2937 35 2017-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like many that preordered the new Mavic Pro Combo, it took a long time to finally get one. I received my Mavic Pro combo kit with great excitement and anticipation. My Mavic flew perfectly out of the box. After about my first 20 flights I noticed the camera would not focus on the lower right side no matter what I did.  Edit: after reviewing my flightlogs; I had a total of 48 flights on my Mavic from 1 to 21 minutes long.

Of course, I updated the FW to the latest and Go 4 App was also up to date. I decided to look on the forum and see if others have seen this issue too. Based on several other threads reporting camera focus problems... it seems that I was not alone.  I asked DJI Ken of our forum for his advice, giving me some things to try before returning the drone to DJI repair.
These solutions did not work for me and it appears my camera was having problems.  Yah it sucks that my new Mavic Pro would need to go back to DJI for repairs after only having it for several weeks. Edit:  New Mavic Pro received 11/24/16 to 2/14/17 time fly's when you are having fun  camera problem accepted by DJI  2/15/17

The online DJI repair form process was pretty easy by following all the steps provided. Be sure to provide DJI with all of your information related to the problem, such as photos or videos (put them on my dropbox) and purchase invoice record. Tell them the items you are returning (they will suggest mandatory items) on the form.  I submitted my repair ticket and later that day, I received an email message of acceptance of my repair. DJI sent me a return UPS Label and instructions.  So this all happened pretty quickly (same day) and I had my Mavic Pro boxed up to ship that same day.

The Mavic Pro was delivered in Carson CA repair facility in three days and this is where the first snag in my repair adventure happened. It took about one week to get my drone checked in. We do not have any idea on how many shipments they receive daily (I can only imagine) or the repair shop loading. All we see is our 1 drone that was sent to them and we want it back fixed already.... right.  
So the good news is my Mavic was at the repair shop inspected and waiting for repairs. The unit was approved for warranty replacement camera & gimbal (no charge)..... Yay! it was determined that it had a problem (not me).    Well unfortunately, the next snag was waiting my turn until the repairman could take care of my Mavic Pro. Also, they needed to wait for replacement parts. I can only assume this is because of the demand for this popular drone, it took awhile.  I wished it could have gone faster, but DJI was doing the best they can under the circumstances. Besides I have the Inspire 1 and P4 to fly while waiting...  
I received excellent communications from DJI  Thanks Ken!,  Shop Manager!

My Mavic Pro was received back last week in perfect condition. I charged the batteries, updated my FW, App settings, calibrated and then test flew it at my house. The weather has been keeping me from flying until last weekend. My Mavic Pro has been working great and the photos and videos are in focus as they should be.  
Thank you DJI for completing my repair and for having an excellent warranty policy.

PS Ken, please offer my thanks and appreciation to the entire repair team in Carson for a job well done.

Rich
2017-3-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Out of curiosity, what was the total turnaround time (in business and / or calendar days) from when you mailed it to when you got it back? And did you actually receive the same aircraft back that you sent in (same serial number) or did you get a different / replacement Mavic?
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job Richj53, nice to hear good honest feedback, happy flying..
2017-3-28
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

We need more pilots like Rich!
2017-3-28
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Thats great to hear!
2017-3-28
Use props
FirebladePilot
New
United States

Thanks for the tips and insight. Looks like I will be sending mine in for repair too. The controller just decided to stop functioning properly.
2017-3-28
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Lucky...I'm in a whole different world than you. I've had the total opposite experience. I'm pretty sure they shipped my drone back to me un repaired.  Even thought I have DJI Refresh Care. I love DJI-Ken. I've had long PM's with him. And yes they are support a lot of drones and different cases. But no one, I repeat, No ONE should be in the dark for more then 2 days. I've had to chase (calling, message, pm's. tweets, chat) down to get any updates on my drone. And still nothing... I've final today posted a thread.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-90475-1-1.html

But with all this said. I shouldn't be chasing.
2017-3-28
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Good to read posts that are positive, rather than the usual brickbats.
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-3-28 10:54
Lucky...I'm in a whole different world than you. I've had the total opposite experience. I'm pretty sure they shipped my drone back to me un repaired.  Even thought I have DJI Refresh Care. I love DJI-Ken. I've had long PM's with him. And yes they are support a lot of drones and different cases. But no one, I repeat, No ONE should be in the dark for more then 2 days. I've had to chase (calling, message, pm's. tweets, chat) down to get any updates on my drone. And still nothing... I've final today posted a thread.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-90475-1-1.html

Are you serious 2 days, are you expecting the sky to fall in..
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for posting Rich, and the delay in your replacement has been resolved and sorry it took longer than expected. I've notified the repair team of your appreciation.
Thanks again Rich.
2017-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-28 11:03
Thanks for posting Rich, and the delay in your replacement has been resolved and sorry it took longer than expected. I've notified the repair team of your appreciation.
Thanks again Rich.

Thanks Ken,
It took longer than I hoped, but all in all this was a good experience. You were very nice to keep a handle on things for me!  Hopefully things will settle down and give the guys a break.  

I have just started to fly my new P4P and trying to get used to the camera. wow this has been great so far.

Rich
2017-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-28 09:12
Out of curiosity, what was the total turnaround time (in business and / or calendar days) from when you mailed it to when you got it back? And did you actually receive the same aircraft back that you sent in (same serial number) or did you get a different / replacement Mavic?

Honestly I wanted to keep this post positive and trying to understand the pressure the DJI shop has been under. 3-4 weeks of down time was not to terrible for me. They replaced the Mavic in my case.

The part I care about is .... I have a great drone working the way it was designed.

Rich
2017-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-28 09:17
Good job Richj53, nice to hear good honest feedback, happy flying..

Thank you so much ....

Rich
2017-3-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FirebladePilot Posted at 2017-3-28 10:23
Thanks for the tips and insight. Looks like I will be sending mine in for repair too. The controller just decided to stop functioning properly.

Sorry, about your problem.... They will take of you. Make sure you give them plenty of information...

Rich
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-28 13:53
Thanks Ken,
It took longer than I hoped, but all in all this was a good experience. You were very nice to keep a handle on things for me!  Hopefully things will settle down and give the guys a break.  

Sounds good, and yes the P4P has an incredible camera. Enjoy, and have a great rest of the week.
2017-3-28
Use props
mildim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 981558 ft
Switzerland

Nice to hear. Positive feedback is always good.

2017-3-28
Use props
JarekNYC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466696 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-28 11:03
Thanks again Rich.

Hey guys I Just got mine Mavic with extra batteries as well, can we figure out the issue with serial number or series? I just got it and already reading this stuff makes me sick when I paid so much money
2017-3-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-28 13:58
Honestly I wanted to keep this post positive and trying to understand the pressure the DJI shop has been under. 3-4 weeks of down time was not to terrible for me. They replaced the Mavic in my case.

The part I care about is .... I have a great drone working the way it was designed.

Thanks for the follow-up. So it was about a 4-week turnaround? The reason I asked was that I saw in one of your previous posts that you had received your Mavic in mid-November and you wrote here that you'd only had it for several weeks before realizing you'd have to send it in for service. You also mentioned that you just got it back last week, so I was curious about the timeline; sending it back in December (a few weeks after you received it) and getting it back last week would have meant a gap of several months.

Honestly I wanted to keep this post positive

Sorry if it appeared from my previous post that I intended otherwise; I was just genuinely curious as to how long it took.

3-4 weeks of down time was not to terrible for me.

I understand, and although I'm not one of the ones who has complained about DJI's service, I sympathize with those who have. It's great that you still have your Phantom and Inspire to fly, but in fairness to those folks who have complained, I believe it's probably harder to be laid back about waiting when you don't have a fallback aircraft.

They replaced the Mavic in my case.

That's what I suspected, though the wording of your original post made me think maybe you had gotten back your original. I was intrigued because that would have been the first case I'd heard of in some time where someone received the same one they sent.
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

JarekNYC Posted at 2017-3-28 14:39
Hey guys I Just got mine Mavic with extra batteries as well, can we figure out the issue with serial number or series? I just got it and already reading this stuff makes me sick when I paid so much money

What are you referring to, if you send an aircraft in for repair and it comes back with a different flight controller serial# then the aircraft has been exchanged.
2017-3-29
Use props
pan_de_ron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36017 ft
United States

I just received my replaced DJI Mavic Pro. The RMA process wasn't too bad. People just need to wait patiently. The backlog in repair is where the issue happens with the wait time. Think they need to start working on weekends to catch up.   It's just a thought.

I just emailed DJI Care to bind my replaced Mavic with the original one they have in their system. I'm hoping they can give me a new start date for my DJI Care Refesh since my repair was done under warranty versus a refresh. I technically had my Mavic for 6 days in possession before I sent it out. I've been without it for 28 days or so. It's been through the RMA process longer then I've had it.  I don't want to fly my replaced mavic until its bind with DJI Care or am I safe to fly it give it a try? Hopefully, I get good turnaround time on the response.  Overall, I still think it is a good product and they are there to help you.
2017-3-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-28 15:14
Thanks for the follow-up. So it was about a 4-week turnaround? The reason I asked was that I saw in one of your previous posts that you had received your Mavic in mid-November and you wrote here that you'd only had it for several weeks before realizing you'd have to send it in for service. You also mentioned that you just got it back last week, so I was curious about the timeline; sending it back in December (a few weeks after you received it) and getting it back last week would have meant a gap of several months.

Honestly I wanted to keep this post positive

DF
You are right, I was trying to go from memory and this is my old age showing.  The weather has been terrible and truly did not seem as long as the DJI repair timeline indicated.  My report was intended as a general reflection of the overall process, I will be more careful in the future. You are correct, if the Mavic Pro was my only drone it might be harder waiting for it to return.  I am very blessed to have more than one.

Rich

I will edit my report with more accurate timeline information

Rich
2017-3-29
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-29 09:13
DF
You are right, I was trying to go from memory and this is my old age showing.  The weather has been terrible and truly did not seem as long as the DJI repair timeline indicated.  My report was intended as a general reflection of the overall process, I will be more careful in the future. You are correct, if the Mavic Pro was my only drone it might be harder waiting for it to return.  I am very blessed to have more than one.

Thanks again for the follow-up, Rich. I truly admire your positive attitude.
2017-3-29
Use props
charlesrmc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 480135 ft
United States

Great report, thanks for sharing.. Glad you had a good experience
2017-3-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

pan_de_ron Posted at 2017-3-29 09:02
I just received my replaced DJI Mavic Pro. The RMA process wasn't too bad. People just need to wait patiently. The backlog in repair is where the issue happens with the wait time. Think they need to start working on weekends to catch up.   It's just a thought.

I just emailed DJI Care to bind my replaced Mavic with the original one they have in their system. I'm hoping they can give me a new start date for my DJI Care Refesh since my repair was done under warranty versus a refresh. I technically had my Mavic for 6 days in possession before I sent it out. I've been without it for 28 days or so. It's been through the RMA process longer then I've had it.  I don't want to fly my replaced mavic until its bind with DJI Care or am I safe to fly it give it a try? Hopefully, I get good turnaround time on the response.  Overall, I still think it is a good product and they are there to help you.

I think it will improve once the supply is better and sales slow down. I had a two week turn around with my Inspire 1 and DJI was awesome replacing my camera /gimbal with a new one.

It is nice they support the product as well as they do
Rich
2017-3-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-29 09:15
Thanks again for the follow-up, Rich. I truly admire your positive attitude.

Thanks DF !
2017-3-29
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

charlesrmc Posted at 2017-3-29 18:50
Great report, thanks for sharing.. Glad you had a good experience

Thank you

All the best
Rich
2017-3-29
Use props
out2sea71
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

Having just packaged my drone for ship in and service.  I am hopeful that I have a positive experience as this person did.  With all of the negative postings it is easy to feel like the sky is falling and not just your drone.  Thank you for posting.
2017-3-29
Use props
charlesrmc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 480135 ft
United States

out2sea71 Posted at 2017-3-29 22:59
Having just packaged my drone for ship in and service.  I am hopeful that I have a positive experience as this person did.  With all of the negative postings it is easy to feel like the sky is falling and not just your drone.  Thank you for posting.

Well.. I have been one of those complaining.. but it's only because I really love the product and I would hate to see DJI fall to the way-side in favor of more attentive competition.  I have a Phantom and a Mavic, (well THEY have the Mavic (41 days now), and they are excellent products.  If they gave warranty repairs the same priority and urgency they gave new sales (or heck, somewhere even close would work for me), 99% of these issues would go away I think.
2017-3-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

out2sea71 Posted at 2017-3-29 22:59

Sorry you are sending in the Mavic Pro..... DJI will take care of you and hang in there while waiting.

I sold my P3P and P4 while my Mavic was away and just purchased the new P4 Pro....  I still love the Mavic for small and easy to take with you aspects.  The new Phantom's camera is fantastic...  It is good to have more than one drone if you can afford it..

Rich
2017-3-30
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

charlesrmc Posted at 2017-3-30 03:14
Well.. I have been one of those complaining.. but it's only because I really love the product and I would hate to see DJI fall to the way-side in favor of more attentive competition.  I have a Phantom and a Mavic, (well THEY have the Mavic (41 days now), and they are excellent products.  If they gave warranty repairs the same priority and urgency they gave new sales (or heck, somewhere even close would work for me), 99% of these issues would go away I think.

sorry for your delay's... I really understand   

let's hope that DJI gets ahead of the supply curve and makes these delays a thing of the past.

Rich
2017-3-30
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-3-30 07:56
sorry for your delay's... I really understand   

let's hope that DJI gets ahead of the supply curve and makes these delays a thing of the past.

Hey Rich tried PMing you but it didn't work for some reason. But reading good positive stories like your is great. I didn't mean to bring the party down with my post.

Could you PM please? I've already been blocked once for trying to get status update through a thread. I'd like to explain something or my side if you would let me.

Thanks
Ken aka jeebs-9
2017-4-5
Use props
SamBGB
lvl.1
United Kingdom

charlesrmc Posted at 2017-3-30 03:14

41 days! wow thats a crazy bad turn around time.
2017-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-5 21:03
Hey Rich tried PMing you but it didn't work for some reason. But reading good positive stories like your is great. I didn't mean to bring the party down with my post.

Could you PM please? I've already been blocked once for trying to get status update through a thread. I'd like to explain something or my side if you would let me.

Sometimes the PM system does not work or has problems.  I have sent you a quick PM

Love my Mavic and it has been working great. I just installed the last FW and it is still working fine. We are having some bad weather and was not able to test it much yet.

Thanks
Rich
2017-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SamBGB Posted at 2017-4-6 01:36
41 days! wow thats a crazy bad turn around time.

You are correct, the time away for repairs was not as good as I hoped. Like I said above, this appears to be due to supply of parts right now. DJI is having trouble keeping up with demand!
On a more positive note, my Inspire 1 was repaired under 2 weeks and is still working perfectly.

Rich
2017-4-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-28 14:06
Sounds good, and yes the P4P has an incredible camera. Enjoy, and have a great rest of the week.

Hi Ken,

The ND filters are shipping for the Mavic today...  Thanks for looking into it for me.

The camera on the P4P is better than I hoped for. Now I just need to learn how to use it!

Rich
2017-4-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-7 10:49
Hi Ken,

The ND filters are shipping for the Mavic today...  Thanks for looking into it for me.

Sounds good Rich, enjoy.
2017-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules