Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

2017-3-31
Use props
BigKitty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148907 ft
Mexico

yep its a joke...I am Canadian living in Mexico and no real laws here!! Fly fly fly
2017-3-31
Use props
RMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93215 ft
Canada

I completely agree with what you are saying.
I think some things should be clarified.

I have had the same thoughts and reached out to a national pilots association for answers.

As explained to me:
Department of Justice interpretation and the definition according to TC is:
-any business using a model aircraft for hire or reward $$ is defined as a “UAV”
-while people not getting rewarded $$ is flying a “Model Aircraft”

So if you are getting paid, you are exempt. If taking photos of the neighbor hood, you are a Model Aircraft.

The 9km radius is equal to 5 nautical miles. the control zone around most aerodromes.  
(An airport  is an aerodrome that meets more stringent requirements.)
Aircraft are not permitted to fly below 500ft except for the purposes of takeoff or landing and they are allowed 5 nm. to achieve this.
i believe R/C were allowed up to 400ft.

Hope this helps.
2017-3-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Makes a lot of sense, But a cop who flys a drone who doesn't know what controlled airspace is, that's a bit worrying .
2017-3-31
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-31 09:09
Makes a lot of sense, But a cop who flys a drone who doesn't know what controlled airspace is, that's a bit worrying .

Agreed.  Also what is even more worrying is the fact that our RCMP in an official press communication regarding the recent drone 'issue' reported in Red Deer, reported completely incorrectly what the possible fine was for not following the interim order.    How the heck can we expect our police to correctly enforce a confusing and misleading regulation if the only actual easy fact that it states IS THE FINE $...and THEY GET THIS SIMPLE THING WRONG!!!  

Transport Canada themselves cannot even correctly or responsibly interpret the law....recently they Tweeted that if you post your UAV footage on Youtube, they consider then that your UAV usage is 'Commercial'!  Bizarre. They are an underfunded organization without consistent competence to be doing many of the things they are doing.  
2017-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules