Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My Mavic Did Not Return To Home After Losing RC Signal
1234Next >
13773 120 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84957 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-5 18:38
I want to get it sent in to get a new one asap since I have a trip to Indonesia planned for May 1st

Unless the turnaround time for North America has improved recently that might be pushing it a bit, but you do have the advantage of being in California so your Mavic won't have as far to travel as most.

What is your experienced turn around time or what have you heard is the usual turn around time ?
2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-5 19:59
What is your experienced turn around time or what have you heard is the usual turn around time ?

4+ weeks seemed pretty typical a couple of weeks ago, but that was around the time they reportedly got in a big shipment of replacement Mavics  -- which seemed to clear a bit of a logjam of cases -- so it may have improved since then. And that timeframe included some folks on the east coast who had to wait a little longer for the shipping each way because DJI uses UPS ground. Again, it may have gotten better but if you really need a replacement in hand by May 1st I'd get it sent in as soon as possible.
2017-4-6
Use props
daivatam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

nice...glad that you find it...anyway it should not just fall from sky ...no matter the interference...just if was an EM pulse I think it will be a case for replacement under warranty
2017-4-6
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Glad you found it.  I've been watching the posts on your problem and you've been getting sound advice.  

Just as a matter of curiosity.  Now that you have the bird back, could you sync the logs with the bird and post them here.  There may be some additional information that will shed some light on what went on after signal loss.  It may help others in the same boat.
2017-4-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-5 17:32
Alright guys i found it! I f'ing found it! It was about 100-150 feet from the last known gps point. I was out putting up posters around the entire town which isn't too hard since it's a small town, and I was around the corner from the last known location when a guy stopped and read my poster and asked when it was. Told him last Sunday and he said he saw one flying and described the location which was the last known gps point ! He said it just dropped out of the sky. So I went back there with the knowledge that it didn't initiate RTH and was around the Last known GPS point. Did a much more thorough investigation since I knew it was there and found it about 3 feet deep in snow. I'm assuming the antenna that was on the tree must have immediately knocked out the signal since it was very close to the location still. I would like to say how damn durable these things are tho. The gimble is definitely not attached anymore and all the blades are broken, but it still turns on and still tries to initiate flight lol thank you again everyone for the help! It's been a hell of a 3 days.

Hey LMM great job pleased for you, you will have to change your avatar now, I'm sure you will be happy too, let's us know dji's findings on what might have happened, it does help.

Good luck.
2017-4-6
Use props
fans1a06e77c
lvl.3
Flight distance : 429137 ft
Finland

There are cases where people beliewe the battery was not really well connected and the connection got lose. It is possible to put the battery back and only one side is ok and the othes is lose. You can test it with your drone. This is one theory of the case. Anyway it is fine you got it back.
2017-4-6
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-5 17:32
Alright guys i found it! I f'ing found it! It was about 100-150 feet from the last known gps point. I was out putting up posters around the entire town which isn't too hard since it's a small town, and I was around the corner from the last known location when a guy stopped and read my poster and asked when it was. Told him last Sunday and he said he saw one flying and described the location which was the last known gps point ! He said it just dropped out of the sky. So I went back there with the knowledge that it didn't initiate RTH and was around the Last known GPS point. Did a much more thorough investigation since I knew it was there and found it about 3 feet deep in snow. I'm assuming the antenna that was on the tree must have immediately knocked out the signal since it was very close to the location still. I would like to say how damn durable these things are tho. The gimble is definitely not attached anymore and all the blades are broken, but it still turns on and still tries to initiate flight lol thank you again everyone for the help! It's been a hell of a 3 days.

So did this guy get the reward or a portion there of?
2017-4-6
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

4wesomeAdam Posted at 2017-4-6 09:48
So did this guy get the reward or a portion there of?

He didn't find it lol just pointed me in a direction. Not worth $200 lol
2017-4-6
Use props
bud
lvl.1
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 14:22
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/2EY5Z76RXQRVYXQIJMFA/

Hi,
I'm brand new here, but looking at the log i see you (or it) switched from GPS mode to Sport mode:

3m 4.1s  SPORT  16satellites  346.5ft 0ft  5.7mph  1,089.4ft  47%

Is that significant?
Bud
2017-4-9
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

bud Posted at 2017-4-9 08:18
Hi,
I'm brand new here, but looking at the log i see you (or it) switched from GPS mode to Sport mode:

significant in what way ?
2017-4-9
Use props
bud
lvl.1
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-9 09:27
significant in what way ?

That since it suddenly went to sport mode, then, as I understand it, you lose the stability of GPS mode and if you weren't expecting it, then bad things could happen.  Just wondering.
2017-4-9
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

bud Posted at 2017-4-9 10:49
That since it suddenly went to sport mode, then, as I understand it, you lose the stability of GPS mode and if you weren't expecting it, then bad things could happen.  Just wondering.

i put it in sport mode it wasnt suddenly, and i guess it depends on how you are flying it. if your in a tight area i wouldnt suggest it. but if your 100 meters up and turn it into sport mode you wont notice much difference besides the sensitivity and speed of the mavic.
2017-4-9
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

and also i dont believe it switches off of gps mode when you go into sport mode either, but im just a beginner as well so dont take my word as fact lol
2017-4-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Putting it into sport mode has no effect on gps.
2017-4-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-9 10:54
and also i dont believe it switches off of gps mode when you go into sport mode either, but im just a beginner as well so dont take my word as fact lol

No it doesn't, sport mode has nothing to do with gps...
2017-4-9
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

I assume you've already sent your Mavic back to DJI by now. Did you manage to pull the .dat file before sending it? Did you happen to record the serial number?
2017-4-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-11 08:00
I assume you've already sent your Mavic back to DJI by now. Did you manage to pull the .dat file before sending it? Did you happen to record the serial number?

Yes, he already sent it back in hopes of getting a replacement before his trip at the beginning of May:

Turn around times for repair for people who live in califnornia

And no, in his hurry to get a replacement he didn't get the DAT files off first, for which he was given some grief on another forum.
2017-4-11
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-11 08:03
Yes, he already sent it back in hopes of getting a replacement before his trip at the beginning of May:

Turn around times for repair for people who live in califnornia

Oh right. I remember that thread :-)
2017-4-11
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-11 08:28
Oh right. I remember that thread :-)

Yeah, that one. And I feel partly responsible because 1) I was the one who recommended he go there to ask for help and 2) Once he found it I encouraged him to send his recovered Mavic back to DJI quickly in hopes of getting a replacement in time for his trip.
2017-4-11
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

Just got word from dji, the repair is being covered by warranty. So I'm assuming whatever caused the drone to drop from the sky, was some kind of manufacturers defect.
2017-4-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-20 21:37
Just got word from dji, the repair is being covered by warranty. So I'm assuming whatever caused the drone to drop from the sky, was some kind of manufacturers defect.

That's good news, both for you personally and because it's always nice to hear that DJI takes responsibility when it really is a defect. Now the big question is: will they get the replacement to you in time for your trip?
2017-4-21
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-21 05:01
That's good news, both for you personally and because it's always nice to hear that DJI takes responsibility when it really is a defect. Now the big question is: will they get the replacement to you in time for your trip?

Just got an email this morning saying they finished the repairs and it should ship out in 3-4 business days, they said the repair time was going to take 3-4 business days and it only took one. so i think so my man ! i think they have finished moving their facility or having DJI Natalia and DJI Mindy Escalating my case really helped because they have been really on top of things, its been a good experience so far, hopefully i didnt just jinx myself tho hahaha
2017-4-21
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-21 11:04
Just got an email this morning saying they finished the repairs and it should ship out in 3-4 business days, they said the repair time was going to take 3-4 business days and it only took one. so i think so my man ! i think they have finished moving their facility or having DJI Natalia and DJI Mindy Escalating my case really helped because they have been really on top of things, its been a good experience so far, hopefully i didnt just jinx myself tho hahaha

That's cutting it close but sounds promising; good thing it doesn't have to travel far once they send it out.
2017-4-21
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

I'm so sorry to hear about all these problems people are having with Mavic RTH. I don't know if it's first time users or what. I see this is 3 pages in and I have only read your post. I don't care if it was pilot error or not. If it was, and it was 100% proven to be your fault, I will start a promise fund (and see if we can get others) to donate $10 to get you a new one,  It will only take 100 people to do the same to get this man his Mavic back.  I don't know what has happened and maybe you already do but I'm sure there is some rich guy that will even throw in $100 but I have read a lot of lost Mavic stories and I have felt bad on occasion, frustrated at the person on others but I felt pure sadness reading your post. You sound like a great guy. I hope the 3 pages lead to something good but if you are without a Mavic and it was your fault and they are not replacing it, I pledge $10.  I hope others will follow suit if that is the situation.
2017-4-21
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 12:52
I have my RTH set to return. it did after a while prompt me to land. it never said anything about resetting my home point. i have contacted DJI and made a case. if it was a malfunction would i be covered ?

And by the way, I just had to return my Mavic because I had problems with my last one on not being able to set a new dynamic homepoiont which was the purpose for my return.

I SO BADLY want to order another one right now and pick it up from Enjoy today but I am nervous. I don't  want to try and get another return from DJI because they don't like returns and I was able to get one but a second is probably gonna be hard so I came to se if there has been any moment on this homepoint issue that hasn't even been acknowledged and a lot of people don't even understand it somehow,
2017-4-21
Use props
Fractures
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Heres the problem I have with this whole situation. The Mavic per DJI obviously suffered from an unusual malfunction to the point that DJI covered the craft under warranty. BUT if Lostmymavic had not been able to find his drown, which lets admit, he got lucky; then he would have been COMPLETELY F***ed and DJI wouldnt have been able to do anything to help him and he would be out 1300$ after doing absolutely nothing wrong.

This seems like a really risky situation and I cant imagine the frustration of ever finding myself in it. If DJI is going to have stuff like this happened and drones dropping out of the sky for no apparent reason they need to provide the functionality to diagnose these issues without the actual aircraft. The logs kept in the controller need to be detailed enough to prove warranty claims or else other customers face a serious risk of getting completely screwed over.

This is why I think secondary tracking device on the Mavic is PRICELESS but it really shouldnt be necessary.
2017-4-21
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
United States

Your last reading on this one is at 300 feet!

Are you sure this is the right log?

If it is, it stopped recording data or you are in a VERY TALL structure of tree.
Can you do this for me?

Go to itunes, choose DJI GO 4, go to the flightrecords and "choose in finder" or the Windows equivelent and then uncollapse all of the files and folders, and make a screen grab and send me that.  If you do it, PM me and I'll give you the e-mail to send it to.

I want to be sure that you are upping the right and latest record, because it makes no sense.
2017-4-21
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-21 11:29

Yes i am 100% this is the right log
2017-4-21
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-21 11:29

it did stop recording data. i never regained RC signal after loosing it. i luckily found it because a stranger told me he saw it flying at the last point on my GPS while i was putting up posters
2017-4-21
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-21 11:24
I'm so sorry to hear about all these problems people are having with Mavic RTH. I don't know if it's first time users or what. I see this is 3 pages in and I have only read your post. I don't care if it was pilot error or not. If it was, and it was 100% proven to be your fault, I will start a promise fund (and see if we can get others) to donate $10 to get you a new one,  It will only take 100 people to do the same to get this man his Mavic back.  I don't know what has happened and maybe you already do but I'm sure there is some rich guy that will even throw in $100 but I have read a lot of lost Mavic stories and I have felt bad on occasion, frustrated at the person on others but I felt pure sadness reading your post. You sound like a great guy. I hope the 3 pages lead to something good but if you are without a Mavic and it was your fault and they are not replacing it, I pledge $10.  I hope others will follow suit if that is the situation.

I found it and it was covered by warranty. but thats a nice thought
2017-4-21
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-21 11:28
And by the way, I just had to return my Mavic because I had problems with my last one on not being able to set a new dynamic homepoiont which was the purpose for my return.

I SO BADLY want to order another one right now and pick it up from Enjoy today but I am nervous. I don't  want to try and get another return from DJI because they don't like returns and I was able to get one but a second is probably gonna be hard so I came to se if there has been any moment on this homepoint issue that hasn't even been acknowledged and a lot of people don't even understand it somehow,

i actually saw that post, did they cover it under warranty? and are you still having those problems ?
2017-4-21
Use props
CelticWarrior
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-21 11:24

If you just read 3 posts up he got sorted, not his fault good on dji.
2017-4-21
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-21 11:42
i actually saw that post, did they cover it under warranty? and are you still having those problems ?

It's been diagnosed, returned and refunded easily. The problem existed and was found on day 1 so it was relatively easy and they treat me nice.
2017-4-22
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-21 11:44
If you just read 3 posts up he got sorted, not his fault good on dji.

Hell yeah!
2017-4-22
Use props
Tealk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

i tink next time there will be no next time...

Read the manuals
and
Read this 5 Ways to Prevent Flyaways

and dont fly in the city, there are to many antena signals that can kill a drone

Fly Safe
2017-4-22
Use props
LostMyMavic
lvl.3
United States

Tealk Posted at 2017-4-22 23:52
i tink next time there will be no next time...

Read the manuals

This wasnt a city, it was a town full of about 5000. barely even a town. and if you read the thread, it says DJI found a defect in the drone and payed for a replacement. wasnt my fault or an antenna.
2017-4-24
Use props
fansb02f8098
New
Flight distance : 13297 ft
Brazil

Hi

Hello
Good afternoon
I'm trying to do my first flight, however I can't enable the return to home.
Fly normally and he is not able to identify the GPS signal. Is it because I'm taking off near tall buildings?
Push for him to identify the location of the GPS and I can't
Could you help me?
Thank you
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI User640
New
Flight distance : 13297 ft
Brazil

Hello
Good afternoon
I'm trying to do my first flight, however I can't enable the return to home.
Fly normally and he is not able to identify the GPS signal. Is it because I'm taking off near tall buildings?
Push for him to identify the location of the GPS and I can't
Could you help me?
Thank you
2018-2-25
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

https://www.reddit.com/r/drones/ ... le_scuba_diving_in/
Not your Mavic is it?
2018-8-14
Use props
Quade
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Canada

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-3 12:52
Have you heard of many cases where they actually found a malfunction and covered it?

yes mine was covered by Main Data Controller issue...crashed but was indoors going extremely slow.
2018-8-15
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules