Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
POLL: Mavic does it live up to the hype?
2740 29 2017-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jake Phantom 3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I'm sure most of us, me included think the Mavic was worth the wait. I'm impressed, and very happy with it. I believe it has lived up to all the hype and then some.
Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 2 entry optional ), Total 189 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

50.00% (102)
26.47% (54)
15.20% (31)
2.45% (5)
5.88% (12)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-3-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you happen to get one with no issues then yes, the mavic is very futuristic
2017-3-30
Use props
kaeyalin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153665 ft
United States

In terms of advertised features, I think it lives up to how it was advertised.

but, there have been some well documented QC issues that take some of the luster off.

DJI has done an incredible job of innovating in a new market.  I hope they put some effort into QC and Customer Service, now that they've established themselves as such a dominant name in the UAS market.
2017-3-30
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

I love my Mavic, I think the launch of the GoPro drone affected the R/D (Testing) of the Mavic as I think it was rushed (which caused shipping delays and maybe some minor QC issues). But other than that GREAT!
2017-3-30
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Every product has issues if it's sold by the tens of thousands . Just check any automotive forum , cell phone , gaming platform , you name it . Forums are for bitching and getting others to help . The Mavics huge success is a testament to it living up to the hype .
2017-3-30
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-3-30 12:29
Every product has issues if it's sold by the tens of thousands . Just check any automotive forum , cell phone , gaming platform , you name it . Forums are for bitching and getting others to help . The Mavics huge success is a testament to it living up to the hype .

Completely agreed, as most happy customers are out flying!
2017-3-30
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

The Mavic was a total game changer for me. I do most of my flying in remote areas and the Mavic was the first DJI drone that I could realistically carry in my pack for hours.  I was just blown away by all the advanced features.
2017-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A delight to fly, great camera am I just lucky no problems..
2017-3-30
Use props
Beezzzzy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 280522 ft
United States

If you're a new flyer like myself, go into this level headed. Just because you've got a good camera and a nice drone doesn't mean you'll get the best shots right away. I'm learning about camera settings, filters, other types of ad ons, and  post production editing, how a drone works itself. Its very easy to fly to start off with but learning it and being patient will make it better IMO. Im still a newb but I take a chance to fly my Mavic, even if its just 20 min just so I can get better and edit whatever footage I took.
2017-3-30
Use props
rreindl
First Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Well worth it and as good as advertised and wait. I have been flying the P3A for over a year and as soon as I saw the Mavic I wanted it right away but waiting to order until March. I have been flying it now for a few weeks on the good weather days and love every second.
2017-3-30
Use props
BigKitty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 148907 ft
Mexico

my first drone and I love it! But I really would not know the difference as its my first. I am getting into more serious videography for my business and think sometimes I should of opted for the PH4 pro plus, just for the camera. But I think the Mavic will do me just fine for now...
2017-3-30
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I think the technology is brilliant for the price.
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-3-30 22:55
I think the technology is brilliant for the price.

I thought it was going to be introduced at double the price due to the form factor and the incredible technology built into it.
For $1,000 there's nothing out there on the planet that even comes close to the Mavic.
2017-3-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-3-30 12:29

I totally agree, and I'm sure it a heck of a lot more then tens of thousands.
2017-3-31
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

As a P3P and P4 owner, I have to say this thing is pretty awesome!
2017-3-31
Use props
dirkjan82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112169 ft
Netherlands

I voted that it is as good as advertised, but when thinking about it I think it's even better. Of course it offers exactly what is advertised: a compact, easy to use drone to make awesome videos and photo's. A drone that's smart enough to automatically follow you, avoid obstacles, and flies fast. But there's more to it: there are so many settings you can change to make it work just like you want to. Customizable controls, very deep and detailed photo and video settings, nearly everything about the drone itself can be adjusted to your personal taste. So many details that are not advertised, but are all there.
Think about it, I am blown away by it!
2017-3-31
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I love my mavic, it was worth the purchase. I think there are some serious flaws in the DJI Go App which can make flying it very uncomfortable.
2017-3-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

Not sure yet honestly, waiting for the GPS issue.
2017-3-31
Use props
The Rev
Captain
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

Its a bit fragile especially the Gimbal but lives up to the hype and would buy one again.
2017-4-1
Use props
fansc9738e2f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 148442 ft
United States

A very smart trade off between video and photography file quality; and incredible compact size and convenience to run around with.  While I admire the skill level of drone racers, I'm personally much more impressed with the 2-4 min videos that are flowing into YouTube, Vimeo, Mavic Pilots and DJI's website.  The Phantom and Inspire have superior technical specs and deeper features. But for use in business, " ... just enough is enough ..." !!!   The Mavic is a tour-de-force of software engineering.  
2017-4-1
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

One design issue in my opinion is the narrow clearance between the camera / gimbal and the ground due to the low profile landing pads. Obviously, the drone was designed to be compact, easy to travel with and there are price points to consider, however I thought the design could have benefited from automated retractable or telescoping landing pads and / or an actuated gimbal assembly to protect the camera upon landing.

The video I have taken seems a bit grainy although I am no expert editor or film taker.

Considering that the technology is cutting edge, I expected that it would not be perfect and I had plenty of reading in this forum and various other internet information outlets regarding issues from those in the field who ordered and received their drone before me. For example, the collision avoidance not being perfect or the follow me option having tracking issues with wash out from the sun.

But, all the features and control functions are impressive. And, I like that I can walk around with my Mavic in it's bag inconspicuously looking like it is for a camera and not a drone.{:4_181:}

Even if the GoPro Karma made it out the gate without their crash recall, the Mavic would have crushed it.
2017-4-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-4-2 02:05
One design issue in my opinion is the narrow clearance between the camera / gimbal and the ground due to the low profile landing pads. Obviously, the drone was designed to be compact, easy to travel with and there are price points to consider, however I thought the design could have benefited from automated retractable or telescoping landing gear and / or an actuated gimbal assembly to protect the camera upon landing.

The video I have taken seems a bit grainy although I am no expert editor or film taker.

Even if the GoPro Karma made it out the gate without their crash recall, the Mavic would have crushed it.

Agreed. And if you want to see real "hype", go to YouTube and watch the video of GoPro CEO Nick Woodman introducing the Karma: "Karma! Karma is so much more than a drone!!!"

He was right: it was also a bomber -- but that feature could only be used once.
2017-4-2
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-2 15:04

Agreed. And if you want to see real "hype", go to YouTube and watch the video of GoPro CEO Nick Woodman introducing the Karma: "Karma! Karma is so much more than a drone!!!"

lolollll Comparing the Karma to the Mavic LMAO
The Karma is a Balsa rubber band wined up compared to The Mavic
The Mavic is the Space Shuttle compared to the Sputnik Karma     
2017-4-2
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-2 15:14
lolollll Comparing the Karma to the Mavic LMAO
The Karma is a Balsa rubber band wined up compared to The Mavic
The Mavic is the Space Shuttle compared to the Sputnik Karma

Riiight. What Karma? Bad Karma.
2017-4-3
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-4-2 02:05
One design issue in my opinion is the narrow clearance between the camera / gimbal and the ground due to the low profile landing pads. Obviously, the drone was designed to be compact, easy to travel with and there are price points to consider, however I thought the design could have benefited from automated retractable or telescoping landing pads and / or an actuated gimbal assembly to protect the camera upon landing.

Hand catch for landing. In the 'wild', one often needs to carry a take off platform because the legs are short....
2017-4-7
Use props
Route77
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499 ft
United Kingdom

Have no regrets on my purchase. My Mavic is the first DJI Product and my 7th overall Quadcopter and it certainly outshines all the others I have ever bought.

Premium product at a premium price.

I had the cash flow and I had my eyes on three DJI products, the Phantom 4, the Phantom 3 Professional or the Mavic Pro and I went for the Mavic, purely down to it's portability. No regrets at all.
2017-4-9
Use props
djiuser_HmoVNyF
New
United States

Everyone here seems totally happy with their Mavic.  So I guess none here have experienced the problem where it won't come down from an altitude of 100 - 400 feet at more than about 20 feet per minute when commanded with left stick full down, regardless of normal or sport mode?  I just bought mine in July and updated to the latest firmware and it continually has this problem.  The down-looking camera lenses are all clean and there aren't any other problems or errors showing up but this one is pretty bad since it's almost run out of battery because of it.
2017-9-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

djiuser_HmoVNyF Posted at 2017-9-3 08:17
Everyone here seems totally happy with their Mavic.  So I guess none here have experienced the problem where it won't come down from an altitude of 100 - 400 feet at more than about 20 feet per minute when commanded with left stick full down, regardless of normal or sport mode?  I just bought mine in July and updated to the latest firmware and it continually has this problem.  The down-looking camera lenses are all clean and there aren't any other problems or errors showing up but this one is pretty bad since it's almost run out of battery because of it.

Is the problem that it won't descend or it won't descend as fast as you want?  I'd check your past flight and see if the Mavic is seeing a full stick down. You may need a stick calibration.
2017-9-3
Use props
randy.sauder
First Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

The Mavic is an awesome tool for photo/videography.  Truely has changed my toolset in a huge positive way...in many ways has replaced my DSLR.  So many shots that I used to try and compose with my DSLR I just shoot with the Mavic- it's like having your own personal crane for those normally impossible angles.  Truely Magic.  I can easily carry both my DSLR and Mavic, and deploy the Mavic in about 1 min or so.
2017-9-3
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

djiuser_HmoVNyF Posted at 2017-9-3 08:17

If it happens repeatedly, why not open a support request. Want some cheese to go with that whine?
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules