slave controller keeps losing picture
3001 17 2017-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andygb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112743 ft
United Kingdom

Just after a bit of info using the inspire with dual controls and having nothing but problems with the slave controller losing picture. Been on all forums and its on going problem and most people saying best solution is to run a monitor off master controller as well as i pad air for master. Just wanting to know if people use this set up which is best monitor. The one am looking at is Flysight Black Pearl 7" Wireless 5.8ghz Monitor anybody got this one or any recomendations for one.
2017-3-28
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I got the "Feelworld" 10" wireless 5.8GHz, similar spec to the "Black Pearl", it's ok but the 5.8 won't pick up the live feed, for that you need 2.4GHz. The picture is ok, but I seldom use it, I have gone back to Nvidia Shield.
What devices are you using on you master and slave? It could be the device on the slave is not up to the job. Have you tried swapping devices from master to slave? Are you running the same app and firmware versions?

Mark G.
2017-3-28
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

You can try applying the '32 channel hack' (google it) - but be aware that while that has fixed the issue for some people, it re-enables channels that are not legal to use in some countries.
How about an actual fix for this issue DJI??
2017-3-28
Use props
andygb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-3-28 08:53
I got the "Feelworld" 10" wireless 5.8GHz, similar spec to the "Black Pearl", it's ok but the 5.8 won't pick up the live feed, for that you need 2.4GHz. The picture is ok, but I seldom use it, I have gone back to Nvidia Shield.
What devices are you using on you master and slave? It could be the device on the slave is not up to the job. Have you tried swapping devices from master to slave? Are you running the same app and firmware versions?

Hi mark am using i pad air 2 on both controllers. The picture on master controller is rock solid picture. I've tried changing i pad air 2 while flying and same thing happens. Been told on forums its dji built in fault and best way around it. Using i pad air 2 on master fed via usb lead. And a monitor fed from master controller via hdmi used with slave controller.
2017-3-28
Use props
andygb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-28 16:54
You can try applying the '32 channel hack' (google it) - but be aware that while that has fixed the issue for some people, it re-enables channels that are not legal to use in some countries.
How about an actual fix for this issue DJI??

Hi Frank thanks for that will ave a look at the hack. But like you say should be a fix done by dji
2017-3-28
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

andygb Posted at 2017-3-28 21:34
Hi Frank thanks for that will ave a look at the hack. But like you say should be a fix done by dji

You more than likely have a bad USB port on the Slave RC . ( or a bad preset , see reset procedure below )  If you swapped the I pads between master and slave and the video is still poor  you know it is not the I pad itself must be in the Rc Slave transmitter.   When you swapped the cable was swapped as well correct ?  If not be sure to do that .

I have the I pad pros and I pad airs and the Master / Slave work perfectly on mine. ( Inspire 1 )

One other thing you could try is doing a Reset of the RC, this will wipe out any pre sets that might be giving you issues .  I would try that first , then look at the HDMI part  #94 on back of the RC.

donnie
Try resetting the RC by using the following button combination:

* Turn on the RC  transmitter , and the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and  red shutte button  on the transmitter ( press and  hold the buttons in firmly )  then turn the transmitter off whilst still holding buttons in firmly wait a few seconds and let go .
* Turn on both the aircraft and the transmitter  normally .

You will need to do the setup procedure again , When setting the RC up as the slave again, ensure that you hit the "request control" button.

donnie
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Please give Donnie's advice a try and see if it helps. Just to clarify, have you already tried reassigning the slave RC as the master and vice versa to confirm that it only happens when one is assigned as the slave or if it's just a bad USB on the one RC as Donnie mentioned?
2017-3-29
Use props
andygb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Donnie * Posted at 2017-3-29 06:35
You more than likely have a bad USB port on the Slave RC . ( or a bad preset , see reset procedure below )  If you swapped the I pads between master and slave and the video is still poor  you know it is not the I pad itself must be in the Rc Slave transmitter.   When you swapped the cable was swapped as well correct ?  If not be sure to do that .

I have the I pad pros and I pad airs and the Master / Slave work perfectly on mine. ( Inspire 1 )

Hi Donnie thanks for answering  yeah tried resetting the controller and then reconnecting back the inspire. Changed tablets,leads and even changed master and slave controller rolls and still same issue. Am out of ideas but weather permitting this weekend will reset both controllers reconnect again. The thing is i have the z3 and x3 and it happens approx 600ft out on both cameras. Even thought of sending it back to dji but only  want to do that as a last resort. But having the missus nagging me because she losing picture is enough to drive a man to sending it.
2017-3-29
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

andygb Posted at 2017-3-29 22:13
Hi Donnie thanks for answering  yeah tried resetting the controller and then reconnecting back the inspire. Changed tablets,leads and even changed master and slave controller rolls and still same issue. Am out of ideas but weather permitting this weekend will reset both controllers reconnect again. The thing is i have the z3 and x3 and it happens approx 600ft out on both cameras. Even thought of sending it back to dji but only  want to do that as a last resort. But having the missus nagging me because she losing picture is enough to drive a man to sending it.

Have you tried making slave master and master slave and re test ( On the RC transmitter's , Not the Go app device's )  , if the video now drops out on the master ( formerly the slave )  then you know it is the RC transmitter causing the issue, Maybe the Antenna connection to the mother- board or possibly a bad part 94 on back RC, the HDMI module .  

Below is a nice diagram  that shows how the Video and control signal works . Like I said 9-10 it is the go app device but with your due dilligance , you may be that 1-10 and have a bad part somewhere on the slave RC.

Also some tips below for better distance , dont htink it will help the defective Slave RC though , but worth a try

When you get at the 600 foot mark and beyond  be sure to keep the AC orientated so that it is pointing directly at you or away from you , the antennas are NOT located on the side of the aircraft and range can be greatly diminished in fringe areas if not pointing directly  at you or away , keep the Transmitter high in the air , make sure not pointing down , and pointing at the AC at all times .  
Can you get at least 3/4 of a kilometer with just the Master RC ?  Or farther ?  Just want to make sure not an antenna issue On the Aircraft .  If you get good distance with just the master  we know that the AC antennas are Ok.

If your test confirm a bad RC slave transmitter then I would look at the Antenna solder and connections, and possibly a bad HDMI module that is failing .  If out of warrenty I would take the back cover off and inspect and inspect the wiring  from the antenna to the mother board .  Also  at the base of the antennas as well, the right antenna will have 2 wirres  that you can see in  the base of the antenna, one is for the AC and the other communicates 5.8  to the master RC, the antenna on left is for the AC only , make sure they are still frimly in place and not broken , crimped etc.

Just want to eliminate all other possibilites so you an focus on a fix.

*** You could also take the HDMI module off the good RC and place on the Faulty one and see if it clears up, this would further narrow down the problem .  ONLY do this if you have confidence that you are not going to break it and are handy with stuff like this .  I have done several of these for friends and it is simple but you must have steady hands and the correct tools, they are not expensive and are at any hardware store , just need to have the correct ones.  If you lived In my area I would be happy to do it for ya, but since you are over the pond that might be a bit of  a long  swim for me.

*** When loosing the picture on the slave go app device  does the HD bars show a  decrease  in strength ? , this would be indiciative of a antenna problem on the Slave RC if the MASTER shows no such  decrease  , Like in the diagram the video is sent INDEPENDENTLY  to both the Slave  and Master , If this is the case where you lose signal to the slave RC but the HD bars are strong then I would suspect the HDMI module on the Slave RC.  

Good luck

donnie

Dual_Controllers.png
2017-3-30
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

ill be interested in what happens.  Please keep us posted as this happens to me when I'm in high interference areas, but not on my master
2017-3-30
Use props
andygb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Donnie * Posted at 2017-3-30 04:03
Have you tried making slave master and master slave and re test ( On the RC transmitter's , Not the Go app device's )  , if the video now drops out on the master ( formerly the slave )  then you know it is the RC transmitter causing the issue, Maybe the Antenna connection to the mother- board or possibly a bad part 94 on back RC, the HDMI module .  

Below is a nice diagram  that shows how the Video and control signal works . Like I said 9-10 it is the go app device but with your due dilligance , you may be that 1-10 and have a bad part somewhere on the slave RC.

Hi Donnie

Well that was a strange weekend tock the inspire out to the various local areas where i have had issues before and not a damn thing wrong with picture quality in any areas or either camera. Had it out passed 2500 feet and picture was crisp and clear on both controllers using i pad airs. Done nothing different was preparing myself to find out what was causing it ie bad connection faulty controller etc etc this weekend. got it ready friday night batteries controllers fully charged for saturday, tock it out first thing to the first area set it all up and normal doing nothing different apart from the first flight used single controller as wanted to check picture quality and tock it out to about 2400 feet picture on it as normal rock solid. Then connected the second controller up and tock it slowly out to around 600 feet where it normally loses picture on slave unit and that was clear as a bell carried on out to approx 2700 feet and both controllers/ i pads showing great picture image. Emptied the battery just flying around checking picture images on both and they stayed fine. Brought it back replaced battery doing this with 3 batteries in total and using both cameras no issues at all then went to second place where always had problems in the past set up again this time. Only connected main controller again flew it out approx 2000 feet to check picture and then connected both controllers and no issues again on either camera/ i pad used other three batteries that i have and no issues. Did this all day saturday and sunday going back home and recharging batteries when all six empty visiting three various areas near me that had problems with them all in the past and on the sunday connected both controllers at same time straight away no problems. So sat now scratching my head.
2017-4-4
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

andygb Posted at 2017-4-4 17:43
Hi Donnie

Well that was a strange weekend tock the inspire out to the various local areas where i have had issues before and not a damn thing wrong with picture quality in any areas or either camera. Had it out passed 2500 feet and picture was crisp and clear on both controllers using i pad airs. Done nothing different was preparing myself to find out what was causing it ie bad connection faulty controller etc etc this weekend. got it ready friday night batteries controllers fully charged for saturday, tock it out first thing to the first area set it all up and normal doing nothing different apart from the first flight used single controller as wanted to check picture quality and tock it out to about 2400 feet picture on it as normal rock solid. Then connected the second controller up and tock it slowly out to around 600 feet where it normally loses picture on slave unit and that was clear as a bell carried on out to approx 2700 feet and both controllers/ i pads showing great picture image. Emptied the battery just flying around checking picture images on both and they stayed fine. Brought it back replaced battery doing this with 3 batteries in total and using both cameras no issues at all then went to second place where always had problems in the past set up again this time. Only connected main controller again flew it out approx 2000 feet to check picture and then connected both controllers and no issues again on either camera/ i pad used other three batteries that i have and no issues. Did this all day saturday and sunday going back home and recharging batteries when all six empty visiting three various areas near me that had problems with them all in the past and on the sunday connected both controllers at same time straight away no problems. So sat now scratching my head.

Sounds to me like a bad connection somewhere ( thank you captain obvious )  Did you make any changes AT ALL to the configurations , or new I pad cable etc.  Enable hardware decode ???  ?  I am glad it is working but I never like when things 'SPONTANEOUSLY "  fix themselves cause it is usually only temporary .  

Keep me posted, but glad for now it is working

donnie
2017-4-5
Use props
Fernando_Mutis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7103 ft
Colombia

I have the same problem with mi slave control, the master still Clear and HD video signal, but in the slave apear green bars and glitch in the 80% of the flying time

Any Solution for this
2017-7-12
Use props
Richard ND
lvl.1
Flight distance : 758871 ft
Australia

Hi, doing some exploring on master/slave and monitors (see my recent post asking for help!).Are you suggesting that you connect an additional monitor over HDMI to the master so that the slave operator can use that to view on instead of whatever tablet they are using on the slave?
2017-7-12
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

Fernando_Mutis Posted at 2017-7-12 20:42
I have the same problem with mi slave control, the master still Clear and HD video signal, but in the slave apear green bars and glitch in the 80% of the flying time

Any Solution for this

You must have a bad Go App device , as in not powerful enough, switch around the go app device from master to slave and see if it goes away .  If you have perfect video on the master than more than likely it is the go app device itself .

Other possibilities , Bad cable  between go app and RC or Bad HDMI port . 9-10 times it is the go ap device .
More than likely if the  video siganl is fine on the Master, it is the Go app or cable that is the problem .

donnie
2017-7-13
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

andygb Posted at 2017-4-4 17:43
Hi Donnie

Glad that it was working again... Did you ever look at the camera mount cables? I was wondering if you have a loose  connection on the camera mounting base coming from the front of the Inspire main board?

Something to check anyway it is hard to fix it when things are working

Rich
2017-7-13
Use props
davawt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Donnie * Posted at 2017-3-30 04:03

Hi Donnie,
I think did swim over and fix it,
(Donnie) (  If you lived In my area I would be happy to do it for ya, but since you are over the pond that might be a bit of  a long  swim for me. )
or you are Psychic.
I am glad that it is fixed anyway, I had a problem and found the answer on the forum, great place to learn.
bye,
Dave
2017-7-17
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
United States

davawt Posted at 2017-7-17 08:41
Hi Donnie,
I think did swim over and fix it,
(Donnie) (  If you lived In my area I would be happy to do it for ya, but since you are over the pond that might be a bit of  a long  swim for me. )

The wet ground must have been the giveaway that I swam over , next time I will be more careful .

If it happens again be sure to let me Know and I will have Rich Swim over this time !!

donnie
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules