RTH Question
583 7 2017-3-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KJIsaacson
lvl.1
United States

I'm expecting delievery of my Mavic Pro tomorrow, and have been reading up on the features ahead of time. I have a question about RTH.

If I launch in an area that has some tree coverage, and I therefore navigate my way out, how will the drone behave when it returns home. In otherwords, if there tree above the launch spot, will the drone return to the spot but hover above the trees until I navigate it in? Will it see the trees and navigate itself in?

Curious. And anxious to get started.

Many thanks.

2017-3-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Object avoidance only works on horizontal flight paths -- the Mavic does have downward-facing cameras and sensors, but I wouldn't trust it to detect obstacles and hover in place in all scenarios. Make sure you spend some time reading the RTH Safety Notices in the manual, which states: The aircraft cannot avoid obstacles above, beside, or behind the aircraft.

There are also important caveats about behavior when the Mavic is close to the home point that often suprise people.

Have fun!

2017-3-28
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

In other words, if your home point is under the trees, it will come home and come straight down and land/crash into the tree top. Best to have home point in a clearing
2017-3-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are 3 different failsafe RTH, You will read them in the manual, just set the one that suits the conditions you are flying in, be careful flying in the trees gps is not always great and gps can get blocked out,

Good luck with your new Mavic.
2017-3-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Singapore

Yeah, if you're launching from underneath something, or even in a tight space, an RTH landing is probably not going to end well.

If your question is mainly about manually initiating RTH, you could do that and allow the Mavic to get close, but then cancel the RTH and finish the landing manually (and hope the RC doesn't happen to lose signal before you're able to cancel the RTH).

If you're more concerned about a failsafe RTH (eg. RC signal loss), then your best option depends on the nature of your flight. For example, you could set the failsafe option to "Hover" instead of RTH, but if you're planning to fly very far away, and/or over difficult terrain, there's a small chance your Mavic will be left hovering and you're not able to regain the signal because you can't get closer to it. Alternatively, you could leave the failsafe set to RTH, and hope that you're able to regain control before the landing sequence starts, so that you can bring it in manually.
2017-3-28
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

If I were you I would do like this:

- double-check your RTH height to have it more than the tops of the trees,

- take off in a clearing with good distance away from the trees,

- fly into the wooded area and film whatever you need to film there,

- fly back out and finished.

You can always reverse the video in post production to have the sequence reversed if you so wish ;-) Anyhow - you will always need to produce your video afterwards. Filming and then just uploading the video doesn't work - without proper cuts and good choice of scenes it will simply not look good.
2017-3-29
Use props
KJIsaacson
lvl.1
United States

Thanks to all of you for your responses! Very helpful.
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

KJIsaacson Posted at 2017-3-29 08:25
Thanks to all of you for your responses! Very helpful.

RTH should be a part of your every flight checklist.
Set the RTH to your flight environment
Try to find a clearing then take off and if you fly under something then set the RTH to hover..
2017-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules