Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fireworks! Advice?
944 8 2017-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1c013969
lvl.3
Flight distance : 766791 ft
Canada

I'm planning on making a video of us launching some fireworks. I have never flown around dusk, and could really use some advice on camera settings and safety. I realize flying close to fireworks isn't really the smartest thing. But if I can hover off to the side and away from the fireworks trajectory, then I could get some really cool video!

If there are more people telling me it's too risky, I simply won't do it.
2017-3-31
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

It sounds like you believe this is not a good idea. Cool video should not be number one priority here, what will you be flying over? I assume there will be people around watching the display? You will be landing in the dark so have you a safe spot to land should anything go wrong?  What is the max height the fireworks will be going off? What is the max spread of the display? No good thinking after, I wish I had been further away. If you are sure of exactly where the danger zone will be (allowing for wind etc.) there is an app you could use called Vertical Studio that lets you build a geofence. Make sure you plan this well and fly the plan, on my first flying lesson, my instructor told me that safe flying was 10% flying ability and 90%, this is something to bear in mind here.

Good luck and fly safe dude.

Mark G.

Don't forget to post the results.
2017-4-1
Use props
Donnie *
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just make sure you stay far enough back so you dont damage  the aircraft ( mind the wind )  or make the Pyrotechnic staff ( if you have some there ) nervous . Make sure you adjust your camera settings accordingly as well , this will take some tweaking of course.
One thing I can say for sure is keep the panning and tilt speeds  SLOW, to often these are way to fast and make the video uncomfortable to watch .  As far as specific camera settings I am still learning this aspect myself  and will leave that input for others .

Just have fun and fly within your abilities , sounds like a cool idea. Be sure to post the results.

donnie

2017-4-1
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

Using a P4 last 4th of July I got the shots for this video;

I got lucky on the Automatic setting.
2017-4-1
Use props
maxdd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 889531 ft
United States

The natural fireworks on the horizon were very nice also!
2017-4-1
Use props
fans1c013969
lvl.3
Flight distance : 766791 ft
Canada

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-4-1 02:01
It sounds like you believe this is not a good idea. Cool video should not be number one priority here, what will you be flying over? I assume there will be people around watching the display? You will be landing in the dark so have you a safe spot to land should anything go wrong?  What is the max height the fireworks will be going off? What is the max spread of the display? No good thinking after, I wish I had been further away. If you are sure of exactly where the danger zone will be (allowing for wind etc.) there is an app you could use called Vertical Studio that lets you build a geofence. Make sure you plan this well and fly the plan, on my first flying lesson, my instructor told me that safe flying was 10% flying ability and 90%, this is something to bear in mind here.

Good luck and fly safe dude.

This is a very small time firework display. It would be myself and maybe two other people? It's not a public event at all. I bought about $60 worth of fireworks to play around with!!

if I launch the fireworks at about a 30 degree angle I can fly my drone at about the same level, but 'behind' where the fireworks are going to explore. Taking the wind into consideration of course.

I was just asking for unforeseen issues I may have. And camera settings to capture the bright lights.

Thanks!
2017-4-2
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Cool idea..
2017-4-2
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

maxdd Posted at 2017-4-1 12:39
The natural fireworks on the horizon were very nice also!

Yep, couldn't have planned that any better. Fireworks from above and below.
2017-4-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Like others have mentioned, you really do need to take a lot of precaution if you're going to shoot fireworks. Keep in mind that the warranty does not cover damage by fireworks.
2017-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules