Severe posterized image quality
2145 14 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

Greetings, iv got this really bad result from mavic at 1080 50 & 60fps profile 0,-1,0 (at 24,25,30fps the image is greatly improved but issue is still there especially in densely packed trees ). I'v read ppl post about Noise reduction might affect this etc but i dont think that is the case. Firstly id like to say that like many others im professional videographer and not a hobbyst...same faulty product i got with Ronin and after 5-6 weeks of frustrating emails i finally got a replacement (in the meanwhile i had to pay rental Ronin to do my job)....and again now with Mavic i will have to rent a phantom for next week job.
Now my understanding of this problem...i dont think this is noise reduction or focus issue. its either bad sensor or bad compression & decoding (where maybe it could be fixed with firmware). I have already mailed DJI support and dealer last week but ,as expected, no answer yet. I hope DJI will tell us whats going on with this issue and hope i get a replacement soon.
edit* what iv tried so far with no luck:
- factory reset Mavic
- roll back firmware and update again
- IMU & gimbal calibration
- reset camera (PAL to NTSC to PAL)

Original short file for download if you wanna check too https://we.tl/9epsZE5Z2s

2017-4-3
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

don't shoot in 60fps its unuseable on the mavic
2017-4-3
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

so this is normal? everyone is getting this result at 50-60fps? if so then why it's advertised that is capable to shoot at those fps...phones can shoot 120fps
2017-4-3
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hi, unfortunatelly Mavic is not for professionals - so far I have discovered reading this official DJI forum. My expectations were also higher, and since I have read many posts from disappointed users here I also had to change my mind a bit.
(Esp. try to find "Mavic hot spot", or "Watercolor effect" topics and you will find yourself)
People even got banned for complaining about the poor picture quality - e.g. at the "Watercolor effect" thread.

I found my Mavic still usable under good light conditions and correct FPS / ISO settings,
Do not try to reduce the sharpness in the App settings. (e.g. -1 will result in strong NR and "watercolor effect" under the weak light).

For semi-proffessional shoots it still could be good I guess (but I still am going to buy the Inspire 2 in the future :-).
2017-4-3
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

There is a document regarding the 1080p usage and it is not intended for quality video but rather for FPV.
2017-4-3
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

@Willik: yes i agree that Mavic is not suitable for shooting big commercial etc...but this image is surely coming from faulty hardware/software and its not even good for home videos.
@Jenee: where is this document hidden? Iv read the listed specs and Manuals of the Mavic and there is no reference that Mavic is only for FPV and not for filming.
2017-4-4
Use props
OrangeNL
New
Netherlands

I have exactly the same. Testing several different settings every day for the whole week but its not going better. My old Phantom 2 with GoPro camera is much better....
2017-4-4
Use props
OrangeNL
New
Netherlands

Just called with the shop (professional video shop) I bought my Mavic. They adviced me to buy ND's and set the shutter speed lower. "would solve the problem for sure" they said....
2017-4-4
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

noipego Posted at 2017-4-4 02:45
@Willik: yes i agree that Mavic is not suitable for shooting big commercial etc...but this image is surely coming from faulty hardware/software and its not even good for home videos.
@Jenee: where is this document hidden? Iv read the listed specs and Manuals of the Mavic and there is no reference that Mavic is only for FPV and not for filming.

Hi,

There is no official document - as far as I know or have seen - saying that Mavic is not for filming but for FPV. However there were discussions here with DJI employees and as far as I remember Ken said that the 1080p 60FPS was ment for FPV and not for filming (due to the image processor not capable of handling this better).

The image processor is the key here - in the Mavic you can get rather stable and sensible 4K at 25fps and 2.7K at 30fps - but this is more of the "home movie" quality given the bitrate (4K is 60Mbit and 2.7K is 45Mbit - and you can't get more). If you're using this equipment for work and you do need proper video feed you'd be much better off with Inspire 2 (RAW video on the SSD disk) as opposed to any other equipment. I'm not familiar with the Phantom 4 Pro but this could work for you - but you'd have to check out the info and decide yourself.

I'm using Mavic for the joy of flying and an occasional picture or a movie - but that's home stuff so it is enough. Were I to go pro (I have a long history with SLR cameras since childhood, before there was anything digital there - so I have an idea) I would definitely not consider the Mavic as sufficient. Matter of taste of course but I'm pretty sure it's at least a bit reliable.

Hope this answers your questions a bit. Some software adjustments could help with the Mavic but the image processor is the way it is - you can't pull more force from it, not from this model, maybe with Mavic 2 or 3 it'll get better but not with this version of hardware. Sorry.

Cheers!
2017-4-4
Use props
willhay555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481755 ft
United Kingdom

Willik Posted at 2017-4-3 22:35
Hi, unfortunatelly Mavic is not for professionals - so far I have discovered reading this official DJI forum. My expectations were also higher, and since I have read many posts from disappointed users here I also had to change my mind a bit.
(Esp. try to find "Mavic hot spot", or "Watercolor effect" topics and you will find yourself)
People even got banned for complaining about the poor picture quality - e.g. at the "Watercolor effect" thread.

The aspire 2?

Yeah, because that's a perfectly good comparison to the Mavic Pro.
2017-4-4
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-4-4 04:02
Hi,

There is no official document - as far as I know or have seen - saying that Mavic is not for filming but for FPV. However there were discussions here with DJI employees and as far as I remember Ken said that the 1080p 60FPS was ment for FPV and not for filming (due to the image processor not capable of handling this better).

Definitely I agree with this comment, even tho you can pull of a decent footage with the Mavic you need to accept the limitations..it is certainly not a nikon d810
2017-4-4
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

@ OrangeNL: i have bought the DJI ND filters as i want to shoot with proper shutter speed...but that doesn't fix the brushed image of the Mavic.
@ rnrnrn : i understand perfectly what you say and yes possibly the processor cannot deliver good quality (ofc a $5K drone shooting raw is better than Mavic too)....but that should be clearly writen in every document of the product....and not just stated in forums by DJI employees. In my case i get bad quality at 2.7 and 4K... at 1080p is not even bad...its worse than bad. Lets see what DJI has to say about that (i hope i dont get banned tho)
2017-4-4
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

so is there a way to return/refund the unit if we've passed 14days?(bad weather and slow dji support they need 5days to respond to each mail) I need to shoot 50-60fps and mavic cannot deliver what is advertising..
2017-4-6
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

noipego Posted at 2017-4-4 02:45

Sorry for the late reply.
http://www.droningon.co/wp-conte ... 96fps-DroningON.pdf
2017-4-6
Use props
noipego
lvl.3
Greece

Yes Jenee iv seen that document and i know exactly the aliasing and moire effect from pixel binning and line skipping (i deal with it when shooting high fps in 5d3 ML raw video). But what we are getting here is brushed/posterize image, a very distorded one. And as iv said before this document means nothing to me because it was not included in the official Manual/document of the product...and releasing a document, after a product has gone on sales, saying that it cannot deliver what advertised is fraud. The DJI marketing was 'clever' enough to add PRO after MAVIC as we all know that PRO versions of DJI's drones offer better image quality and more features...and here we get exactly the opposite. As i said i had previous products from DJI that came DOA and i had to spend weeks with support and alot of time wasted. we'll see how far this goes.
2017-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules