Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Sand in motors?
12Next >
14668 41 2017-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Okay so crashed into some sand, leaving a bunch of sand in the motors. I opened up the drone, 3 of my 4 motors grind due to debris lodged in the motor. I have not used compressed air yet as I dont have any on hand and was going to take the motors apart and clean with rubbing alcohol. Apparently the motors do not come apart as regular brushless motors would as I could not get them to pull apart after removing the C clip on the bottom of the motors. Is the only way to fix this with compressed air?
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, canned air would probably be best. Unless you want to give them a good bath in 99% isopropanol. ;-)

Then hit them with the compressed air.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Without further dismantling the aircraft, canned air would be the best course of action.
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 16:58
Without further dismantling the aircraft, canned air would be the best course of action.

It might also be advantageous to have a vacuum nozzle in close proximity...

RedHotPoker
2017-3-29
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

If you place each motor on an anvil and hit them with a large lump hammer until they are flat they will never make any grinding noises again.*

*Another piece of poor advice that while factually correct it is not reccommended to follow.
2017-3-29
Use props
mic75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-29 17:57
If you place each motor on an anvil and hit them with a large lump hammer until they are flat they will never make any grinding noises again.*

But then you couldn't use them as pepper grinders.  
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Regardless, You can still use the drone as a cooling fan, in the heat of the night, this summer... ;-)

I love how some of us, can still have our sense of humor intact.  
Until we are the victim, or the one, with problematic situations. Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-3-29
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
United States

Blew it out with air then stuck them in a vacuum hose, cleared out all the sand, except in one motor it feels like it catches on something as it spins around. I know it's not sand since It was all blown out and doesn't make a grinding noise, but It kind of catches in the same area every time I hand spin it around.
2017-3-30
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-29 21:32
Regardless, You can still use the drone as a cooling fan, in the heat of the night, this summer... ;-)

Hahahahaha....Yep.
2017-3-30
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-3-30 15:06
Blew it out with air then stuck them in a vacuum hose, cleared out all the sand, except in one motor it feels like it catches on something as it spins around. I know it's not sand since It was all blown out and doesn't make a grinding noise, but It kind of catches in the same area every time I hand spin it around.

MrPinaColada (wish I had one now...)
I think it would be best if you replace those motors.  Sucks but it maybe the best course of action.  Sorry that you have 4 pepper grinders.
2017-3-30
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
United States

Looks like I'm gonna replace them unfortunately, on a separate topic, upon putting the phantom back together when I start up the phantom the gimbal tilts up and down constantly and nothing will stop it. Any insight on this? All the cables are correctly placed and it has done this before, I just restart the drone and it goes away but now it wont stop tilting up and down.
2017-3-30
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-29 21:32

lol I actually did that at the beach last weekend. People were laughing but I didn't care.
2017-3-30
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-30 15:44
MrPinaColada (wish I had one now...)
I think it would be best if you replace those motors.  Sucks but it maybe the best course of action.  Sorry that you have 4 pepper grinders.

I think they are relatively cheap $18 a motor. But you better have some skills disassembling tech things and a soldering iron.
2017-3-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-3-30 15:52
Looks like I'm gonna replace them unfortunately, on a separate topic, upon putting the phantom back together when I start up the phantom the gimbal tilts up and down constantly and nothing will stop it. Any insight on this? All the cables are correctly placed and it has done this before, I just restart the drone and it goes away but now it wont stop tilting up and down.

Sucks to play drone surgeon. I hope everything goes ok.

For the gimbal, have you tried doing an IMU and gimbal calibration?

RedHotPoker
2017-3-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-3-30 15:06

Sounds like you have three motors cleared and back to normal. Between the aerosol and the Hoover, you cleared the debris.
That fourth motor that's not spinning free, I wonder if it's a magnet that got dislodged?

RedHotPoker.
2017-3-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-29 17:57

@Cabansail, Man you have a different approach to RC repair eh? Haha

What's dumber than a sack of Hammers?

An Anvil.

I actually collect Hammers, and find them fascinating. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-30 15:53
lol I actually did that at the beach last weekend. People were laughing but I didn't care.

Did you actually lift off, & hover the aircraft above your head? ;-)

I might have laughed my azz off too. Haha

Eh, a guys gotta do, what ever makes him feel good. Even at the beach. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-3-30
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-30 23:34
Did you actually lift off, & hover the aircraft above your head? ;-)

Yes and I was holding my arms out to my side lol
2017-3-31
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-29 13:47
Yes, canned air would probably be best. Unless you want to give them a good bath in 99% isopropanol. ;-)

Then hit them with the compressed air.

Unless you want to give them a good bath in 99% isopropanol

Never use isopropanol it will eat away at the motors coil windings --- they are lightly enamel coated to
prevent shorting out against each other.
2017-3-31
Use props
Quamera
lvl.3
Australia

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-31 03:44

So if you did want to flush a liquid through the motors to clean out some rubbish what would be the best too use.
2017-3-31
Use props
mic75
Second Officer
Australia

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-31 03:53
So if you did want to flush a liquid through the motors to clean out some rubbish what would be the best too use.

This stuff will do the job nicely, will clean and flush away debris with the spray pressure. Type Contact Cleaner into google to find something local.
crccc.jpg
2017-3-31
Use props
Quamera
lvl.3
Australia

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-31 04:19
This stuff will do the job nicely, will clean and flush away debris with the spray pressure. Type Contact Cleaner into google to find something local.

Thanks, that would obviously be formulated to be safe for all types of wire coatings and circuitry.
2017-3-31
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-31 03:53

Mic 75 ,
Hit the nail right on the Head
2017-3-31
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The problem is that if you have heard and felt grinding that means that fine sand has already entered the bearings. You will never get that out of there and the damage is done. The motor could bind up at any time. I would not take a chance on a crash resulting in personal harm and or property damage never mind the loss of your Phantom. I would replace the motors.
2017-3-31
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
United States

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-31 04:29
Thanks, that would obviously be formulated to be safe for all types of wire coatings and circuitry.

Quamer,

Be careful with contact cleaner an The plastic of the Mavic --- I've seen it dissinagreat  Plastic
right B4 my eyes --- Spray a little on a test spot first, if all is OK --- Spray away

{:4_181:}  
2017-3-31
Use props
mic75
Second Officer
Australia

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-3-31 04:37
The problem is that if you have heard and felt grinding that means that fine sand has already entered the bearings. You will never get that out of there and the damage is done. The motor could bind up at any time. I would not take a chance on a crash resulting in personal harm and or property damage never mind the loss of your Phantom. I would replace the motors.

The bearings are sealed so no grit can get in them.
2017-3-31
Use props
mic75
Second Officer
Australia

You might need to take them apart to completely clean them, It could be some grit still stuck to the magnets or it could just be a wire sticking out from the armature. The centre shaft needs to be pressed out after you remove  the circlip.
2017-3-31
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
United States

I cleaned them with compressed air and they don't make any more grinding sounds or have any resistance or feeling in them besides a smooth turn when I push the motors around. First test flight is tomorrow so hopefully it goes alright.
2017-3-31
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-31 17:43
The bearings are sealed so no grit can get in them.

What is grinding then? My point is that you said you can feel binding and the outer collar is not turning smoothly. It may not be the sealed bearing that the shaft is riding in but, there are bearing walls where the debris has settled. You can have varying speeds of the props, ever so slightly but enough to have an effect on stable flight. Also most likely there will be a decrease in flight time due to the binding because of more current drain. to overcome the resistance. Up to you as to what you want to do. You asked for opiniions and that is my 2 cents worth.
2017-4-1
Use props
mic75
Second Officer
Australia

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-4-1 03:03
What is grinding then? My point is that you said you can feel binding and the outer collar is not turning smoothly. It may not be the sealed bearing that the shaft is riding in but, there are bearing walls where the debris has settled. You can have varying speeds of the props, ever so slightly but enough to have an effect on stable flight. Also most likely there will be a decrease in flight time due to the binding because of more current drain. to overcome the resistance. Up to you as to what you want to do. You asked for opiniions and that is my 2 cents worth.

The bearing walls (seals) don't turn, only the inner race that the shaft goes through. The grinding is from fine particles of rock stuck to the magnets getting ground between the armature and outer housing when turning the motor. If these particles are removed then there will be no additional resistance to slow the motors as you put it.
How do I know this because I had the same problem about 180 flights ago.
Any particles fine enough to get past the bearing seals would be insignificant, in all reality what didn't get stuck to the magnets would be blown out by the airflow from the props which is designed to cool the motors.
2017-4-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-31 03:44

Eh, yeah, you are correct. That was a minor lapse in judgement here.  I just thought, since it would evaporate rather quickly.

But you're right, as it being a solvent. Thanks for the reminder... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-31 03:38
Yes and I was holding my arms out to my side lol

Did you make a video, or take any selfies? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-4-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-31 04:19

Yes, that's a great idea, something I myself must purchase.
I need to buy a can of that, for an old Marantz  2325 stereo receiver.

It's marvelous that we all have so many advantages to our lives today.

I hope this approach works well for the OP. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MrPinaColada Posted at 2017-3-31 22:23
I cleaned them with compressed air and they don't make any more grinding sounds or have any resistance or feeling in them besides a smooth turn when I push the motors around. First test flight is tomorrow so hopefully it goes alright.

Looking forward to hearing what your findings were, with the cleaned motors-maiden voyage... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

mic75 Posted at 2017-4-2 06:06
The bearing walls (seals) don't turn, only the inner race that the shaft goes through. The grinding is from fine particles of rock stuck to the magnets getting ground between the armature and outer housing when turning the motor. If these particles are removed then there will be no additional resistance to slow the motors as you put it.
How do I know this because I had the same problem about 180 flights ago.
Any particles fine enough to get past the bearing seals would be insignificant, in all reality what didn't get stuck to the magnets would be blown out by the airflow from the props which is designed to cool the motors.

I would echo what mic75 says, there is almost zero chance of grit getting into the bearings. If you clean out the sand, the motor should be fine.
2017-4-2
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-2 13:34
Did you make a video, or take any selfies? Hahaha

I didn't save that part of the video, but it did take me a minute to figure out why it was hovering so close to the ground and filming a rather large man in the distance..
2017-4-2
Use props
mic75
Second Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-2 13:40
Yes, that's a great idea, something I myself must purchase.
I need to buy a can of that, for an old Marantz  2325 stereo receiver.

I have a nitro powered r/c truggy that I sometimes use it on when compressed air just won't do it and it feels really wrong to be wetting the electrics but man does it do a good job. It even cleans the motor really well. It's good sh1t but not cheap so I try not to get to carried away and mostly use air.
losi8ightt2rtr-1.jpg
2017-4-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-2 14:23
I didn't save that part of the video, but it did take me a minute to figure out why it was hovering so close to the ground and filming a rather large man in the distance..

Well, too bad. That would have been your money shot. Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

mic75 Posted at 2017-4-2 15:12
I have a nitro powered r/c truggy that I sometimes use it on when compressed air just won't do it and it feels really wrong to be wetting the electrics but man does it do a good job. It even cleans the motor really well. It's good sh1t but not cheap so I try not to get to carried away and mostly use air.

Yes, I have a monster '69 Charger RT with big block. If can get pretty dirty, when I take it out to the fields.
So I have several places that contact cleaner could be well used...
Eh, it looks like we have the exact same surface RC. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-4-4
Use props
mic75
Second Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-4-4 10:39
Yes, I have a monster '69 Charger RT with big block. If can get pretty dirty, when I take it out to the fields.
So I have several places that contact cleaner could be well used...
Eh, it looks like we have the exact same surface RC. ;-)

Yes I like the sprektrum gear. Mine came with the ride.
2017-4-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules