Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[FAA] Security Sensitive Flight Restrictions
2113 16 2017-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just received from FAA:

The  Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has established airspace  restrictions over 133 military facilities to address national security  concerns about unauthorized drone operations. The  specific restricted locations are detailed in a Notice to Airmen  (NOTAM) – UAS NOTAM FDC 7/7137, and may be viewed online via an interactive map here (http://uas-faa.opendata.arcgis.com/).

The  Agency is using its existing authority under Title 14 of the Code of  Federal Regulations (14 CFR) § 99.7 – Special Security Instructions – to  establish these restrictions. The relief provided under § 99.7 is  limited to requests from the Department of Defense and U.S. federal  security and intelligence agencies based on national security interests.

U.S.  military facilities are considered “sensitive” as they are vital to the  nation’s security. The FAA and the Department of Defense have agreed to  restrict drone flights up to 400 feet within the facility’s lateral  boundaries. There are only a few exceptions that permit drone flights  within these restrictions, and they must be coordinated with the  individual facility and/or the FAA. The restrictions are effective on April 14, 2017.

Operators  who violate the airspace restrictions may be subject to enforcement  action, including potential civil penalties and criminal charges.
For more information about these restrictions, including frequently asked questions, please visit the FAA’s UAS website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions/).

2017-4-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I would think that's fair you can't be to careful when protecting the military.
2017-4-7
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-7 08:40
I would think that's fair you can't be to careful when protecting the military.

Agreed. I live a few minutes from Ft. Hood (Texas), so we are accustomed to steering/flying clear of the base and training areas in the region.
2017-4-7
Use props
trance728-
First Officer
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't see what this actually changes, we already can't fly above 400 feet regardless of being near a military base.
2017-4-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

trance728- Posted at 2017-4-7 09:02
Don't see what this actually changes, we already can't fly above 400 feet regardless of being near a military base.

The FAA and the Department of Defense have agreed to  restrict drone flights up to 400 feet within the facility’s lateral  boundaries.
2017-4-7
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You misread. This has nothing to do with height/elevation.
2017-4-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Wow!  It takes a while to load, but once it does, it's the most comprehensive and detailed online map I've ever seen.  

https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 8e19806ebf6a06754ad
2017-4-7
Use props
Grizz 1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

very nice map for the USA, very informative
2017-4-7
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I like that once you zoom in enough it marks (with an orange triangle) every spot named "mountain" along with its height. Could be nice spots to fly to/from. I assume there are other maps that do the same though.
2017-4-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-7 14:41
I like that once you zoom in enough it marks (with an orange triangle) every spot named "mountain" along with its height. Could be nice spots to fly to/from. I assume there are other maps that do the same though.

Aloha Grind,

Last night I noticed the email but put it off till morning.  About noon I got to it and was let down by a lack of detail that can be seen in other FAA charts.  Then I read that this Internet media is actually to be used as an interface for UAS operators and the military needs of our regions.  My 5 mile boundary to Marine Corps Air Station was not even noted, but according to what I read, it will be noted during heightened security periods - and boy do we have those.  We have North Korea over guys!  But, we have Barking Sands on Kauai to.

This interactive chart is independent of our FAA airfield charts.  This Internet chart indicates military facilities and other sensitive areas we have to stay out of.

Anyway, it is a really good chart and I like that it is not cluttered with the airport rings.  You can see more with less distraction.  I hope you all realize this was done for us drone operators because communication is very important.

Aloha and Drone On!

2017-4-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha trance,

Turn it on its side, lateral.  For us over here around Kaneohe Bay, we have a standing 500 foot boundary we have to stay outside of and that is independent of the airfield rings.  This notice lets you inside of the boundary for 400 feet.  I guess then they will shut down your bird if you get closer.  Not all the facilities with the boundaries are airfields.  Some are, but this ignores the airfield separate regulations.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-7 09:15
The FAA and the Department of Defense have agreed to  restrict drone flights up to 400 feet within the facility’s lateral  boundaries.

Aloha Mark,

This interactive chart also is independent of our FAA airfield charts.  The military facilities that are noted on this chart may not even have an airfield but you still got to stay out.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-4-7
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-4-7 22:53
Aloha Grind,

Last night I noticed the email but put it off till morning.  About noon I got to it and was let down by a lack of detail that can be seen in other FAA charts.  Then I read that this Internet media is actually to be used as an interface for UAS operators and the military needs of our regions.  My 5 mile boundary to Marine Corps Air Station was not even noted, but according to what I read, it will be noted during heightened security periods - and boy do we have those.  We have North Korea over guys!  But, we have Barking Sands on Kauai to.

Yes, I agree. It's better they keep us informed of changes than it would be to leave us in the dark. Now, we can clearly know what what rules we're breaking BEFORE the shut us down. Just kidding!
2017-4-8
Use props
Morg66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68980 ft
United States

If you are near enough to an area near one of the TFR's, does the unlock area change and keep you from taking off? (just curious as I don't live close to any of these areas)
2017-4-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

It shouldn't since this is FAA and not DJI.  DJI could always add more NFZs later though
2017-4-9
Use props
Morg66
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68980 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-4-9 08:59
It shouldn't since this is FAA and not DJI.  DJI could always add more NFZs later though

thank you!
2017-4-9
Use props
djordan2
First Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

I got that email from the FAA last week.  I was a little apprehensive at first.  I thought maybe I had violated some airspace restriction, and was being duly notified.  After all, I do live only 10 miles from an Edwards AFB restricted area.  I was going to make a post on the forum to see if anybody else got a similar email.  This post answered that question.  I was able to open the map in my computer.  It is the best map I've seen so far.

2017-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules