Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
What ND filters do you prefer? POLL
312046 312046 2017-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Just looking to see what filters everyone is using and if you can comment on how you like them and if you have had experience with another brand.
Single SelectVote, Total 368 people participate in voting
37.50% (138)
15.22% (56)
8.70% (32)
1.63% (6)
7.07% (26)
4.08% (15)
1.36% (5)
17.12% (63)
7.34% (27)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-3-31
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

The pgy cpl is good. The nd work as advertised but really don't use them. Looks like skyreat has a set, reviewed by that peter homer guy in the uk.
2017-3-31
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-31 08:05
The pgy cpl is good. The nd work as advertised but really don't use them. Looks like skyreat has a set, reviewed by that peter homer guy in the uk.

Yeah, Ill be going to Hawaii next month so i was looking for some good ND filters!
2017-3-31
Use props
pan_de_ron
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36017 ft
United States

Just bought the my first ND filters. I opted for Taco.   Anyone got good sites to know which ND filter # to use properly? I tried to use PolarPro's app as well to figure out which filter # would be suitable.
2017-3-31
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

pan_de_ron Posted at 2017-3-31 13:35
Just bought the my first ND filters. I opted for Taco.   Anyone got good sites to know which ND filter # to use properly? I tried to use PolarPro's app as well to figure out which filter # would be suitable.

Here's some good information that's referenced at the beginning of a thread titled ND Filter - Everything you wanted to know about it.
2017-3-31
Use props
kaeyalin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153665 ft
United States

I've only purchased/used Taco.  The others were either unavailable or too pricey.  Very happy with the Tacos.
2017-3-31
Use props
FI. Stanley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 148556 ft
  • >>>
Finland

DJI MAVIC FILTERS - CINEMA SERIES - VIVID COLLECTION
2017-4-1
Use props
fans34657eb5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58783 ft
United Kingdom

I always used Neewer ND's for my P3S but have Taco-RC Multi Coated ND's in the post for my Mavic. £65 on Amazon, so not cheap, but then neither's the drone sooo.....
2017-4-1
Use props
fans34657eb5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58783 ft
United Kingdom

Assuming you're keeping the SS at 1/50th (PAL) and you've got the ISO at minimum I tended to simply try it on for size and see what brings your exposure to roughly the correct output. After using them a while you'll get to know roughly which one to go for given the weather conditions - you can then adjust your ISO if it's a little too dark or ND filter if a little too bright still
2017-4-1
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

kaeyalin Posted at 2017-3-31 15:04
I've only purchased/used Taco.  The others were either unavailable or too pricey.  Very happy with the Tacos.

Im stuck between Taco-RC and Polar Pros.... Not sure what I should get..
2017-4-3
Use props
Flytcam_Shaun
lvl.1
United States

If its very bright high noon you will need to drop the light quite a bit.  It depends on where you are in the world.  Where I live in high desert I need to drop fairly well so I use an ND32 which is a 5 stop stop filter this drops the light by 1/32 of what is originally was.  If there are clouds out obscuring the sun a little I might go with a 4 stop which is the ND16.  It really depends though, you have to look at the histogram and see what its doing.  If it is spiking to the left you are under exposed if its spiking to the right its being blown out.  The challenge is to find an acceptable balance between shaded areas and the sky like flying under trees.  So you may have to play with the exposure a little until you can get it to where the sky is not too blown out and the shaded areas are not do not lose detail in the shadows.
2017-4-4
Use props
Talonn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 564190 ft
  • >>>
United States

For the Mavic, I have only tried the Skyreat brand found on Amazon but being into DSLR photography for over 15 years and having experience using various filters to include ND, I can assure you that the Skyreat filters for the Mavic Pro definitely deliver. I used Taco ND filters on my Phantom 3 Pro and loved those as well. I particularly love the Skyreat ND8 CPL and the ND16 CPL which have the ability to significantly lower the shutter speeds and reduce glare and reflections on shiny surfaces such as glass and water. These filters also enhance the appearance of clouds in the sky and does not distort the image at all. Skyreat filters have a premium build quality at a very reasonable price point. The aluminum finish with all glass lens is quite impressive and does not interfere with the gimbal calibration process. I only wish that they included markings to distinguish the polarized portion of the filter but it's easy enough to find the sweet spot by rotating until the desired effect is achieved.
2017-4-4
Use props
NavigatorNL
First Officer
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

PolarPro CINEMATIC.Not in the list.
2017-4-4
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

The Polar Pro ND/PL hands down because of the gradient polarized is perfect for sky water and other combinations unique to flying cameras. The set up for adjusting those PLs are brilliant as well. I mostly use the 4-32 but will bust out the 64 if I'm flying on Venus.

Hands down the best filters and the form factor for the Mavic is second to none.
2017-4-4
Use props
bluezdawg
lvl.1
United States

Love the Taco filters!
2017-4-5
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 313281 ft
United States

I have the Taco 5pc set and added a PGY CPL.  However I don'r think the CPL really adjusts or am I missing something?
2017-4-5
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.3
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-3-31 08:07
Yeah, Ill be going to Hawaii next month so i was looking for some good ND filters!

Hey man keep me posted on this adventure! I am heading to Hawaii in June.
2017-4-5
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

81SFORLIFE Posted at 2017-4-5 08:13
Hey man keep me posted on this adventure! I am heading to Hawaii in June.

For sure, I will most likely be posting some footage and a vlog of our trip.
2017-4-5
Use props
Heavysledz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

I have the Taco RC filters and like them. Can't really compare them to the others as these are the only ones I have tried on the Mavic Pro. They go on and off very easily and have never generated any initialization errors on power up. The case is nice but wish it was a bit smaller....overall, very pleased and would purchase again.
2017-4-5
Use props
Heavysledz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

81SFORLIFE Posted at 2017-4-5 07:36
I have the Taco 5pc set and added a PGY CPL.  However I don'r think the CPL really adjusts or am I missing something?

CPL = circular polarizing lens

this means their is no polarity to it and can be mounted in any direction.
2017-4-5
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.3
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-4-5 12:38
CPL = circular polarizing lens

this means their is no polarity to it and can be mounted in any direction.

Ah...thanks!
2017-4-5
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

81SFORLIFE Posted at 2017-4-5 07:36

You adjust it by turning the polarizing filter.  If it is set correctly, it will adjust polarized light through the lens.  By itself, it doesn't have any neutral density capabilities to shutter speed, but will provide color saturation and reduction of polarized light.  There is a dependency that the filter is turned into the right circular position in relation to the light source.
2017-4-12
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
United States

I think the poll more accurately reflects which ND filter brand did you end up selecting.  

I suspect I would have been relatively happy with any filter, subject to some minor pros/cons between brands.

I selected PolarPro and will confirm the current iteration for Mavic Pro easily clears the gimbal initialization.  I selected PolarPro for a variety of reasons; fast shipping, superior customer support and quality of product.

It is true that PolarPro is more expensive, but if you look around, 10% discount codes are easily found.  This will at least begin to equalize the cost difference with its closest competitor.  

Everyone has a reason for selection, and its not always just the physical product itself.  Every ND filter offered is likely a satisfactory solution.....
2017-4-12
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-12 08:45
I think the poll more accurately reflects which ND filter brand did you end up selecting.  

I suspect I would have been relatively happy with any filter, subject to some minor pros/cons between brands.

True, It is also good to see the high amounts of user's for certain brands being used and people not having anything bad to say about them in the comments.
2017-4-12
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.3
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-12 05:21
You adjust it by turning the polarizing filter.  If it is set correctly, it will adjust polarized light through the lens.  By itself, it doesn't have any neutral density capabilities to shutter speed, but will provide color saturation and reduction of polarized light.  There is a dependency that the filter is turned into the right circular position in relation to the light source.

Yes I understand that but the filter is not made like one for my DSLR. It does not adjust, it's just a straight filter I can rotate the whole filter but that is about it. I've taken it off and rotated it by hand looking through it but nothing seems to change.
2017-4-13
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
United States

81SFORLIFE Posted at 2017-4-13 06:50
Yes I understand that but the filter is not made like one for my DSLR. It does not adjust, it's just a straight filter I can rotate the whole filter but that is about it. I've taken it off and rotated it by hand looking through it but nothing seems to change.

Just out of curiosity, are you indicating that Taco-RC offers a CPL for Mavic?  I remember looking at their filters before I made a purchase selection, and they offered a nice range of ND, plus a UV filter.  I'm wondering if you have mistaken the UV for a CPL.  They are not the same.  The UV offers additional lens protection and is not suppose to have any impact on filtering out polarizing light.

If you truly have a CPL, then its suppose to be circular (like your experience with DSLR filters), not linear, and should change lighting through rotations.

I'm just curious if you are mixing up the UV included in their sets with a CPL, or if Taco-RC has come out with a CPL for Mavic.......
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-13 10:09
Just out of curiosity, are you indicating that Taco-RC offers a CPL for Mavic?  I remember looking at their filters before I made a purchase selection, and they offered a nice range of ND, plus a UV filter.  I'm wondering if you have mistaken the UV for a CPL.  They are not the same.  The UV offers additional lens protection and is not suppose to have any impact on filtering out polarizing light.

If you truly have a CPL, then its suppose to be circular (like your experience with DSLR filters), not linear, and should change lighting through rotations.

I'm just curious if you are mixing up the UV included in their sets with a CPL, or if Taco-RC has come out with a CPL for Mavic

Taco doesn't yet offer any polarized Mavic filters, but they've been been saying for quite some time that they will offer them at some point. I think the person you replied to is referring to a separate PGY-Tech filter he bought.
2017-4-13
Use props
81SFORLIFE
lvl.3
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-13 10:09

Nope not confusing it.This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Hooshion- ... c%2Bfilter&th=1
2017-4-13
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

81SFORLIFE Posted at 2017-4-13 11:44
Nope not confusing it.This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Hooshion-Quadcopter-Accessories-Circular-Polarizer/dp/B01N0V58SD/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492112344&sr=1-2&keywords=cpl%2Bmavic%2Bfilter&th=1

Yeah have that cpl filter, it's pgytech and it does change as you rotate.
2017-4-22
Use props
Algan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116302 ft
Turkey

hi,
i want filters too, but i dont want to remove them every time, so what do you prefer?
2017-4-24
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Algan Posted at 2017-4-24 01:01
hi,
i want filters too, but i dont want to remove them every time, so what do you prefer?

Most brands you do not have to remove, unlike the first releases.
2017-4-24
Use props
Algan
Second Officer
Turkey

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-24 06:12
Most brands you do not have to remove, unlike the first releases.

so which brand do you prefer? i would like to go with DJI official
2017-4-24
Use props
Anoniem
First Officer
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

I have the Taco, works fine. Quality wise look ok to me, no problems so far. These ND filters from DJI look very fragile.
Question to you all that are using ND filters, you do set the white balance fixed or to AUTO?
If you fix the white balance, do you compensate manuallyfor the ND filter or just leave it on with cloudy or sunny preset?
2017-4-25
Use props
travelrikk
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

I thought this was going to be about the number of F-stops. Which nd filter have you guys got? nd 8 and 32 here.
2017-4-25
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Algan Posted at 2017-4-24 11:18
so which brand do you prefer? i would like to go with DJI official

I was going to go with DJI Filters but they are know to crack easily, so I have the Taco RC and the Skyreat from Amazon, I will be trying both next week!
2017-4-25
Use props
Algan
Second Officer
Turkey

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-25 06:26
I was going to go with DJI Filters but they are know to crack easily, so I have the Taco RC and the Skyreat from Amazon, I will be trying both next week!

how about polar pro cine series/shutter
2017-4-25
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Algan Posted at 2017-4-25 11:29
how about polar pro cine series/shutter

I was going to order the Polar pro but I got a great deal on the Taco-RC and the SykReats, So I figured Id give them a try and if they dont suit my needs or work correctly Ill buy picking up some Polar Pros.
2017-4-25
Use props
Acidsnow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

Interesting, I'm the only one that doesn't think they are NOT necessary . . . ?
Disclaimer - I am color blind, but can still see varying differences in shades . . . guess I can't really appreciate them for what they are worth . . .
2017-4-26
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

Acidsnow Posted at 2017-4-26 07:43
Interesting, I'm the only one that doesn't think they are NOT necessary . . . ?
Disclaimer - I am color blind, but can still see varying differences in shades . . . guess I can't really appreciate them for what they are worth . . .

I suppose this is true, Maybe you should try those Glasses that may allow you to see color.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans53b8447c
New
Flight distance : 90203 ft
United States

Just look at your frame rate.  If you are running at 30 fps, then your shutter speed should be no lower than 60 (or 1/60), maybe a little higher, and EV should stay close to +\- 0.  If the shutter speed is much higher than double the frame rate and/or ISO is greater than 400, put on a step darker ND.  If ISO is low and/or shutter speed is lower than double the frame rate, put on a lighter ND.  For what it's worth, I've found that 2.7k at 30 fps gets the best results with minimum "juttering" when panning.  Higher frame rates will seem more digital and less film-like.  
2017-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules