Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JAFARINI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15252589 ft
  • >>>
Georgia

Hi Guys

I got jello very often. I am not sure if it is problem or normal for Phantom 4 Pro

Wind in this video was not very strong.

I also have Phantom 3 and I get same effect only in very rare situations when for example there is strong wind and accelerating with full power.

Please let me know your thoughts on this if have experience with P3 and P4 compared.

2017-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Lovely location, brilliant scenery and well shot. But I do not see any real evidence of jello in that clip at all.
2017-3-27
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

JAFARINI,

First - beautiful video and editing job.

With regard to "jello" effect which is a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) jiggling of narrow horizontal bands of the recorded video file - this is NOT a defect or hardware problem. Jello is caused by a combination of small aircraft/gimbal vibrations COMBINED with the use of a high shutter speed that is many times greater than the capture frame rate of the video recording.  In the case of the P4Pro it can capture video in 4K at either 30 fps or 60 fps.  To greatly reduce or eliminate video "jello" effect you need to use ND filters (available from DJI and various 3rd parties) on the P4Pro camera lens to reduce the incoming light and, thus, force the camera to use a much slower shutter speed. Ideally, you want to target using a shutter speed of about twice the video capture frame rate. At very high shutter speeds, the video image being captured can change subtly shift left/right many times as the whole frame is captured. Thus, slight shifts in the image caused by aircraft/gimbal vibrations are captured and horizontal bands of the captured image appear to jiggle slightly. Using ND filters enables the use of lower shutter speeds which greatly reduces/eliminates the subtle left-right shifts in the video image that are captured in a single frame of video and, thus, no "jello" effect.

So, if you are shooting 4K video at 60 fps, you want a shutter speed of 1/120th sec.  Based on the bright, sunny day you were filming and the abundance of bright, white, reflective snow cover, you would likely have needed an ND32 (or, possibly, an ND64) filter to reduce shutter speed to 1/120th sec.
2017-3-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-3-28 05:48
JAFARINI,

I will add here to my own experience. There IS a problem with the gimbal creating its own vibrations, my P4P is currently at DJI's repair center under a warranty repair for the same exact thing.. They are replacing the camera and gimbal.

Regardless of high shutter speeds, the camera should not be subject to vibrations that high (my P4 does not have this issue).

The fact that DJI IS replacing my gimbal shows it is a real issue that was found in my P4P.

Feel your P4P for vibrations while it is on the ground with no motors running. If you feel a vibration through the craft, feel the yaw arm on the gimbal. If you can slightly nudge it and make the vibration stop you may have the same problem i did.
2017-3-28
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

Jello can be caused by a number of things, including your Phantom itself: personally, I noticed some randomly occurring jello in my P4P and started researching. I found that unbalanced propellers would also cause that. Looking closer into my propellers, except that I found all of them to be (slightly) unbalanced, I also noticed something else: in one of the four motors, the white plastic propeller input was very loose. That could also cause (or at least amplify) jello. This is easily fixed with a 1.5mm Allen wrench, while to balance the propellers, you need one of the solutions available in the market (~20-30$).

It goes without saying that jello can be also caused by different things, including gimbal hardware problems (as in previous post), IMU calibration etc., but I'm guessing in your case it is slight enough to assume that it's a matter of details in balancing.
2017-3-28
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

eliminate shutter speed cause, use ND filters etc.  If you still have the jello then look at the gimbal, camera etc

cheers
2017-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jello is caused by ONE THING ONLY, vibration of the camera, nothing else. But as I said earlier, there is no appreciable jello in that clip.
2017-3-28
Use props
PliciPleosc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100226 ft
Romania

Maybe my definition of jello effect is off, but that "lateral dancing" at almost all moments is absolutely terrible and ruins the otherwise beautiful footage.
2017-3-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

PliciPleosc Posted at 2017-3-28 16:54
Maybe my definition of jello effect is off, but that "lateral dancing" at almost all moments is absolutely terrible and ruins the otherwise beautiful footage.

This explains the jello effect: http://forum.dji.com/thread-34408-1-1.html
2017-3-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

I still think the op needs to check for gimbal vibration at idle. Mine had a similar thing going on and DJI replaced the camera/gimbal. I'm waiting to get it back but for them to have replaced it tells me that they did indeed find a problem and my observations were verified.
2017-3-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-29 18:27
I still think the op needs to check for gimbal vibration at idle. Mine had a similar thing going on and DJI replaced the camera/gimbal. I'm waiting to get it back but for them to have replaced it tells me that they did indeed find a problem and my observations were verified.

I agree, quite a few jello issues can be traced back to a poorly adjust gimbal system. The gains might be too high and the gimbal vibrates.
2017-3-29
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-29 19:58
I agree, quite a few jello issues can be traced back to a poorly adjust gimbal system. The gains might be too high and the gimbal vibrates.

Is this something that can be corrected by firmware eventually as well?
2017-3-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-30 04:24
Is this something that can be corrected by firmware eventually as well?

Not usually. It is an adjustment inside the machine.
2017-3-30
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.3
  • >>>
Georgia

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-27 22:07
Lovely location, brilliant scenery and well shot. But I do not see any real evidence of jello in that clip at all.

Thanks for the comment. Pay attention the effect is prominent at 0:20 to 0:35
2017-4-1
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.3
  • >>>
Georgia

JAFARINI,

Hi and thanks for sharing so much information about having twice much shutter speed than FPS.
I am always paying attention to use this rule and have filters for my drone as well but here I fly without filter and this effect is very annoying. This is not the first time I am flying with the drone and seems this is problem with the gimbal.
2017-4-1
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

My friend, I can understand you very well, I was suffering exactly the same problem. Geebax is right about Jello. It is happening for only one reason - camera vibration. For me there was only one solution, DJI replaced the drone and now !!!no jello!!!
2017-4-1
Use props
kykphantom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

Have you solved the problem?
2017-4-14
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.3
  • >>>
Georgia

kykphantom Posted at 2017-4-14 04:54
Have you solved the problem?

Not yet. I tried balancing props, gimbal calibration, firmware upgrade to latest.

The problem is more prominent in windy situations.

This footage is useless.

2017-4-26
Use props
JAFARINI
lvl.3
  • >>>
Georgia

kykphantom Posted at 2017-4-1 12:15
My friend, I can understand you very well, I was suffering exactly the same problem. Geebax is right about Jello. It is happening for only one reason - camera vibration. For me there was only one solution, DJI replaced the drone and now !!!no jello!!!

Thanks for the message. Seems I also have to send it to DJI
2017-4-26
Use props
fans813a6938
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15246 ft
New Zealand

Dam.... This is happening to me to.  Im going to try turning down the Yaw gains, doing an IMU calibration,  checking the gimbal without motors spinning, check the motors etc....  Pain in the post production....
2017-11-12
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

JAFARINI Posted at 2017-4-26 13:11
Not yet.  I tried balancing props, gimbal calibration, firmware upgrade to latest.

The problem is more prominent in windy situations.

I'm afraid you expect too much from this system. The image may shake a bit here and there, but it's perfectly acceptable for high speed footage, when the camera is exposed to turbulent winds. It has nothing to do with jello effect. The image stability you'll consider acceptable may be - perhaps - delivered by way heavier gimbal/camera systems and way more stable platforms like M600 ... Your drone performs fine in it's class, just don't expect miracles ...
2017-11-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans813a6938 Posted at 2017-11-12 23:03
Dam.... This is happening to me to.  Im going to try turning down the Yaw gains, doing an IMU calibration,  checking the gimbal without motors spinning, check the motors etc....  Pain in the post production....

Can you provide an original video about the jello effect? Please fly in a place with low wind. Please check your propellers and see if they are well-functioned. In addition, please ensure that the Gimbal Rubber Dampers doesn't become harden.
2017-11-13
Use props
DallasDroneGuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13216588 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know this thread is old but just wanted to chime in that I too have jello rendering my vids useless. I have sent in to DJI once already and may have to do it again!! This should not be happening, my $300 P3S films smoother video than my $1,500 P4P! I use ND filters and slow the shutter speed and still have jello. Jafarni, you are recording in very bright (white snow in the sunlight) situations which will lead your camera to automatically switch to very fast shutter speed to prevent overexposure. Do you still have this in low light settings?? It is worth a $40 ND filter try before sending it in to DJI IMO. Then again this was over a year ago...But maybe my comment can help someone new pulling up this thread because they have a jello issue of their own.
2018-5-22
Use props
cocoapod
lvl.1
South Korea

JAFARINI. did you send your p4p to DJI? finished?
2018-9-17
Use props
Dhans Farkisonk
lvl.1
Indonesia

Mobilcams Diposting pada 2017-3-28 07:08
Saya akan menambahkan di sini untuk pengalaman saya sendiri. Ada masalah dengan gimbal menciptakan getaran sendiri, P4P saya saat ini di pusat perbaikan DJI di bawah perbaikan garansi untuk hal yang sama persis .. Mereka mengganti kamera dan gimbal.

Terlepas dari kecepatan rana yang tinggi, kamera tidak boleh terkena getaran yang tinggi (P4 saya tidak memiliki masalah ini).

really your analysis, I just bought p4p and had the same problem, namely vibration on the camera, after being investigated it turned out that the upper gimbal motor was vibrating strongly, and I would send my p4p back to dji
2018-10-31
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sun strobe effect due to the props/sun angle to camera, needs a lens hood and slower shutter speed you need to try 24fps and 1/50th sec ... IMO
2018-10-31
Use props
tonymobile
lvl.3
Flight distance : 831699 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Possible causes of the malfunction:

1. Body Shell, crooked, damaged, unbalanced.
2. Faulty drone engines or unbalanced propellers
3. Unbalanced Gimbal mechanics (frame) or some defective engine

Tony.
B2B DRONE - Italy

2020-1-23
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-28 17:27
This explains the jello effect: http://forum.dji.com/thread-34408-1-1.html

So basically invest in a good prop balancer and some sand paper?
2020-1-24
Use props
Fabian Fuentes
lvl.1
Colombia

JAFARINI,

Yes. The main problem is the shutter speed.
I have a ph4prov2 brand new and it ever before captured videos whith jello effect. I send the drone in waranty to the autorized seller (in Colombia) who sell it me, and the answer was to send it direct to china for a gimbal change. I ever use before the auto settings in the camera parameters. Yesterday I configure in manual mode at 30fps and shutter speed at 60 and the video works perfectly.
Now I search for a good ND filters to help to decrease the light in the sensor to reduce the shutrer speed.
Thanks. I never think that it could be the problem in my videos.
2021-1-18
Use props
Alex G
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1366857 ft
  • >>>
Spain

It is a manufacturing defect, this defect causes vibrations in the Yaw motor.  I have purchased this drone, and have had 3 replacements for this issue until I have decided to cancel the purchase.  I do not understand how DJI does not perform a correct quality control on this model of drone.
2021-2-25
Use props
droney_baloney
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486 ft
United States

Alex G Posted at 2021-2-25 07:35
It is a manufacturing defect, this defect causes vibrations in the Yaw motor.  I have purchased this drone, and have had 3 replacements for this issue until I have decided to cancel the purchase.  I do not understand how DJI does not perform a correct quality control on this model of drone.

Was this with the V1 or V2 P4P?
2022-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules