P4P sporadic "jerk" while mapping using DGI GS
899 6 2017-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brian Liem
lvl.2
Flight distance : 882113 ft
United States

Hello all, I mapped a field today using DJI GS and the Phantom 4 Pro. I began the mission and it started normally, P4P flew to starting position and began taking images. As it neared the end of the first leg it started to jerk upward a few times, almost like it would if you used the "hover and capture at point' setting where it starts and stops quickly. However the mission was planned with "Capture at equal distance interval". I allowed the mission to continue and it flew the second leg fine, turned and started the third leg and repeated the jerk motion upward once or twice and then flew the rest of the leg normally. It happened during the rest of the mission briefly and intermidently, yet flew smooth for the majority of it. I have updated to the latest firmware, calibrated compass, and IMU prior to this happening.

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
2017-3-29
Use props
JBinFla
lvl.2
United States

Sorry I don't know the answer.  BUT - can I ask you a question (or two)?  What ground station are you using?  The PC version?  I would love to use that one but I didn't know it worked with the P4 lines of drones (I have a P4, not a P4P).  Can you confirm the laptop GS works with the P4?  If so, where did you get it and roughly what's the price if you don't mind.  I'd love to put this on my laptop and make it a part of my field gear, and since I'm in to photogrammetry this is really something I'm interested in.  Thanks for any tips.

- JB
2017-3-29
Use props
Brian Liem
lvl.2
United States

JBinFla Posted at 2017-3-29 16:03
Sorry I don't know the answer.  BUT - can I ask you a question (or two)?  What ground station are you using?  The PC version?  I would love to use that one but I didn't know it worked with the P4 lines of drones (I have a P4, not a P4P).  Can you confirm the laptop GS works with the P4?  If so, where did you get it and roughly what's the price if you don't mind.  I'd love to put this on my laptop and make it a part of my field gear, and since I'm in to photogrammetry this is really something I'm interested in.  Thanks for any tips.

- JB

Hello JB, We have DJI GS Pro downloaded on the Ipad air2. We have flown multiple 3d mapping missions with it using the P4 and P4P with good results. Honestly I did test the virtual fence and the waypoint options only once, but they performed as expected.
2017-3-30
Use props
JBinFla
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Brian, I didn't know there was a GS Pro app!  I'm trying to wet my feet in aerial surveying and I feel much better trusting DJI's software than a third parties.
2017-3-30
Use props
AnOther Steve 8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 337697 ft
Philippines

Hi Brian

I don't have a solution, but just to let you know, I had the same problem today. I was repeating a mission I had flown previously using P4 with GS Pro app on iPad Mini. I was capturing at equal time intervals. The 1st time I flew the mission a few days earlier, it was smooth. I copied the old mission and flew it again today. I know the parameters on each mission were exactly the same. It was jerky but in one direction only. The rotors kept changing speed as if it was struggling to maintain lift. I am a newbie and was concerned enough to abort, change battery and try again. Same result.

The only differences I can think about the two missions is that the 1st day was dead calm and the 2nd day was a little breezy. At 40m altitude, maybe the breeze was greater than at ground level? The jerky leg seemed to be when the drone was flying into the breeze. The other difference is that I had changed the camera exposure/shutter settings to manual on the 2nd day. It was dusk so the changing light may have been a factor somehow?

Stephen
2017-4-1
Use props
Brian Liem
lvl.2
United States

AnOther Steve 8 Posted at 2017-4-1 21:26
Hi Brian

I don't have a solution, but just to let you know, I had the same problem today. I was repeating a mission I had flown previously using P4 with GS Pro app on iPad Mini. I was capturing at equal time intervals. The 1st time I flew the mission a few days earlier, it was smooth. I copied the old mission and flew it again today. I know the parameters on each mission were exactly the same. It was jerky but in one direction only. The rotors kept changing speed as if it was struggling to maintain lift. I am a newbie and was concerned enough to abort, change battery and try again. Same result.

Hello Stephen, you may be on to something with the wind. Your observation that the jerking was only flying into the wind it very well could be the Phantom having trouble adjusting the right angle to match the wind speed. My gut is telling me if the sensitivity is turned down a bit it may rectify the situation, more testing and research is needed.
2017-4-5
Use props
AnOther Steve 8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 337697 ft
Philippines

Brian Liem Posted at 2017-4-5 13:13
Hello Stephen, you may be on to something with the wind. Your observation that the jerking was only flying into the wind it very well could be the Phantom having trouble adjusting the right angle to match the wind speed. My gut is telling me if the sensitivity is turned down a bit it may rectify the situation, more testing and research is needed.

Hi Brian

I think you are correct about the wind affecting the flight of the drone. I flew the same area since the affected flight but this time no wind and the flight was smooth. I use the drone for mapping topography so it's important to get the camera to shoot at regular intervals. Even when the drone struggles in the wind, the software seems to sort everything out and the photo positions looked evenly spaced when I processed them. I guess I am not too concerned about my experience as it doesn't affect the result.

Thanks for sharing. It helps to know other peoples' experience when trying to work out a fault.

Stephen
2017-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules