Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery Charging Hub
869 13 2017-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all,
I did something that was rather curious the other day and has led me to beleive that I can charge these P4P batterys faster.  I have a total of 6 P4P batterys and the other day after I flew and brought the batterys down to about 20% I put all 6 of them on the 2 charging hubs that I have and put the hubs into storage mode.  on both of these hubs, the LED indicator lights came on in blue and all the batterys were "charging" up to the storage capacity that is pre-set by DJI.  

Now the curious thing was that all 6 batterys (3 on each hub) were "charging" at the same time VS one at a time if I were to put it in charging mode.  This was rather fast and I decided to then, after all were brought up to the storage capacity, charge the batterys, therefore saving overall time to charge multible batterys.

So now the questions are:
1.  Does this harm the batterys in any way?
2.  Does this reduce the life of the batterys?
3.  Will this affect flight times, battery outputs, etc.?
4.  Can this be done only once in a while or all the time?
5.  Will any damage be caused to the battery's if I don't charge fully?  (After hub "charges" the battery to the storage capacity then flown w/o fully charging first)
2017-3-30
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

What was the charge level for each battery BEFORE you started the process?  The storage mode brings the batteries connected to the hub at 50% wether they are at more or less than that to start with... Also, I personally would never fly on a battery starting at 50%...
2017-3-31
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-3-31 03:12
What was the charge level for each battery BEFORE you started the process?  The storage mode brings the batteries connected to the hub at 50% wether they are at more or less than that to start with... Also, I personally would never fly on a battery starting at 50%...

They started out at about 20% (because I flew with them).  I also agree with you, I too, to not fly unless they are 100% charged.  I think it puts too much unnecessary strain on the battery's...and its just not a smart idea.
2017-3-31
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

what you need to do is start 1 battery off in storage at 20% and time how long to takes to get to 50% then remove that battery, put the other 2 batteries in the charger on storage mode again and time how long 2 batteries toke to get to 50%
I have a feeling that when in storage mode it will charge the batteries on light trickle charging which it can do and not overload the transformer, but in charging mode it can only charge one battery at a time
2017-3-31
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2017-3-31 05:40
what you need to do is start 1 battery off in storage at 20% and time how long to takes to get to 50% then remove that battery, put the other 2 batteries in the charger on storage mode again and time how long 2 batteries toke to get to 50%
I have a feeling that when in storage mode it will charge the batteries on light trickle charging which it can do and not overload the transformer, but in charging mode it can only charge one battery at a time

Snowwolfwarrior...Interesting, and I will have to try this test
2017-3-31
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Denmark

Yes, this is what I think too, for an explanation why it did it with all the batteries at the same time.
2017-3-31
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snowwolfwarrior,
Here are my test results.  All times are approximate.  
To go from 20% to 50% "storage"  =  14 min. X 1 battery
To go from 20% to 50% "storage"  =  15 min. X 2 batterys

To go from 50% "storage" to full charge  =  50 (additional) min X 1 battery
To go from 50% "storage" to full charge  =   90 (additional) min X 2 battery

To go from 20% to full charge  =  66 min. X 1 battery
To go from 20% to full charge  =  132 min. X 2 battery's

Soooo...Guess it does not matter if I am doing my math correctly, that it is about the same amount of time  for 1 battery to charge in the "storage" mode then put into fully charged mode VS just charging it fully.

Looks like my theory was incorrect.  You can not "charge" the battery first by putting the hub into "storage" mode then charge to full capacity in less time the just charging to full capacity.
2017-4-10
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-3-31 07:47
Yes, this is what I think too, for an explanation why it did it with all the batteries at the same time.

Antonio76, please see my test results
2017-4-10
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The storage charge brings the batteries up to 50% It is a nice slow charge that isn't drawing a ton of current.
2017-4-10
Use props
Antonio76
Captain
Denmark

ProQuad Posted at 2017-4-10 15:18
Antonio76, please see my test results

ProQuad, thanks for experimenting and sharing the results. I am not an expert at all, but this seems to confirm my initial thought and Snowolfwarrior's... When in storage mode the charger seems to deliver less power, but to all the batteries at the same time, while in charge mode it delivers more power but to one battery at a time (it is supposed to deliver just about 30% of each battery's capacity -from 20% to 50%-, isn't it?) . I suppose this could be tested by putting an Ammeter between the wall outlet and the charger, right? And it should show less current flowing in storage mode with 1 battery, a little more with 2 batteries, and even more in charge mode, which would be nearly the same wether 1 or 2 or 3 batteries, since they would charge one at a time... Unfortunately I don't have an Ammeter :-(  
2017-4-11
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-4-11 01:05
ProQuad, thanks for experimenting and sharing the results. I am not an expert at all, but this seems to confirm my initial thought and Snowolfwarrior's... When in storage mode the charger seems to deliver less power, but to all the batteries at the same time, while in charge mode it delivers more power but to one battery at a time (it is supposed to deliver just about 30% of each battery's capacity -from 20% to 50%-, isn't it?) . I suppose this could be tested by putting an Ammeter between the wall outlet and the charger, right? And it should show less current flowing in storage mode with 1 battery, a little more with 2 batteries, and even more in charge mode, which would be nearly the same wether 1 or 2 or 3 batteries, since they would charge one at a time... Unfortunately I don't have an Ammeter :-(

Antonio76...neither do I and this is about as far as I think I want to go with my theory.  
2017-4-11
Use props
JVRDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6909 ft
United States

I know this is an older post and this is slightly off topic but once the batteries get to the 50% charge in storage mode, can you leave the batteries on the charging hub or do you need to take them off once they hit the 50% mark?  I would like to leave them on the charging hub in storage mode until I need to use them but don't want to damage the batteries.
2018-8-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

JVRDrone Posted at 2018-8-29 12:15
I know this is an older post and this is slightly off topic but once the batteries get to the 50% charge in storage mode, can you leave the batteries on the charging hub or do you need to take them off once they hit the 50% mark?  I would like to leave them on the charging hub in storage mode until I need to use them but don't want to damage the batteries.

Why leave them on the charger?

I would not.

But when the price drops...
B8484928-61CC-4ACA-8BA7-293841743AD4.jpeg
https://smartpowercharge.com/proddetail.php?prod=SPCP3

This is what I want.

Not for $389.95.

RedHotPoker
2018-8-29
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Screenshot_20180830-073309.png
I bought one of these it works brilliantly and charges 3 batteries plus the controller simultaneously.
2018-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules