Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DON'T DO STUPID STUFF AND THEN POST IT!
2408 30 2017-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DesertDave
lvl.4
Flight distance : 55807 ft
United States

As I see other countries severely limit quadcopter flight, I am all too aware of some of the reasons governments are tightening restrictions. Just in the last week I have seen video posted on this forum that are clearly violations of FAA and National Parks regulations. More and more reports are coming in to the FAA about non-compliant drone flight that endangered airplanes. The more they report it, the more likely the public would support "protections" that prevent us from flying. Just like the morons flashing laser lights at low flying aircraft, there is a point at which law enforcement gets tough. Though I think the National Park regulations are over-restrictive, I still have to follow them.
Those that fly, film and then post these videos put all of our rights in jeopardy.  There are FAA waivers now, though I haven't personally tried to navigate the paperwork. But if you are going to fly near airports, large crowds, sports arenas, national parks, appear to be filming small children playing, endangering wildlife, or other prohibited behavior, PLEASE DON'T POST IT! You endanger my rights and the rights of all the other compliant citizens just trying to enjoy the sport. If you don't think Youtube is seen by law enforcement, you are kidding yourself.
Please fly safely.
DD

2017-4-2
Use props
POTUS
First Officer
Flight distance : 475850 ft
United States

Well said - I completely agree.  
2017-4-2
Use props
Highasakite
First Officer
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

Safety First! Ken.
2017-4-2
Use props
Blucenturion
lvl.3
Flight distance : 362995 ft
United States

Well said, and my only hope for the future is if they take the flight records that show clear violations, and smack them with a hefty fine, then and there. This might seem draconian, but if it eliminates laws like Canada, we'll count ourselves lucky. The YT siren call for fame, and bad examples by the likes of Casey Neistat are misleading new drone pilots. The first contact with an airliner will be Game Over.
2017-4-2
Use props
SkunkWerxs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Thank You Dave
2017-4-2
Use props
PartsGuy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

Well said. I agree.
2017-4-2
Use props
POTUS
First Officer
Flight distance : 475850 ft
United States

Blucenturion Posted at 2017-4-2 14:17
Well said, and my only hope for the future is if they take the flight records that show clear violations, and smack them with a hefty fine, then and there. This might seem draconian, but if it eliminates laws like Canada, we'll count ourselves lucky. The YT siren call for fame, and bad examples by the likes of Casey Neistat are misleading new drone pilots. The first contact with an airliner will be Game Over.

Casey has had tons of crazy illegal drone flights, but in a recent video he said he's going to start flying more responsibly and set a better example for others. It was neat to hear him say that.
2017-4-2
Use props
cristianc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Agreed, we need to fly responsibly.
2017-4-2
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

The OP isn't the first to bring this subject up but it bears repeating.
"Nanny state, spoiling our fun, rules are made to be broken" etc are often repeated from those that have little or no concern for the consequences of their actions when flouting the rules and guidelines that the vast majority here observe. That majority are self evident from the replies to this thread so far. By keeping awareness and self regulation up, with a bit of luck we can try to keep this pastime/profession alive for a few more years at least.
2017-4-2
Use props
BigWaveDave
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115988 ft
United States

wow just wrote something trying to help and ive been blocked by a message that says "sorry your fill contains bad information" wow
2017-4-2
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, well said.  And yes, game over for first contact of ANY maned aircraft for that manner.
2017-4-2
Use props
BigWaveDave
lvl.1
United States

OK so i realize the regulations but why attack the people and not the company?...is it legal to test your new Very Expensive Drone AS ADVERTISED? Can you really fly far away (Mavic Over a couple Miles) as advertised or is your drone capable of awesome things? yes there are many places where these things are highly irresponsible and highly or potentially dangerous?(YES!!!!!)...in my case im in northern California where the scenery is absolutely beautiful...all this said im not flying over a place where people are endangered...more likely to get a bird poop on the shoulder than a drone...with all my experiences the return home feature is on point...with all this said im an amateur and totally dont want to put others in jeopardy with the same fun im experiencing...calling all entrepreneur's lets help educate people like me...sorry if i have hurt the sport an any way i want to learn and set an example for others...my friends are wanting to buy these things so if i could spread the word that you all want to keep please help me...thanks for bringing this point to light and i would love to help prolong the safe flying experience!!!               
2017-4-2
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

BigWaveDave Posted at 2017-4-2 18:17
OK so i realize the regulations but why attack the people and not the company?...is it legal to test your new Very Expensive Drone AS ADVERTISED? Can you really fly far away (Mavic Over a couple Miles) as advertised or is your drone capable of awesome things? yes there are many places where these things are highly irresponsible and highly or potentially dangerous?(YES!!!!!)...in my case im in northern California where the scenery is absolutely beautiful...all this said im not flying over a place where people are endangered...more likely to get a bird poop on the shoulder than a drone...with all my experiences the return home feature is on point...with all this said im an amateur and totally dont want to put others in jeopardy with the same fun im experiencing...calling all entrepreneur's lets help educate people like me...sorry if i have hurt the sport an any way i want to learn and set an example for others...my friends are wanting to buy these things so if i could spread the word that you all want to keep please help me...thanks for bringing this point to light and i would love to help prolong the safe flying experience!!!

BigWave, it really more or less common sense.  Educate yourself and others.  Make sure the info you hear the first time is legitimate before opening your mouth to others.  I am totally on board with you.  Here in Colorado and we also have awesome views.
2017-4-2
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Amen brother DD

Rich
2017-4-2
Use props
Willik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

+1 here.

Thanks.
2017-4-2
Use props
ramboT3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 147352 ft
United States

like even on DJI's instagram they post stuff that breaks US law. One of their recent posts is clearly double or triple the maximum altitude AND in a huge international airports flight path.  
2017-4-3
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

ramboT3 Posted at 2017-4-3 02:43
like even on DJI's instagram they post stuff that breaks US law. One of their recent posts is clearly double or triple the maximum altitude AND in a huge international airports flight path.

They may have had clearance to do so, which none of us will know.
2017-4-3
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

BigWaveDave Posted at 2017-4-2 18:17

Why attach the company for giving a long range, it is up to the user to obey the laws. One person can have a better line of sight then the next person. And one can be in clear weather where you can see for a further distance in one area vs another.
2017-4-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

In addition to not posting illegal activity, please don't do it where the general public can see it.    Someone complaining to the authorities or just their fiends and neighbors hurts all of us more than a post in a forum occupied by drone pilots.
2017-4-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I don't understand your assumption that new laws and regulations are made because people are breaking the existing laws and regulations.

Your logic is flawed, if there are 2 fields - field A I'm allowed to fly in, field B I'm not allowed. If I fly in field B against the law what purpose would it serve to ban everyone from field A as well?

I'm sure there's a specific word for your type of argument, but I can't find it, variation of a strawman argument based on the presumption of an assumption
2017-4-3
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-4-3 11:43
I don't understand your assumption that new laws and regulations are made because people are breaking the existing laws and regulations.

Your logic is flawed, if there are 2 fields - field A I'm allowed to fly in, field B I'm not allowed. If I fly in field B against the law what purpose would it serve to ban everyone from field A as well?

Think your looking for a red herring.
2017-4-3
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-4-3 11:43

The "assumption" is simple.  That's how the idiots who make laws operate in the U.S.  If people break the laws, create more of them to show they're doing something about it.

Banning everyone from both fields (above) makes a point.  If you aren't going to obey the rules, we're going to tighten them further and you won't be able to fly here at all.

Just like every other law, they need to ENFORCE what they have and quit making new laws except when not covered by something already on the books.  Just show that you ARE going to enforce the laws.  Make an example or a few of them, and the rate will go down drastically,

In the case of drones, it is further complicated by the fact that there really aren't many actual laws in place.  They have guidelines.  Because some people like to thumb their nose at authority many of those people go out and push the limits as far as they want.  The problem is that the more the guidelines are not followed and the public complains, the more pressure there will be to have specific laws.  As we all know, those laws will be highly restrictive.  Wow - look at what Canada is doing!  It can happen here.
2017-4-3
Use props
bigdps
lvl.4
Canada

You guys all know that if we are getting more and more restricted with regards to our flight practices, just look at Youtube and the multitude of idiots doing dangerous things. Like this moron that attached fireworks on a Phantom drone and thought it was funny. Another did the same thing and even says "Don't Try this at home." Way to go champion. You attach something that clearly doesn't or wasn't made to be there in the first place, post it for 15 minutes of fame. Then the public who knows NOTHING about drones and those who fly safely, has something to complain about. Yup. Morons and their toys break it for us with our hobby. {:4_142:}
2017-4-3
Use props
rick39
Second Officer
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Blaming the manufacturer in an earlier post for an owners ability to flout the regs, guidelines and laws is ridiculous. Drone sales are a worldwide market and each country have their own regulations. The point is to abide by the regs in whose airspace you are flying in and over and above that, show common sense for the safety of others and yourself.
2017-4-3
Use props
DJISenord
lvl.1

United States

YES.  Thanks for posting this.  I hate to see people post especially on Youtube stupid illegal videos.  Know the rules before you fly, it's better for everyone.   I have been on a mission for over a year to stop stupidity.  If I see an illegal video on Youtube, Facebook, I report it.  And any responsible pilot should also.   As a pro pilot, I hate to see this stuff, as it  can encourage the FAA to introduce more restrictive rules for pro and amateur pilots.  

Anyone here have their Part 107 cert?   
2017-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have to agree with Matt & Reilly, laws are made for everyone , not for the morons, they are for the safety in aviation and the safety of the public, if someone breaks the law this won't be a reason to change them, or an excuse, if they lower the limits or distance for flying the morons will still do what morons do, if there is a wider issue of safety then they have no choice to legislate for this.

Some of the US laws are very vague VLOS for instance some have 20 20 vision some think they have , and some think well if he can see that far so can I , some in the US are confused because they are faced with what they call guidelines, most can work within these guidelines, but there are certainly a number who have adopted a stance in seeing these guidelines as just that guidelines and not laws, I think we will see FAA turn these guidelines into actual aviation law,

I also think just as we have done for cars the more cars on the road the greater need for new safety laws in road traffic. This will happen with SUA's but I think if drone communities and manufacturers are to the forefront in such changes, then laws and rules may not be as severe as we might think.

So for now naming and shaming those morons who choose to flaunt the law particularly putting aviation and the general public in danger, is a good thing, so good job OP..
2017-4-4
Use props
BigWaveDave
lvl.1
United States

I never blamed a company i just asked a question in my earlier post...obviously the user of the drone is the person responsible...I think we can all help each other in simple discussions like these and just keep it at that. Happy FLying
2017-4-4
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

People post stupid things on social media daily. Including evidence of felonies they've committed.

Why does anyone think drones change/improve that behavior?
2017-4-4
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

And those that DO publish the stupid  videos of drones...aren't reading this thread anyways
2017-4-4
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-4-4 17:56
And those that DO publish the stupid  videos of drones...aren't reading this thread anyways

I Agree, I got my FAA Part 107 certification mostly as I had to to provide Photos & Video commercially, but also to know the regulations and to be a safe UAS pilot.
I know this will fall on many mute eyes but for a $150 US it is well worth it, you cannot get an FAA Waiver to fly within Class B airspace without it and even then it takes about 90 days for approval, the waiver will allow a 3 day window should you encounter weather issues.

Anybody who decides to fly over populated areas should be required to be licensed under 107 for all the same reasons listed above, just my 2 cents.

FAA UAS Pilot Guide
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_ ... lot_study_guide.pdf
2017-7-20
Use props
Mir
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I miss the days when people didn't even know what drones were, and this tech wasn't in the hands of masses. It was purely up to you and your technical DIY knowledge to make a great quadcopter or fixed wing aircraft with an FPV setup. The best ones with UHF long range control. Instead of people approaching  you to berate you.. we only had people come to watch and enjoy.
I would fly every single morning. Now I only fly once a week due to rules and how far I have to travel now due to bans and paranoid people everywhere.

Cheaper tech arrived... and all the idiots came with it.
I like the message in this thread.. but let's be realistic. The tech is getting even cheaper, which means more brain-donors are going to get noticed with stupid behaviour. It's going to get much worse before it gets better.
2017-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules