Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 boat launch issue
1439 7 2017-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
airtakes
lvl.3
Flight distance : 623045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yesterday we try to launch our Inspire 2 from a boat about a mile from the coast it was choppy, wille at sea we sucsefully power up, armed the copter, launch and flew 2 sucsesfull missions, on our last atempt the copter would not inizalised the IMU, no mater what we try, so with clients looking at us we had to abort the operation and became dead ducks. my dear DJI engeniers please look in to this matter, see if there is a fix, in all of the Inspire line of drones and its technological greatnes, not having some kind of motion booting option is a big drawback, Freefly Alta line of copters have this option feature, I have used it, DJI please look into how we can bypass the IMU self calibration when on a moving boat

thanks
2017-3-31
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

I've solved this issue by booting on the shoreline and then jumping on the boat.   When it comes to changing batteries I just do a hot swap, changing only one battery at a time, that way the unit never powers off and doesn't have worry about resetting the IMU
2017-3-31
Use props
airtakes
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-3-31 05:56
I've solved this issue by booting on the shoreline and then jumping on the boat.   When it comes to changing batteries I just do a hot swap, changing only one battery at a time, that way the unit never powers off and doesn't have worry about resetting the IMU

Thanks MadFrenchie that solution is my next step but it has some potential issues
1 gimbal stays on all the time perhaps getting hot
2 the gimbal may not like a lens change  mass between lenses could be different
3 potential issues with copter detecting non pair batteries

2017-3-31
Use props
airtakes
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

airtakes Posted at 2017-3-31 18:46
Thanks MadFrenchie that solution is my next step but it has some potential issues

I hope DJI looks in to this and give the copters some kind of motion booting
on Alta copters you take a short flight just in land just before you board the boat
land and turn motion booting on than board the boat and fly when you are done and back on land you turn motion booting off,
do a new boot up and thats it
this batteries hot swap could be a temporary emergency i hope is not the final solution
2017-3-31
Use props
ScooterC5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 435052 ft
  • >>>
United States

airtakes Posted at 2017-3-31 18:46

remove the entire camera before changing the lens.  The I2 is designed to be able to remove and install camera while powered on.
2017-3-31
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

ScooterC5 Posted at 2017-3-31 19:51
remove the entire camera before changing the lens.  The I2 is designed to be able to remove and install camera while powered on.

Exactly,   This is the safest way to change the lenses while leaving the I2 powered on.

Also there are no issues with hot swapping batteries,  The switch was designed so you choose which battery to eject, and I have yet to have any issues with a battery Pair after hot swapping.
2017-4-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's something that I can pass along, but it would be difficult to bypass since both the aircraft and the gimbal require a level surface upon start up.
2017-4-4
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

A workaround would be to hold the bird aloft whilst to performs its power on tests. This has worked for me on many occasions when there was too much movement on the boat. When the I1 first came out, it had to be perfectly still whilst it calibrated, DJI soon took note and did what was possible to allow us to take off from moving vessels, however, too much movement will still prevent take off.

Mark G.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules