What am I doing wrong with tap to focus on the Mavic?
2126 10 2017-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephen33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90515 ft
Canada

I received my Mavic back in October and after image softness frustration, I sent it back for service in February. After two months, I have a Mavic again but I still can't understand how to properly focus this thing. The replacement Mavic still feels like a lens misalignment because either the top left is out of focus, or the bottom right is out of focus.
If I do a focus stack in Photoshop of 3 images with 3 different focus points, it shows how the focus shifts from top left to bottom right. If the Mavic camera is pointed straight down on a flat surface, shouldn't everything be in focus on all 4 corners?

Screenshot 2017-04-01 16.03.01.png

DJI_0091.jpg

DJI_0092.jpg

DJI_0093.jpg

I can understand depth of field at f2.2 but I don't understand how one side of the frame (top to bottom) can be sharp while the other side is very soft.

DJI_0078.jpg

Is this user error or did I receive another defective lens?

2017-4-1
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Bind c1 to center focus in go. Should be clean after, otherwise it's something else.
2017-4-1
Use props
stephen33
lvl.1
Canada

Another example of how bad it can get.
DJI_0110.jpg DJI_0111.jpg

2017-4-1
Use props
mildim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 981558 ft
Switzerland

I would say your Mavic still has the same mis alignment problem.
2017-4-1
Use props
stephen33
lvl.1
Canada

I agree. It still has the problem but it's also not the same Mavic. It's a new serial number and a replacement unit that was manufactured on March 10th. It's unfortunate they are still coming off the assembly line like this.
2017-4-1
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Are you using the DJI GO app, or are you using the DJI GO4 app? The DJI GO 4 app is more focus friendly in comparison with the DJI GO app.  
2017-4-4
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Are you using the DJI GO app, or are you using the DJI GO4 app? The DJI GO 4 app is more focus friendly in comparison with the DJI GO app.  
2017-4-4
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you received yet another defective mavic, it's possible because I received 3 different phantom 4 pro's before I finally gave up.
2017-4-4
Use props
stephen33
lvl.1
Canada

I'm using the GO4 app. After talking with support, reinstalling firmware, calibrating IMU, calibrating gimbal and resetting the camera, the results are still puzzling and suggests a lens hardware problem in this second Mavic too. If this tool http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com/ is accurate, my first Mavic was manufactured Sept 21 2016 and the second was manufactured March 10 2017.
Left side in focus only.
left-focus.jpg

Right side in focus only.
right-focus.jpg

Here are some screenshots of the app with the red focus markings.
forward-left.jpg forward-right.jpg

If I point the camera straight down, everything should be on a flat plain and in focus. A center focus minimizes the problem but it's still strong on the right side of the frame.
down-center.jpg down-left.jpg down-right.jpg

Few more examples.

Center focused with softness on edges. It can't be depth of field because it's top to bottom.
center-focus-2.jpg

Left focused.
left-focus-2.jpg

Right focused.
right-focus-2.jpg

Left Focused
left-focus-3.jpg
2017-4-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

stephen33 Posted at 2017-4-4 04:50
I'm using the GO4 app. After talking with support, reinstalling firmware, calibrating IMU, calibrating gimbal and resetting the camera, the results are still puzzling and suggests a lens hardware problem in this second Mavic too. If this tool http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com/ is accurate, my first Mavic was manufactured Sept 21 2016 and the second was manufactured March 10 2017.
Left side in focus only.
[view_image]

Hi Stephen, I'm sorry it's probably a hardware issue.
Did you contact our tech support to create a case for this aircraft?
2017-4-5
Use props
stephen33
lvl.1
Canada

Hi Mindy. Yes, it was sent back a couple days ago. Fingers crossed the 3rd one is ok and hoping this time it doesn't take another 52 days. I'm annoyed but have faith since I have friends with Mavics that work fine.

Interestingly, a neighbor had the same problem who also sent his back in February and received a replacement last week too. His new one works fine.
2017-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules