How to charge a Mavic Pro battery while on a motorcycle?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CynicalZombie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 179813 ft
United States

One of the main reasons I bought the Mavic Pro instead of the Phantom 4 Pro was due to its portability. I can throw the fly more bag into my saddle bag and away I go. Currently I have the ability to charge my iPhone and GoPro batteries while riding by using an Anker PowerCore 20100 from Amazon. I had hoped I would be able to do the same with a Mavic battery. But as I understand it, I can't charge Mavic batteries by USB. That is unfortunate. Since I bought the Fly More package I do have the car charger so I'm covered if I'm driving but I'm looking for a portable solution to charge a Mavic battery out in the field with my bike.

Any ideas?

On Reddit someone suggested a 12v power adapter.  I'm far from an expert on batteries but the fact that the Mavic batteries can't be charged via USB (can someone explain why?) and the manual for the car charger states... "Use the car charger when the engine is running to attain optimal performance" tells me that even though the battery is only about 900 mAh larger than my iPhone 7 Plus battery, it must use more power or something to charge the mavic battery.
Any battery experts here?

2017-4-5
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

Why could you not bring the A/C charger and charge it at a Starbucks, or hotel room for example?

From my understanding motorcycle batteries only recharge if the engine is running at approximately 4k or 5k rpms. I use a battery tender for my bike's battery.

If you are drawing off your motorcycle battery in excess of what the engine can charge it, you are risking not being able to start the bike.

I suggest using a portable battery with a d/c car adapter where you could connect the DJI D/C charger.
2017-4-5
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

Wire in a 12v outlet in to your battery.....(cigarette lighter plug) you can buy them at any auto parts. Then just use the car charger.
2017-4-5
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

jreynolds5 Posted at 2017-4-5 10:18
Wire in a 12v outlet in to your battery.....(cigarette lighter plug) you can buy them at any auto parts. Then just use the car charger.

This is what I did also. I charge my Mavic battery as I ride.
2017-4-5
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

At 6 amp draw I don't think the motorcyle charge system will have any issues.
2017-4-5
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

I was gonna say the same, have 12v cigarette plug installed and then use the car adapter. although Im not sure how long/far you will be riding. It may be more practical to stop some where for lunch and charge it or as always Id say a spare battery is the easiest to deal with.
2017-4-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

How big the bike is will have something to do with your success due to wattage of the charging system.  Bikes used to have pretty weak electrical systems.  Also look at how long it will take to charge your battery.  Watthours = volts times current times time in hours.
2017-4-5
Use props
Aerial Gopher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331906 ft
Canada

Check out what I did, worked for hiking..  just replace shoes with wheels.  I never worked with motorcycle charging systems so I don't know the amount the alternator can put out, but 6 amps is not much.  Remember, the mavic charger is funny... your bike will probably have to be running for it to be at a high enough voltage for the OEM charger to charge.  But I wouldn't want to charge the mavic battery's with a small motorcycle battery when its not being charged since its so small capacity wise, and you probably don't want to be stranded.

My set up.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-90801-1-1.html
2017-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules