Desert mountain crash loss of signal
1558 23 2017-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91545 ft
United States

Hey everyone new poster here.  I have had my Mavic since January after a 4 month pre order. Anyways have been doing lots of little flights around work and the park getting use to it.  Yesterday we went south of Las Vegas to desert mountains to explore some remote mines high up on the hillsides. Everything was going great for the first 10 min or so. I was flying next a mountain side maybe 1/2 mi away when my controller stated disconnected get closer. I was filming while all this happened and it looks like the Mavic was going to return home but turned and flew directly into the mountain side. The sensor where on as far as I know. 45 min grueling hike up a mountain side I was able to find it. Camera is smashed and is stating compass error.  I have uploaded my flight log through the app. How can I uploaded for you fine folks to take a look?

http://Crash
51224433774__D9AB3EFE-6A68-4AFD-8FEB-3FBD6C599B3F.JPG
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Upload the logs using the instructions here or here.
2017-3-27
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

Thank you for the link. I will upload tonight a long with the crash video.
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That looks serious as droneflying follow his link and follow instructions and just come back and post the link.
2017-3-27
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

here is the data flight link
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=xTeaVX
2017-3-27
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

Here is the video of my Mavic killing itself.

2017-3-27
Use props
kaeyalin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153665 ft
United States

Just going by the video, it looks like RTH altitude was too low?
2017-3-27
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I would think obstacle avoidance might have helped...didn't even appear to register the giant obstacle at which it was flying into.
2017-3-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-27 16:54

I see from your logs from airdata that a 1.36 you reached max height you continue to fly higher, 469 feet, then you were behind the mountain and signal cut out because your RC had no line of sight, it looks like Mavic might have been returning home and it looks like OA did work but because of it having reached its max height it couldn't go higher to clear first obstacle, so procedure with Mavic is to fly around obstacle which it looks like it tried to do, but because it was now flying at an angle and not straight on and also very close to second obstacle which narrows the sensing view, OA didn't work a second time. My guess..

At some time in the flight you were trying to adjust a setting, was this sport mode or height restrictions.

2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-27 16:54

https://youtu.be/yh1OvjhIt2g

Your compass error was just because you crashed.
2017-3-28
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

I had switched the sport mode by accident but that was early on on the flight. Which it declined cause I was in flight.
2017-3-28
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

Hallmark007 you are correct I only have a compass issue after the crash not prior.

Any have a guess as to why the sensor failed to read the mountain?
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-28 03:01
Hallmark007 you are correct I only have a compass issue after the crash not prior.

Any have a guess as to why the sensor failed to read the mountain?

I made my guess earlier, would love to know.
2017-3-28
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-28 02:57
I had switched the sport mode by accident but that was early on on the flight. Which it declined cause I was in flight.

The fact that you were in flight shouldn't cause the system to decline to switch to sport mode. The switch is possible at any time in flight. This is strange as well.

As to why it didn't read the mountain - that can happen, sad but true. The fact it does not detect small bare branches on trees is not surprising but you are entitled to surprise in this case. But that doesn't give you anything unless DJI will accept their responsibility. However - your log does not indicate that RTH was started. This you can get out of DJI only if you send the drone back for evaluation and then press them to accept their fault - difficult but has happened already.

Good luck anyhow and sorry for your loss.
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-3-28 04:04
The fact that you were in flight shouldn't cause the system to decline to switch to sport mode. The switch is possible at any time in flight. This is strange as well.

As to why it didn't read the mountain - that can happen, sad but true. The fact it does not detect small bare branches on trees is not surprising but you are entitled to surprise in this case. But that doesn't give you anything unless DJI will accept their responsibility. However - your log does not indicate that RTH was started. This you can get out of DJI only if you send the drone back for evaluation and then press them to accept their fault - difficult but has happened already.

You cannot switch into sport mode in flight, unless you have set multiple flight mode in the app, you must first land.
2017-3-28
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

It is packaged up and ready to go back to day. I will press them about the issue and hopefully they will work with me. Specially since I have been using it quite a bit for or fire dept training and they are interested in possibly buying some. Who knows hopefully I will get some answers.
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-28 04:13
It is packaged up and ready to go back to day. I will press them about the issue and hopefully they will work with me. Specially since I have been using it quite a bit for or fire dept training and they are interested in possibly buying some. Who knows hopefully I will get some answers.

Good luck, I'm sure your dat files will tell the full story. Did you have care refresh.
2017-3-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

Since your RC evidently lost communication with the Mavic, the log from the app is incomplete, and probably won't provide the answer as to what exactly happened at the end of the flight. Luckily, you were able to retrieve your Mavic, which means you can pull the .dat file from it. If you want to have a go at deciphering the data yourself, you can try some of the tools listed here: http://www.mavichelp.com/Mavic-Pro/#DataLog

Or, put your .dat file up on Dropbox or similar, and some forum members may be able to help analyze it. There are some especially helpful users on the Mavicpilots.com forums.
2017-3-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Singapore

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-3-28 04:04

The warning about not being able to switch modes usually means that "Multiple Flight Modes" is not enabled in the settings. I assume that was the case here.
2017-3-28
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-3-28 04:26
The warning about not being able to switch modes usually means that "Multiple Flight Modes" is not enabled in the settings. I assume that was the case here.

Fair enough - if this is the case then yes, that's how it should be. On the other hand you can change the settings in flight and switch over without landing. Even if you land it won't be possible to switch over until you activate the feature. Hence my surprise about the statement about the flight impeding the switch.
2017-3-28
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

Unfortunately I don't have care refresh...... why???? Complacency. I didn't realize it was there till I crashed Sunday. I preordered from a eBay seller and never checked. When it gets fixed I am going to inquire if I can apply for the future. Lot of hard lessons being learned here.
2017-3-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Singapore

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-3-28 04:45
Fair enough - if this is the case then yes, that's how it should be. On the other hand you can change the settings in flight and switch over without landing. Even if you land it won't be possible to switch over until you activate the feature. Hence my surprise about the statement about the flight impeding the switch.

Oh yeah. I wasn't disagreeing with you on that. If Multiple Flight Modes is enabled, you can switch between Normal and Sport mode during flight. If the option's disabled, if you want Sport mode, you can still just enable the option while in flight.
2017-3-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Singapore

Silvrzuki77 Posted at 2017-3-28 04:57
Unfortunately I don't have care refresh...... why???? Complacency. I didn't realize it was there till I crashed Sunday. I preordered from a eBay seller and never checked. When it gets fixed I am going to inquire if I can apply for the future. Lot of hard lessons being learned here.

Have you sent your Mavic away already? Did you pull the .dat file off it? I think that's about the only we're gonna be able to find out exactly what happened. Even if DJI do analyze it, they don't always give the most accurate/in-depth explanation of an incident.
2017-3-28
Use props
Silvrzuki77
lvl.1
United States

Sitting on my counter. I can hold off and get the files and than send it out tomorrow.
2017-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules