(SOLVED) Weird battery since firmware update
1844 22 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

After firmware update and IMU calibration i noticed something weird... I noticed discharge time was 8 days, so changed it to 5.. during flight it now says "discharging in storage' in the battery details bit.. was fine right after firmware for drone and battery, so either IMU calibration of changing the discharge time seems to have brought this issue. Battery has around 10 charges as I recall.
DJI GO 4_20170403_195750.png
2017-4-3
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Anyone? I've tried a second battery and in status details it simply says 'nothing'. I'm wary to change the discharge time in case it's causing an issue. Does it think the battery is in storage, or simply telling me what it will do when in storage?
2017-4-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, did you get any battery error message from DJI GO app?
And please check the battery status page.
If there's nothing wrong then you don't need to worry about the status details.
2017-4-4
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree with Mindy but I've never seen this one.  Most importantly like Mindy says, make sure your birds IMU and compass is showing all systems go.  Definitely be careful on your first flight,  maybe even cycle one of the batteries..  I would roll back your firmware update, and try the update once more with a secure connection if that doesn't work.   Good luck man
2017-4-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The picture you provided is pretty pixelated when I attempt to enlarge it, could you happen to provide a bigger picture file? To add to what Mindy provided, have you also tried resetting the unit to factory defaults in the Assistant 2 software to see if it helps? Which Go app version are you running? Could you verify the firmware version you're on as well?
2017-4-4
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

Batteries are the heart and soul of your UAVs ,letting the batteries sit is the worst for them,Discharge and recharge before every trip
2017-4-4
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'll try get a better pic tomorrow, battery status says discharging in storage... Which is weird, as the battery is in the drone. Status says charged 16 times. It showed status 'nothing' but discharge on previous page showed as 8 days. I changed it to lower value then got this. I'm on latest firmware and each battery also was updated last week. Drone says ready to fly and other two batteries have status as 'nothing'. This only happened after firmware upgrade.
2017-4-5
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Oh and dji go 4 latest version. Why would factory reset change anything when the other batteries show okay? Batteries usually set at lower discharge period and stored at 20-60%. Surely 16 charges (99% health) the battery should be okay and again why this only after upgrade? Dare I set the other batteries to 3 day discharge after this?
2017-4-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

calls4u2 Posted at 2017-4-5 15:46
Oh and dji go 4 latest version. Why would factory reset change anything when the other batteries show okay? Batteries usually set at lower discharge period and stored at 20-60%. Surely 16 charges (99% health) the battery should be okay and again why this only after upgrade? Dare I set the other batteries to 3 day discharge after this?

A factory reset while having that battery connected might help clear out the message. There is a chance that the firmware update didn't load properly, in which case reapplying the firmware might help as well.
2017-4-5
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Can the battery firmware be downgraded/reupgraded though? What's the current process for factory reset and will i need to re pair the controller? Controller is on 1.6 as 1.8 have me check constant loss of video. Didn't fly over the winter then upgraded firmware last week, when did the most recent p4 firmware come out as I see other battery issues re: firmware in some threads from Jan. I hear there is a new firmware coming this week, is it worth waiting of should I downgrade/reset now?
2017-4-5
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Other point to note is i upgraded firmware using the app this time around.
2017-4-5
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Latest DJI Assistant 2 - Did a factory reset and now doing a refresh of firmware. Update Complete!
I did the update with a battery known to not show this issue so in a minute I'll swap batteries and see what happens...
By the way, no option to downgrade firmware as suggested in the DJI Assistant (Is there one via the app?)
As an observation I noted that on a refresh of firmware the P4 didn't seem to go the way an upgrade does, i.e never noticed gimble dance etc. The P4 also didn't seem to restart at the end as I'm used to (I'm guessing refresh doesn't risk rewriting the bootloader so doesn't need restart?) I'm pullinf off the .dat files from internal in case something goes wrong following advice!

And... the battery still shows the same behaviour :/

APP version 4.0.5Aircraft Firmware 01.02.0602
App database 00.00.01.04

IMG_20170406_152520.jpg
2017-4-6
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-5 16:41
A factory reset while having that battery connected might help clear out the message. There is a chance that the firmware update didn't load properly, in which case reapplying the firmware might help as well.

Ahh, I need to learn to read, I did the factory reset with a different battery (for safety reasons!) I'll try that now.

Have replied to you in this thread - Maybe I should have clicked REPLY instead ;) Thanks for your help this far... But still the problem continues..edit: After having a little time to google it, there are a handful of people with the same thing, all of which are after this current firmware version was released, is there a way to force another battery update? I'm currently letting the battery discharge to see if that resets things. Pretty crazy that we can no longer roll back firmware but I see numerous posts about that too.

So what next? If the allowing the battery to discharge fails to fix it. It's getting on for 12 months since I purchased by p4, but after 15 charges (and I think it's less!), and the fact that a firmware upgrade seems to be the cause, and that these batteries are expensive... ?
2017-4-6
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I had my batteries in room temperature all winter discharging in a 7 day period.  I think I charged them twice during the winter.  So far so good, they are both operating when I connected them to my P4 for the first time in 5 months.

But, I AINT upgrading a thing.  I think I will stay with my RC 1.6  APP 3.0.1 and craft 01.02.05

The only issue I had was that I had to use custom HD mode, in order the maintain good streaming video.

Any good reason to upgrade firmware, app?
2017-4-6
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

About the same here Icarus, aside from the firmware upgrades i did. I've deleted the battery all the way and hoping charging will now clear the status. I'm going this new firmware comes out soon as maybe i have no choice but to update battery firmware to clear this.
2017-4-6
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

And predictive text is a pain!
2017-4-6
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Dave Kent Posted at 2017-4-4 10:22
Batteries are the heart and soul of your UAVs ,letting the batteries sit is the worst for them,Discharge and recharge before every trip

Letting the batteries sit fully charged or discharged is the worst you can do for them. They are quite happy resting at 3.85V per cell (15.4V battery or 50% capacity) or close to that goldilocks figure for an extended period.
2017-4-6
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Quamera Posted at 2017-4-6 23:44
Letting the batteries sit fully charged or discharged is the worst you can do for them. They are quite happy resting at 3.85V per cell (15.4V battery or 50% capacity) or close to that goldilocks figure for an extended period.

I don't let them sit fully charged or discharged, the lowest they ever get is just below the 30% warning, the highest - during the 12 hours up to a flight is 100%. I usually top them up when I arrive home and let self discharge do it's thing (I've varied this between 3 and 7 days). All batteries were stored over the winter and came out of it with 2 and a half lights.

Usually I'd have the self discharge feature set but after the update it had different values to the ones I'd previously remembered setting (I assumed some default had been put in). At that point the battery appeared okay in details. After CHANGING the discharge number to a lower value is when I noticed the 'self-discharge in storage' message. It seems odd that the app would even have such a message since clearly the battery is powering the birds so isn't in storage. I even considered it was 'purely information' and was just telling me what the battery is programmed to do currently. I've NOT tried changing the discharge days on the other batteries yet, as quite frankly I'm worried!

The battery itself seems to last a LONG time (took hours to discharge yesterday in the quad (on the table with NO motors running - taking video and lights on)). Temps reached 33c, discharged fine and recharged as it should.

The battery is now charged back to 4 lights but I'm yet to get a chance to check the battery status.

If anyone else has any ideas in the meantime that would be good, I'd especially like to hear more info/advice from DJI. (I'd also love them to bring out the new firmware so it reflashes the batteries just in case!)

I'm guessing that the battery with the message is the one that was in when I did the firmware update, the other two batteries updated as they were meant to when I powered the drone on next so maybe PART of the update process didn't go right (even though it said it did!). Now when I try a 'refresh' it checks the battery firmware is up to date then ignores it. That's my educated assumption anyway!
2017-4-7
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Problem resolved after FULL discharge and recharge of the
2017-4-7
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am glad it worked for you.

In my case, after a 5 month hibernation, I plan to leave everything as they were last year.
I am not updating anything.

The way I see it is it worked for me last year, why take chance and mess it up by updating?

I wish there was a way to take away the prompt to upgrade, because I may hit it by mistake?
2017-4-7
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yeah, so many times I've wishes of not upgraded, but I'm in the technology business myself and *usually* an upgrade fixes, enhances or makes the product more stable. I do wonder sometimes with dji. I mainly upgraded as i read the battery update was an enhanced hibernation thing, and my drone had been packed away since Oct or Nov due to 16 hour workdays and English weather! Also though, after all this time bugs should be ironed out, these machines are great, dji have a great product, but it's just down by poor software testing, documentation, changelogs and communication. Hopefully this thread will help someone else. I have now conversed with someone over on another site, who had done the same as me to fix it.
2017-4-7
Use props
Dave Kent
lvl.2
United States

calls4u2 Posted at 2017-4-7 03:41
I don't let them sit fully charged or discharged, the lowest they ever get is just below the 30% warning, the highest - during the 12 hours up to a flight is 100%. I usually top them up when I arrive home and let self discharge do it's thing (I've varied this between 3 and 7 days). All batteries were stored over the winter and came out of it with 2 and a half lights.

Usually I'd have the self discharge feature set but after the update it had different values to the ones I'd previously remembered setting (I assumed some default had been put in). At that point the battery appeared okay in details. After CHANGING the discharge number to a lower value is when I noticed the 'self-discharge in storage' message. It seems odd that the app would even have such a message since clearly the battery is powering the birds so isn't in storage. I even considered it was 'purely information' and was just telling me what the battery is programmed to do currently. I've NOT tried changing the discharge days on the other batteries yet, as quite frankly I'm worried!

Thanks for the great response-reply! There's a after market battery discharger unit you can buy also.
I have to apologize at this time I don't know the make or model off hand, a friend of mine bought one and he stated it works okay. Good Luck.
2017-4-10
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dave Kent Posted at 2017-4-10 10:36
Thanks for the great response-reply! There's a after market battery discharger unit you can buy also.
I have to apologize at this time I don't know the make or model off hand, a friend of mine bought one and he stated it works okay. Good Luck.

Discharging in the bird worked, mind it idled for HOURS... Afterwards a full charge and the the battery shows fine in the details section. I could have made something to discharge the battery, but decided it had to be better to let it discharge 'naturally' as probably better for the battery as it was designed.

I've noticed an oddity with 'number of times charged' on the batteries though, mine went from 16 to 15 then back to 16 again (17 now after the full discharge/recharge). I've also yet to check if it's still showing full lifetime ma, or whether that's changed. IMU etc recalibrated and everything good on the test flight.
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules