public safety video encryption
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

How difficult it is for anyone to hack the DJI lightbridge video transmission? I am asking on behalf of a law enforcement agency who's looking at a M600....
2017-4-3
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I am going to say pretty difficult but not impossible  the  video signal  is sent over known frequencies  but I know they have encryption .     But dont have the exact specs, perhaps send a message to member Dr Jon . or perhaps another member can chime in with more information .

donnie
2017-4-4
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Anything can be possible if someone has a lot of time on their hands, but there has not been any reports of anyone being able to hack it and from what I understand it would be quite difficult.

I would say the only potential "compromise" could be someone hacking the phone more so than the drone itself, but that's speculation on my end.
2017-4-4
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-4 16:37
Anything can be possible if someone has a lot of time on their hands, but there has not been any reports of anyone being able to hack it and from what I understand it would be quite difficult.

I would say the only potential "compromise" could be someone hacking the phone more so than the drone itself, but that's speculation on my end.

Thank you both for the replies, am not a techie but I have difficulty believing anyone will have the motivation,  time and know-how to tap into a DJI video signal from a police UAV on what will likely be a short-term incident.
2017-4-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2017-4-5 10:28
Thank you both for the replies, am not a techie but I have difficulty believing anyone will have the motivation,  time and know-how to tap into a DJI video signal from a police UAV on what will likely be a short-term incident.

Where there's a will there's a way, but most normally don't have the 'will' to begin with.
2017-4-5
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-5 15:12
Where there's a will there's a way, but most normally don't have the 'will' to begin with.

Yeap. After 32 years in policing I have serious doubts on the average IQ of most criminals. I'm afraid PDs get too hung up (probably egged on by the IT geeks) on the terrorist angle and the myth of the "master criminal genius." we  see on TV.  

Not sure that the signals encryption requirements needed at NYPD or the London Metropolitan Police are necessary to the Nowhere, Arizona agency which just wants a UAV and a FLIR to search for missing persons and bad guys.
2017-4-5
Use props
Phantom-Paul 7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2551634 ft
Australia

Just about anything is possible given enough time and/or money .
I am sure if there was money to be made from it someone would crack it but....For the short periods a DJI drone is in the air and the very little there is to see  why would you bother ?
Hopefully the bad folk have other things to keep them selves occupied.
2017-5-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2017-4-5 15:36
Yeap. After 32 years in policing I have serious doubts on the average IQ of most criminals. I'm afraid PDs get too hung up (probably egged on by the IT geeks) on the terrorist angle and the myth of the "master criminal genius." we  see on TV.  

Not sure that the signals encryption requirements needed at NYPD or the London Metropolitan Police are necessary to the Nowhere, Arizona agency which just wants a UAV and a FLIR to search for missing persons and bad guys.

Hi LP

Seems that most criminals would not think about hacking a video signal... But, I do not think like they do. I agree with Jamie, it would be difficult but not impossible.

Tanks for posting this interesting thread
Rich
2017-5-28
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie,    Your starting to look a lot better these days.       : )
2017-6-2
Use props
djiuser_TJfAdrUUpytp
New

Australia

It is beyond easy - the signals are not encrypted (contrary to what DJI says) or you can simply buy the DJI AeroScope kit to track everything about them easily.
2022-8-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules