Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ouch ouch ouch...
12Next >
9434 62 2015-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Abe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

See this beautiful dish (link below)? That's the Stanford SETI Dish that I flew over today. Unfortunately, while having a perfectly awesome flight, I flew too close to the center tower in the dish and the collision resulted in my Inspire crashing into the dish. Which is where it sits right now. Talking to extraterrestrials.

Now to figure out how to get it back. I've sent emails to the engineering department at Stanford and SRI (who I believe operates the dish), but of course it's not totally clear who actually can go into the dish to retrieve my Inspire.

If any of you know someone from SRI or Stanford University that can help me recover it, I'd very much appreciate your help. I'm quite sure it will be damaged and going back for repairs, unfortunately. But first I have to get it back.

This is quite the hobby we have here!

http://www.abekleinfeld.com/imag ... 0Dish%202-28-15.jpg
2015-2-28
Use props
snathla
Captain
Flight distance : 4803983 ft
  • >>>
United States

Too close, hope the dish did not get damaged, that may be very costly for you.
2015-2-28
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

wow, that really sucks! Pushing limits can get you in trouble, but those are the risks we take! Hope you get it back in one piece, or pieces at the very least!
2015-2-28
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

snathla@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-1 13:51
Too close, hope the dish did not get damaged, that may be very costly for you.

I'm quite sure it just hit the hard metal post -- I doubt it even left a mark. The Inspire on the other hand...
2015-2-28
Use props
Colonel Angus
Second Officer

United States

Id be frantic!!
Cant wait to hear the outcome on this close encounter..Real close!!
2015-2-28
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-1 15:08
Id be frantic!!
Cant wait to hear the outcome on this close encounter..Real close!!

I had to walk about a mile uphill to get to the spot where I flew from. It was a very strange and disorienting feeling to walk that mile back to my car without the aircraft, knowing exactly where it was but not being able to recover it.
2015-3-1
Use props
Colonel Angus
Second Officer

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-1 16:05
I had to walk about a mile uphill to get to the spot where I flew from. It was a very strange and  ...

Absolutely a horrible scenario.... Was there any video?
Monday 1st thing be at that site coffee in hand!
2015-3-1
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

I feel for you!  I worry about this every flight!

Keep us informed and best of luck on a painless and damage free return!
2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-1 16:10
Monday 1st thing be at that site coffee in ...

I was 7 minutes into shooting video when the "incident" occurred. When/if I get it back, it should make for interesting viewing.
2015-3-1
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.4

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-1 16:10
Monday 1st thing be at that site coffee in ...

I agree with Angus on this.   Coffee and a dozen donuts would not hurt.   Really sorry to hear about this.  I was thinking about situational awareness as I read your post and it hit me, SETI, huge satellite dish, yeah - I would have been lost in the moment too.

Let us know how it works out and good luck.

p.s.  if you haven't named your bird yet, may I sugest: ET, SETI, Contact, 'Little guy'?

-David

2015-3-1
Use props
CrabHawk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh my friend what the heck were you thinking?
2015-3-1
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.4

Canada

I agree with CrabHawk...Great idea but it is somebody elses property...If you would have taken the time to ask the owners first you just might have your I1 back by now . Coffee and donuts after the fact may not be enough.
2015-3-1
Use props
vonbaron1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes,  that does not do our hobby any good.  Hope that dish is just for listening and not transmitting as the rf or whatever could fry your bird and overpower your signal.
2015-3-1
Use props
ElliotTeskey
lvl.3

Mexico

This is large multi million dollar government funded facility.  I have to unload here.  Your actions are grossly irresponsible.  It is people like you who will eventually have this wonderful pastime legislated into oblivion.
I hope you don't get your bird back and if I was with the FAA I would have you well fixed in my cross hairs.
2015-3-1
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Abe,

Were you insured ??

2015-3-1
Use props
dennis
lvl.4
United States

Great work.... Give the press and the government more reasons to ban our hobby.  Way to go !!!
2015-3-1
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to agree with Elliot, these are the types of things that bring bad publicity to our Sport / Hobby. The FAA is just looking for ways to shut down our way of life. I hope you get it back from Stanford's crew, but please think before you fly into areas you shouldn't go because it will ruin it all of us.

2015-3-1
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.4

United States

I've been noodling on this awhile after reading some of the posts.   Hard to say what I would have done while in the moment.  What I mean is that I love technology, space, science, etc.    Would I have flown into a dish?  No - off to the side, with a nice angle into the dish? Yes.   Easy to comment from the cheap seats in the comfort of my own home.   My fear is that you may be in for a whirlwind of issues if the operators decide to turn this south.  You have a ~100 watt Lipo sitting in their reflector,  Government funded site, and God forbid the media gets a hold of this story.   

Sorry - not to be an alarmist but wow.  Yes - major F*&@ up on judgement.  

I'd get there really early Monday AM and catch the first person you can and pray it doesn't escalate.

Wish you well - please keep us posted.  

2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Well, first of all, it is a park open to the public, and I waited until late in the day when there wouldn't be a lot of people around. A park ranger drove by as I was flying and waved. The public walking trail runs within 50 feet of the structure. It's an old dish made in the 1960's that listens for alien life. Not a top secret government installation. I wasn't flying "into" the dish, I was flying above and around.it. On one circuit, I thought I had the aircraft well above the tower, but unfortunately not quite high enough. If I had actually tried to hit it, I'd have probably missed 10 times out of 10. Just bad luck. It's hard to judge distance when you're on the ground and the aircraft is a couple of hundred feet in the air. I'm not blaming anyone but myself. But this is not the event that will destroy the hobby.
2015-3-1
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.4

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-2 01:15
Well, first of all, it is a park open to the public, and I waited until late in the day when there w ...

"Flying into the dish" - you're right - I was assuming - sorry.

I hear you regarding the 1960s.  If it's still in operation, I believe age would not be a factor.  Things cost money to operate... you know the drill.

Anyway - Please keep us posted.  

2015-3-1
Use props
greg7140

United States

I am just going to only interject one thing here...since the popularity of multi rotors continues to expound exponentially due to the ease of flight.  A vast majority of owners are new pilots that have not been involved in the hobby before and thus may not ever think that what a single individual does can spill on down to every one in the hobby.

Although a lot of the info below is great knowledge for pilots from any country, it is especially tailored for those that live in the USA that need to fly within the rules and regulations of the AMA and FAA.

I think everyone should at least read through the below website as it is good info pertaining to safety, etc...

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/

Everyone is entitled to their own views about what he or she feels is "safe"...but please use common sense as your actions DO effect all of us in this hobby.

2015-3-1
Use props
jhogge
lvl.3

United States

"I wasn't flying "into" the dish, I was flying above and around.it."

If that was true your drone would not be inside the dish. Sorry.

National parks are also open to the public and due to irresponsible drone operators it is now illegal to fly a drone in any of them.

Please be careful people and use some common sense. There are people eager to take events like this and legislate this hobby into oblivion.
2015-3-1
Use props
pops52
lvl.3

United States

Not good for the hobby.
2015-3-1
Use props
franknesss
lvl.1

United States

Abe,

This is  your first drone, is it not?
2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Everyone has their opinion and is entitled to it. So I won't try to change anyone's mind. But here are some facts. I have been flying RC for decades, and DJI Phantoms for the past year. It's easy to make judgements of responsibility or irresponsibility after something goes wrong. But the fact is I was trying to be responsible. I wasn't flying in any way that would put people at risk. I wasn't flying where it wasn't allowed. I researched the area looking for any rules on RC flying in the area and found none. This is not a National Park. I wasn't flying outside my line of sight. I was flying below 400 feet. The only property damaged, if any, is my own.

In contrast, I've watched people post videos flying over highways, highly populated neighborhoods, above the clouds and clearly outside line of sight. I've seen videos of these aircraft flying in tight indoor spaces with people all around. We've all seen inexperienced people fly into garage doors, trees and just about everything else within seconds of takeoff. Sometimes I think only half the people buying these aircraft have read the manual.

I embraced this hobby to capture video of many of my favorite places from an entirely new perspective. And I've been doing so with little to no damage or risk to others, as responsibly as I can think to be knowing full well that something can go wrong and if it does I won't hurt anyone. Before you pass judgement, remember that the moment your aircraft leaves the ground, there is risk. You are being irresponsible in someone's eyes. Even if you only fly in your backyard.
2015-3-1
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why in the world would you ever want to do that! Your Inspire has a new home. To have a Tech remove that will cost you more than you can imagine. They are going to have to set up a Crane and lower someone down to retrieve it. You can't just climb up there and walk down into it with out causing damage. Don't blame this on DJI they have nothing to do with this. I don't know if you know how a dish works?  The device at the end of the three supports is a low noise amplifier (LNA) The Dish receives the signal and then reflects it to the LNA. What your Inspire received in the way of an RF Signal could be very devastating and scrambles it brain if not fry it all together. You may want to go in the witness protection program and grab a new identity and leave Dodge.
2015-3-1
Use props
arunmehta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

how about sending another Inspire one to rescue the fallen bird...with a long rope and hook BEFORE they open on monday..jk
2015-3-1
Use props
Prop-Lock Girl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2419163 ft
Germany

A nightmare scenario. Sorry to hear that.
I always say don't look behind girls when flying...

P.L.G.
2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-2 02:45
Why in the world would you ever want to do that! Your Inspire has a new home. To have a Tech remove  ...

There are stairs that go up into the dish. No cranes required. I'm sure dead birds and all kinds of stuff falls in regularly. What I'm more worried about is getting anyone to actually return my calls/emails.
2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

franknesss Posted at 2015-3-2 02:30
Abe,

This is  your first drone, is it not?

Not my first drone. Nor my first rodeo.
2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

darmino Posted at 2015-3-2 03:12
Nice picture Abe!,  When you get your Inspire back be sure to post the video. I can understand how p ...

Thank you, darmino.
2015-3-1
Use props
Colonel Angus
Second Officer

United States

Please!!
Lay off the Hammering of Abe he is one of the good guys here!! He was in a public access area and this is not his first rodeo !
This was just a simple mistake lets not bash our buddy who came to us and said I f 'D up.
Were better than that as a community as we know things will happen we need to support one another.
I've seen high altitude videos and pics that are  clearly illegal in the USA pass thru the mill as of late with but nothing but praise..
Abe felt bad enough, no need to lecture him on this issue IMO.

Abe a box of donuts and a few coffee and you bird I bet is back in your hands !!

Good luck to you bud!
2015-3-1
Use props
mkell7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

I feel for you Abe, after after having my own inspire clip a steel cable that I thought I was clear of, the sheer joy of flying these things can be over in a second. I was able to recover mine, as it collided with cable and then hit the ground. I'm waiting to hear what the cost of repairs will be, and I am lucky it's the only thing I have to think about.

Whatever the result will be for you, When we fly our inspire's again, use its altitude and maneuverability to its advantage. There's no need to risk the safety of your craft or the safety of other people and or property by flying just a few feet closer. Chances are, it's not going to make the shot that much better.
2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mkell7 Posted at 2015-3-2 03:27
I feel for you Abe, after after having my own inspire clip a steel cable that I thought I was clear  ...

Yes, agreed. Clearly I misjudged the distance. I had already flown over it a few times and must have lowered the altitude just enough on the next circuit to hit the post.

Future aircraft I'm sure will include some kind of collision avoidance (many cars have it already) since it is pretty hard to judge distance from a couple of hundred feet away. The experience reminds me of the old saying: It's always fun to be a pioneer, until you're the one with an arrow in your back.
2015-3-1
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.4

Canada

It seems your missing the point. Yes, it sounds like you did a lot of the Due Diligence VLOS, below 400ft, etc.  However, before flying over or around anyplace, the owners of the site should always be contacted and the final decision to fly should be up to them. They may have valid reasons why they may not want you to fly there.  At the very least it should be done as a common courtesy and as in this case, if the Law of Unintended Consequences kick in it is better to have the land owners on board instead of blind siding them.  Hopefully, there will not be to much damage from your bird and I do wish you Luck. But this is a new industry and we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard.  
2015-3-1
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I really can't even comprehend why anyone would consider flying even near to the SETI Dish, we all know that our machines can be unpredictable and in all honesty are still in the early stages of development, 'first edition firmware'  has never been more been applicable or appropriate. Everyone has invested a considerable sum of money in their machines, as such every owner has a responsibility to the general public and property owners alike let alone fellow flyers. I hope you get your machine back without suffering the wrath of the authorities or financial penalty. I further hope you seriously reconsider the heavy responsibility  you have every time you take it out of the case..... Good luck!
2015-3-1
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Were you able to stop recording manually or did it lose power when it went down while still recording?

If you weren't able to stop recording beforehand then your clip probably won't play.  Luckily there is a trick that appears to work by recording another short clip on the SD seems to redirect the previous one and makes it work again.

Just some preemptive advice for when you get it back.

We all want to see this footage!

Best of luck!
2015-3-1
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

arunmehta Posted at 2015-3-2 02:49
how about sending another Inspire one to rescue the fallen bird...with a long rope and hook BEFORE t ...

Actually there is a video a rescue of a Drone on youtube. It was stuck on the top of an ancient monument and a Drone with an experienced pilot snatched it with a line on his Drone and pulled it off. Took a couple attempts but mission accomplished. I believe everything was DJI. Check Youtube for Drone Rescue.
2015-3-1
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-3-2 05:48
Actually there is a video a rescue of a Drone on youtube. It was stuck on the top of an ancient mo ...

Actually it may be Drone Retrieval, may take a few searches. He had issues with the wind blowing the line around and brought it back down and added a weight to the line. H was confident and determined to pull it off.
2015-3-1
Use props
arunmehta
Second Officer
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

rodger Posted at 2015-3-2 05:51
Actually it may be Drone Retrieval, may take a few searches. He had issues with the wind blowing t ...

Must go before it gets dark...camera is 4k should be an interesting rescue mission I would LOVE to do That!
the refelections of radiowaves may also have interfered with Abes drone transmission
2015-3-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules