Malaysia

Can it be trusted?
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Are you requesting info about the Litchi app?

RedHotPoker
2017-3-29
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Not sure I would trust it.

2017-3-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you Are referring to Litchi, yes. It does some things better than the DJI GO app, but you'll still need the GO app for being able to configure every option of the Phantom (although most are still covered by Litchi).
2017-3-29
Use props
Soundwave.ghz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39370 ft

Malaysia

Yup litchy
2017-3-29
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

OK, then I refer you to post #4. Need to know anything else?
2017-3-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes,  "Litchi". It has some features which make it quite compelling...

RedHotPoker
2017-3-29
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-29 21:00
OK, then I refer you to post #4. Need to know anything else?

Is DJI Care Refresh still valid if I crash my P4P while using Litchi?
2017-3-30
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Can you change the title into "Litchi app" please?
That way more people will find it and maybe join the discussion.
2017-3-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

stalker Posted at 2017-3-30 00:13
Can you change the title into "Litchi app" please?
That way more people will find it and maybe join the discussion.

I would have thought the OP would have done that already? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

stalker Posted at 2017-3-30 00:10

All app developers use an official Software Development Kit (SDK) built by DJI for such a purpose. DJI's business is in the hardware, not the software. Use of Litchi, Autopilot etc will not void warranty. In the case of a crash, DJI will interrogate the flight details to determine whether it was a hardware failure or user fault. The software is incidental.
2017-3-30
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-30 00:56
All app developers use an official Software Development Kit (SDK) built by DJI for such a purpose. DJI's business is in the hardware, not the software. Use of Litchi, Autopilot etc will not void warranty. In the case of a crash, DJI will interrogate the flight details to determine whether it was a hardware failure or user fault. The software is incidental.

Oh I don't know! Leech app sounds compelling enough to bring me here. I was hoping it would be a new app to suck all the upgrade problems out of the system.
2017-3-30
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-3-30 01:25
Oh I don't know! Leech app sounds compelling enough to bring me here. I was hoping it would be a new app to suck all the upgrade problems out of the system.

The same thing happened to me
2017-3-30
Use props
method007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

stalker Posted at 2017-3-30 00:10

DJI has been quite clear you must use DJI Go if you plan on pursuing your warranty regarding things like fly-aways
2017-3-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-3-30 07:01
DJI has been quite clear you must use DJI Go if you plan on pursuing your warranty regarding things like fly-aways

Have they been clear on when use of the DJI Go app would NOT be necessary to take advantage of a warranty? I ask because DJI has also said use of other apps does not automatically void a warranty when issues occur.
2017-3-30
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

It's a good one.  But then,  I'm a big fan of lots of things that suck.
2017-3-30
Use props
method007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-3-30 08:40
Have they been clear on when use of the DJI Go app would NOT be necessary to take advantage of a warranty? I ask because DJI has also said use of other apps does not automatically void a warranty when issues occur.

I've seen DJI-Ken say that using Litchi in the case of a fly-away would be detrimental.  I assume that DJI GO keeps some level of flight log that Litchi does not.  I couldn't imagine it would matter in any situation where the craft is recoverable.  Not 100% certain though.
2017-3-30
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-3-30 09:58
I've seen DJI-Ken say that using Litchi in the case of a fly-away would be detrimental.  I assume that DJI GO keeps some level of flight log that Litchi does not.  I couldn't imagine it would matter in any situation where the craft is recoverable.  Not 100% certain though.

Both apps keep flight logs. I'm sure DJI isn't going to encourage the use of 3rd party apps. Of course they want you to use their stuff. Who wouldn't. I guess it would be up to them to make theat call if your drone was crashed and you were not using their app, but the app really doesn't become the issue of if something were to happen. If the operator makes a mistake, it doesn't matter what app he is using. same goes for a failure with a component of the phantom, the app is not going to make it behave differently. DJI is sitting in the driver's seat here, but they have that right since they are doing the warranty work.
2017-3-30
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-3-30 09:58

Ah. That makes sense. So, it may be an issue of how much data is recoverable from a third party app.
2017-3-30
Use props
method007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-3-30 11:05
Ah. That makes sense. So, it may be an issue of how much data is recoverable from a third party app.

Yes that's what I am assuming
2017-3-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

method007 Posted at 2017-3-30 07:01

I have not seen that stated anywhere! But I have seen stated that they will honour hardware-related issues, regardless of software.
2017-3-30
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-3-30 10:11
Both apps keep flight logs. I'm sure DJI isn't going to encourage the use of 3rd party apps. Of course they want you to use their stuff. Who wouldn't. I guess it would be up to them to make theat call if your drone was crashed and you were not using their app, but the app really doesn't become the issue of if something were to happen. If the operator makes a mistake, it doesn't matter what app he is using. same goes for a failure with a component of the phantom, the app is not going to make it behave differently. DJI is sitting in the driver's seat here, but they have that right since they are doing the warranty work.

Ricardo, if DJI weren't going to encourage use of 3rd party apps they wouldn't be maintaining an SDK for developer use. DJI is a hardware manufacturer, and the more apps available to entice consumers to their product, the more craft they sell. It's business-logic.
But, youre right. DJI wouldn't reasonably reject a claim if they can still determine that it was due to hardware fault. And Litchi does maintain quite detailed logs.
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Warranty would not be voided for using Litchi itself, but it causes a gray area that's handled on a case by case basis. In general, f the aircraft is damaged but retrievable, then they'll review the flight data from that aircraft itself. If the unit is not retrievable, then it would be difficult to review the records from the app, as DJI does not have access to their servers to evaluate the records. Exporting them cannot completely validate their authenticity since they get exported to .CSV files that can be altered.
2017-3-30
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-30 12:29
Ricardo, if DJI weren't going to encourage use of 3rd party apps they wouldn't be maintaining an SDK for developer use. DJI is a hardware manufacturer, and the more apps available to entice consumers to their product, the more craft they sell. It's business-logic.
But, youre right. DJI wouldn't reasonably reject a claim if they can still determine that it was due to hardware fault. And Litchi does maintain quite detailed logs.

Ok, I guess I never thought of it like that. My comment was more of my opinion than fact. It does make sense to me now that the more apps available, the more interest there would be.
Thanks for your comments.
2017-3-31
Use props
method007
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-30 12:25
I have not seen that stated anywhere! But I have seen stated that they will honour hardware-related issues, regardless of software.

I would recommend reading DJI-Jamie's post then, #23.
2017-3-31
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

method007 Posted at 2017-3-31 09:12
I would recommend reading DJI-Jamie's post then, #23.

Which agrees with me - so long as you have the craft so they can interrogate it.
2017-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules