Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Advice please IOS or Android device for Go4 Pro
3091 19 2017-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All

I am planning on buying a Mavic Pro Combo in a few weeks time, it will be my first flying a drone, but have spent many years flying everything from R/C Heli's to 50cc Petrol fixed wing.

What's concerning me most is the issues i see folk having with the Dji Go 4 app during flight, Android seems to have more issiues than IOS, now my phone is due an upgrade shortly (Samsung S6 ) and i was just going to go for the S7.Anyone flying using the S7 Edge or standard version?

I am now thinking maybe i should go for the IPhone 7 plus or even a Ipad mini (which version?)  lot more cost, but happy if it improves the experiance and less chance of issues.

Any advice appreciated

Ps I'm in the Uk by the way
2017-3-28
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

iPad mini 4 seems like your best bet, large screen (if you can get the cellular version with GPS (you do not need to activate the cellular),) fits in the controller and is relatively bright.  An apple phone would be your second best option.  I am an android gut with a Nvida shield but it is giving me a headache now.
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-28
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
United Kingdom

bunny too Posted at 2017-3-28 11:21
iPad mini 4 seems like your best bet, large screen (if you can get the cellular version with GPS (you do not need to activate the cellular),) fits in the controller and is relatively bright.  An apple phone would be your second best option.  I am an android gut with a Nvida shield but it is giving me a headache now.
Regards,
-d.

Thanks for the advice Bunny Too

2017-3-28
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

If you want smaller then the iPad mini you can go with either iPhone 6, 6s or 7. If you want bigger id go with the iPad mini 4.
2017-3-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a iPhone 7 Plus and an iPad Mine 3 that I use with the Mavic and I equally use them both.
If you get the FlyMore Combo, the mini will fit in the front zipper of the bag. You cannot zip it up but the cover will fold over and locks closed with the velcro.
2017-3-28
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Looks like i'll go for the Ipad Mini 3 then as i would prefer the bigger screen

Thanks for all the great info guys
2017-3-28
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2180843 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-28 11:47
I have a iPhone 7 Plus and an iPad Mine 3 that I use with the Mavic and I equally use them both.
If you get the FlyMore Combo, the mini will fit in the front zipper of the bag. You cannot zip it up but the cover will fold over and locks closed with the velcro.

Hi Ken,

If I were to go with a mini 3 or 4, do I need Wi-Fi + cellular or will a Wi-Fi model do the job?

Thanks
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RAMJET-1 Posted at 2017-3-29 10:10
Hi Ken,

If I were to go with a mini 3 or 4, do I need Wi-Fi + cellular or will a Wi-Fi model do the job?

WiFi is fine, you just cannot use Follow Me or reset the home point to your location. Not a big deal unless you must have follow me, but you can use Active Track instead.
And you can use your phone to load maps when you get to your flight area.
And if your moving (in a boat or car) you can keep resetting the home point to the aircraft.
So whichever you choose will work. My Mini 3 is WiFi only and I have no issues at all.
2017-3-29
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

RAMJET-1 Posted at 2017-3-29 10:10
Hi Ken,

Id say it really depends on what you want to spend as if you get it with cellular you need to factor in a monthly bill. if not WiFi works fine.

If you do want the additional features you can always use your phone for the certain times you want it.
2017-3-29
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

iPad Mini 4 everytime.
2017-3-29
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-29 10:17
WiFi is fine, you just cannot use Follow Me or reset the home point to your location. Not a big deal unless you must have follow me, but you can use Active Track instead.
And you can use your phone to load maps when you get to your flight area.
And if your moving (in a boat or car) you can keep resetting the home point to the aircraft.

One more question Ken. Is it true that I must have cellular data or Wi-Fi connection to have hybrid or satellite maps while in flight? Is it possible to download (cache) maps to the smart device and use them when cellular/Wi-Fi isn't available?

Regards
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RAMJET-1 Posted at 2017-3-30 06:10
One more question Ken. Is it true that I must have cellular data or Wi-Fi connection to have hybrid or satellite maps while in flight? Is it possible to download (cache) maps to the smart device and use them when cellular/Wi-Fi isn't available?

Regards

Yes for maps you need WiFi, but you can cache the maps from home or just use your phone as a hot spot when you get to your flight area as I said earlier.
2017-3-30
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-30 06:23
Yes for maps you need WiFi, but you can cache the maps from home or just use your phone as a hot spot when you get to your flight area as I said earlier.

Ok... Thanks
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

No problem, have a great rest of the week.
2017-3-30
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-30 06:31
No problem, have a great rest of the week.

Thanks Ken. Have a good one.
2017-3-30
Use props
Flyboyz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142615 ft
Singapore

i will choose IOS over android anytime.
2017-3-30
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
United States

Thanks FlyboyZ

It does seem that there are far less issues with IOS, I just wanted to make sure i get the ideal set up from the get go... nothing worse than finding after buying the Mavic that i end up having to buy  more stuff later on.

I have decided to go for the Ipad Mini 4, does anyone know if the Mavic Pro Combo come with the leads required to connect an IPad Mini 4, or do you guys just buy them seperatly?

Thanks
2017-4-3
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

Car147 Posted at 2017-4-3 05:25
Thanks FlyboyZ

It does seem that there are far less issues with IOS, I just wanted to make sure i get the ideal set up from the get go... nothing worse than finding after buying the Mavic that i end up having to buy  more stuff later on.

You can use the lightning cable that comes in the box with the iPad.
2017-4-3
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks Fallsilent

2017-4-3
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

I have always been an android user myself, but there seems to be features available on iOS that are not on android, and although I have always said that I will never own an apple product I am currently debating wheter or not to ditch my Galaxy S5 for an iphone 6.....just because I want all the features of DJI Go 4
2017-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules