Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P2 pitched over and crashed without warning!
607 0 2017-4-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pocket Sized
lvl.1

United States

I was hovering it at eye level in GPS mode in my front yard. It had been performing flawlessly in all 3 modes up until the moment of the incident.

I stabilized it in front of me and reached out to practice grabbing it with my right hand. I usually do this by placing 4 fingers on the bottom of the drone and gripping above the battery with my thumb, then performing the shutdown CSC with with my left thumb and chin. The moment my right forefinger touched the bottom of the drone, it pitched forward and crashed into the grass. The battery flew out, but there was no damage to it or the quad.

I know it's not safe to grab the drone out of the air (especially in GPS mode) But there were a few unsettling things about the way it crashed.

1. This was not your standard compass/GPS failure. It didn't begin an attempt to change position, it just pitched forward (past 90 degrees!) until it hit the ground.

2. It didn't throttle up to try to maintain altitude as it pitched over, in fact there was no noticeable change in prop noise other than the initial "kick" that sent it forward.

Neither of these are consistent with GPS mode control laws at all, which leads me to believe it was caused by a deep rooted fault in the control board. It behaved as if I pushed the right stick fully forward in manual mode. Not good.

I did a quick hover to check if it still worked then put it up for the night. I haven't flown it since then. I don't plan on doing any serious flying until I manage to shed some light on what went wrong.

The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that the drone picked up a bit of static charge while it was flying and discharged when I touched it. Does the P2 have a data log I could look at?

Additional info:
Drone was configured in "Naza M" mode with default gains, IOC off, and in GPS mode.
Battery was about 30%, warning set to 15%.
There were no stick or throttle inputs being made when it pitched forward, my right hand was off the controller.
Conditions: slightly warm, dry air, no appreciable wind.
I performed a "quick" IMU calibration earlier that day after a pilot induced crash. (The software said the IMU was fine but I did the calibration anyway)

I also posted this on r/drones but have yet to receive any responses. Has anyone here had a similar experience?
2017-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules