Does the OSMO x5 / X5R loose frames between 4gb files?
1689 19 2017-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Marbelle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14472 ft
United States

Aloha,

Its kinda common knowledge that long recording with the Osmo has a small short coming   Like most DSLR and other cameras once your video clip file gets to about 4gb it cuts the file and immediately starts another one. In the case of the Osmo we loose about 1-2 seconds of footage were as other cameras / DSLR's don't have this problem.

Question -  I was considering upgrading my Osmo to the Osmo Pro (X5) or the Osmo RAW (X5r) but I wanted to know if those cameras also loose frames when the files separate at 4gb during longer recordings.

Thanks!,
Frederick
Marbelle

2017-3-27
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Before you plan upgrading, you should read all discussions on this forum about X5 and X5R issues and features over X3. I am a X5 owner but I regret not buying the X3 instead. I use osmo as a consumer and require all feature set. Sadly X5 does not have the feature sets of Osmo and Osmo mobile. At the moment, I think that most feature rich is Osmo mobile.
2017-3-27
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-3-27 13:49
Before you plan upgrading, you should read all discussions on this forum about X5 and X5R issues and features over X3. I am a X5 owner but I regret not buying the X3 instead. I use osmo as a consumer and require all feature set. Sadly X5 does not have the feature sets of Osmo and Osmo mobile. At the moment, I think that most feature rich is Osmo mobile.

Aloha DTK,

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience, its more important then you know not just for us at Marbelle but others in this community.

We would only be using the x5 or x5r in a professional setting.  The x3 has difficulties capturing usable footage in a low light situation - such as an after sunset outdoor wedding reception dance floor lit by DJ lights.  The x5 most definitely wold be a better choice to take to the low lit dance floor over the x3   However loosing 1-2 seconds off footage when video clips reach the 4gb file size (9+ minutes) that is very problematic.  Imagine loosing 1-2 second of a speech.  Ouch!

My only hope is an x5R user tell us they are NOT experiencing this problem and I will go order one.  If it is experiencing this problem... then GH5 comes out next week (April 2017).  LOL

If we could get an x5Raw user to let us know if they are experiencing a 1-2 second loose of video on a longer then 10 minutes video clip that would be great!  Im hoping when recording 4k to the the microSD slot it gets access to the larger buffer pool of the RAW mechanism thus not experiencing a 1-2 second video loss.

Be blessed,
Frederick
Marbelle
2017-3-27
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
United States

Marbelle Posted at 2017-3-27 21:27
Aloha DTK,

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience, its more important then you know not just for us at Marbelle but others in this community.

Still need feedback from an Osmo Raw user.

I contacted a seller on eBay with an Osmo RAW I want to buy and asked him if he had any missing frames between 4gb clips and he said he has recorded for well over 9 minutes and when putting the clips in the timeline he was not missing any footage.  

So I decided I need more clarity and basically asked if he was recording to the microSD slot or the RAW slot.  He didn't reply so now I feel like I have two questions.  Does Osmo RAW not loose frames using the RAW SSD slot AND the microSD slot or?  

It could be the RAW has a larger Cache which buffers much better.  I have heard of folks missing files all together using the SSD to record RAW.. LOL.  Man, I'm talking my self into getting one.....

Thanks for any feedback,
Frederick
Marbelle
2017-3-30
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the Osmo Pro (not RAW) and was testing the car mount on the way home from work this evening, when looking at the videos there does appear to be a gap/skip between the first and second files.  I'm currently filming my iPad running the stopwatch to try and see what kind of gap there is between the two files.

I'll let you know as soon as I have finished.

Thinking about it, if the X5R is recording the individual frames of the video as .DNG files then it shouldn't have this problem as each file is less than 4Gb.  Unless it is recording them in some kind of container in which case the 4Gb limit would still apply.

Can't DJI do away with this whole problem by allowing the Osmo cameras to support exFAT?
2017-4-2
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So, the results of my "experiment" are that the Osmo Pro (and therefore the X5 camera) skips approximately 0.8 of a second when switching files, which is enough to be noticeable, making any planned shots of over 9 minutes and 20 seconds unusable.

Come on DJI!  You're marketing the Osmo Pro and the X5 camera as a professional solution for crying out loud.  You've got to fix this problem if you want the X5 to be considered a Pro piece of equipment.
2017-4-2
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
United States

Advocate Posted at 2017-4-2 13:35
So, the results of my "experiment" are that the Osmo Pro (and therefore the X5 camera) skips approximately 0.8 of a second when switching files, which is enough to be noticeable, making any planned shots of over 9 minutes and 20 seconds unusable.

Come on DJI!  You're marketing the Osmo Pro and the X5 camera as a professional solution for crying out loud.  You've got to fix this problem if you want the X5 to be considered a Pro piece of equipment.

Well done, thank you for your feedback.  Hope to see this fixed in the future.  

I'm still wondering if the Osmo RAW has a larger cache file or software is written a little better that would solve this problem.

Hope a RAW users post feedback.

We wish you good fortune in all your adventures.
Frederick
Marbelle
2017-4-5
Use props
BasDamming
New
Netherlands

Does the X5 Adapter work with the X5s gimball?
2017-4-5
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As far as I understand it the X5s won't work with the Osmo (or Inspire 1) at all due to changes in the way the video is processed.

If I'm right, with the X5 and X3 cameras all of the processing was done on the actual camera itself, with the newer cameras the processing has been offloaded to the craft (Inspire 2).  Maybe this is so that DJI can offer camera "upgrades" when they release newer craft?
2017-4-6
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-4-13
Use props
Marbelle
lvl.1
United States

Marbelle Posted at 2017-4-13 12:14
**** The posts are shielded ****

UPDATE -
On March 28th I emailed DJI concerning my burning question in this post using the support email link on the DJI website.  I quickly received a replay on March 30th.  

The reply -
Thomas DJI
Please send this request to the e-mail address listed below and someone will be able to assist further.

dev@dji.com

Best,

Shortly after I forwarded the message from Thomas and my question to the dev@DJI.com on the same day - March 30th.  As of today April 13 I have not got a respone or acknoledgement of my question.

I have decided I'm not got get the OSMO Raw.  I will sell my OSMO+, return my OSMO mobil and keep my Mavic.  We are goiing to keep our Mavic but from this point on our compnay will not buy any more of DJI's products.

Good luck to you all-
Frederick

2017-4-13
Use props
LoganRO
New
Romania

I have the same issue with audio/video sync.
I've made some tests and if I shot on 25fps or 50fps the problem is solved.
Hope this will help.
2017-5-9
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
United States

The latest report is that DJI has resolved this loss frame issue with the P4P. But all users of other platforms will now put up the pressure on DJI to apply the solution to all other platforms. Please check out nevermindyourown youtube channel on his report of fixing missing frames.
2017-5-9
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-9 02:51
The latest report is that DJI has resolved this loss frame issue with the P4P. But all users of other platforms will now put up the pressure on DJI to apply the solution to all other platforms. Please check out nevermindyourown youtube channel on his report of fixing missing frames.

Where did you see DJI solved the dropped frame issue?  Couldn't find anything at nevermindyourown
2017-5-9
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

That is on his review on P4P. at 16:21
2017-5-9
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-9 15:58
That is on his review on P4P. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-d9sEQm2jw at 16:21

Thanks!  I would love it if they solved the dropped frames problem (particularly for my X3Z)  but my guess is that "fix" is tied to the new 1" camera and our existing cameras are SOL.  Hope I'm wrong.
2017-5-9
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

How one saves a file would probably have nothing to do with sensor? However, as I said, we need to keep the pressure on otherwise they would not do it. It does not have any financial incentive for them to bring it to other platform. Afterall, DJI want to sell new hardware not ones that have been sold. We need to spread the news so that users on other platform also raise the demand for resolving this missing frame issue.
2017-5-9
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.2
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-5-9 17:46
How one saves a file would probably have nothing to do with sensor? However, as I said, we need to keep the pressure on otherwise they would not do it. It does not have any financial incentive for them to bring it to other platform. Afterall, DJI want to sell new hardware not ones that have been sold. We need to spread the news so that users on other platform also raise the demand for resolving this missing frame issue.

Amen!  For pro users, this is completely unacceptable.  If I had purchased a $2K camera and had this problem (rather than a $600 toy camera) I would have returned it immediately. These are the only cameras in the world that lose frames between spans.  

BTW - I wasn't saying the 1" sensor has anything to do with lost frames problem.  Clearly, this is a brand new camera not based on any current DJI design so the internal architecture is undoubtedly new as well.  At least DJI is aware that this problem is a dealbreaker for many people.  I was told previously not to expect a software or firmware update that would be able to solve the problem for existing cameras because it's not possible.
2017-5-9
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Australia

To be honest, I also felt being cheated when this fact is made known. Also a lot of features I wish to have in standard Osmo has nowhere to be found on the Pro. I have made a big mistake being putting too much fate on DJI. How would anyone even dare to think, $2K camera has less feature set of their base model offering.

On another note, the new wired solution to replace the unreliable wireless connection between the phone and camera is again a patch job. With everything needs to be attached and connected to the camera, it becomes a joke. External mic, mobile phone, focus wheel, etc. Like Mac laughing at PC.
2017-5-9
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did this issue ever get fixed?
2018-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now