJI go 4.
2017-3-28
Use props
flyringsquirrel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Many thanks,

I  have the Antennas in a vertical position, in relation to the ground that is. I have read that they transmit from their sides apposed to where they are pointing?

May I ask you to please elaborate on 'los', its function and where it can be found?
2017-3-28
Use props
flyringsquirrel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-28 00:33
Did you check the distance and height limits in the DJI go settings in your pre flight checks? That is where you can make any adjustments. You say the drone was not in line of sight. Was this because you couldn't see that far or did the Mavic fly to a point where an obstacle was between you and it. If the latter, then a mission flight could handle that for you as once the mission has been loaded to the drone, it will fly autonomously as that mission is loaded aboard the aircraft. However, the controller can override a mission at any time, so long as the drone can receive a signal. Litchi is one of the best mission planners but there are others, including DJI go 4.

Many thanks for replying

This was with the basic settings.

The drone flew over the brow of a hill and was slightly out of sight due to its distance.

I am taking small steps and it would be great if anybody can give me some starter tips of how to get the most out of distance with the camera still picking up the feed etc.

Any tips would be great.. along with a little prompt of their location in the settings too please
2017-3-28
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So it didn't fly below the the brow of the hill, the hill then blocking the transmission?
2017-3-28
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
United Kingdom

LOS = line of sight.
2017-3-28
Use props
flyringsquirrel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for clarifying.

The drone was flying along a field with a slight gradient and dipped below a slight brow before loosing connection. With the Mavics crazy max distance and without it being realistic to always have the aircraft in sight it seemed a little early to be losing signal?

Are there any other settings I can look through to ensure I can get the best distance out of the aircraft?
2017-3-28
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

flyringsquirrel Posted at 2017-3-28 01:10
Thanks for clarifying.

The drone was flying along a field with a slight gradient and dipped below a slight brow before loosing connection. With the Mavics crazy max distance and without it being realistic to always have the aircraft in sight it seemed a little early to be losing signal?

With the Mavic you are operating at the 2.4GHz signal frequency. This frequency does not bend around anything, including the Earth itself. That's why hamm radio people use very low frequencies (and long wavelength) to get in touch with the other side of the world. The radio signals at 2.4GHz travel in a line and when something is between you and the drone the signal will cut off - simple as that. The only thing you can do then is increase altitude, clear the obstruction and establish the radio link. Nothing in the settings will help you, increasing power won't either. Just physics here.

Hope this helps a bit at least ;-)

Cheers!
2017-3-28
Use props
mildim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 981558 ft
Switzerland

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-3-28 01:49
With the Mavic you are operating at the 2.4GHz signal frequency. This frequency does not bend around anything, including the Earth itself. That's why hamm radio people use very low frequencies (and long wavelength) to get in touch with the other side of the world. The radio signals at 2.4GHz travel in a line and when something is between you and the drone the signal will cut off - simple as that. The only thing you can do then is increase altitude, clear the obstruction and establish the radio link. Nothing in the settings will help you, increasing power won't either. Just physics here.

Hope this helps a bit at least ;-)

Nice explanation !
2017-3-28
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It seems the hill was obstructing your transmission.
I'm not connected to my Mavic now, so the data won't be saved; as shown in the video link below. Here are the areas you need to find to set height and distance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0evvtpvhmjb0sdw/mobizen_20170328_095443.mp4?dl=0
2017-3-28
Use props
flyringsquirrel
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Many thanks for the replies guys

You are being of great help.

I can fully understand the signal not being able to pass through the ground and certain objects. However with this in mind, how are people managing to reach the top end of the distance allowed - I mean, do they not experience a undulation in ground or perhaps a block of other sorts?

So in theory, when my hill cut me out - by increasing the drones height I could have overcome this? and whilst I'm on a monologue roll.. if you were to fly over and down into a valley or through changing landscapes this would always prove to be a problem unless remaining high?

and thanks for the link Rick, I shall proceed to view
2017-3-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I can fully understand the signal not being able to pass through the ground and certain objects. However with this in mind, how are people managing to reach the top end of the distance allowed - I mean, do they not experience a undulation in ground or perhaps a block of other sorts?

There are at least a couple of ways to fly with no obstructions (buildings, hills, etc.) between you and the aircraft:

• Fly in an area that's flat and where there are no tall obstacles. This is one reason you'll see a lot of people posting about having flown over bodies of water.
  • Position yourself in an elevated location, such as on or near the highest point in the area (e.g., at the top of a hill).

Also, you can often improve reception / distance by increasing the altitude of the aircraft itself, though of course your ability to do that legally will typically be limited by the regulations / laws applicable for the location in which you're flying.

2017-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules