Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ouch ouch ouch...
9453 62 2015-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Abe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-2 05:32
Were you able to stop recording manually or did it lose power when it went down while still recordin ...

Jim, yes, I was thinking the same thing about whether I will be able to recover the video clip. I wasn't able to stop recording with the Pilot app because my remote lost connection immediately after the Inspire fell, suggesting the aircraft lost power right away. Maybe the battery popped out on impact. If I get it back and it still turns on, I should be able to recover the clip the way you suggest.
2015-3-1
Use props
jmanaya
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40840 ft
Venezuela

Well my opinión get other focus maybe you didn't think about all that metal structure gonne to make A REALLY INTERFERENCE WITH THE I1!!! Apart the obvuisly problem that involved in fly over a MILLIONARY FACILITY... my advice go there tomorrow morning and don't make like if this was a big deal!! (don't make this a CNN news) when chat with the facility staff don't say drone (some people are sensitive about that Word) best of the luck... and don't let us at expectative!
2015-3-1
Use props
Colonel Angus
Second Officer

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-2 05:32
Were you able to stop recording manually or did it lose power when it went down while still recordin ...

Jim, That info is gold to many!!
You are a very valuable comrades here on this forum to many ..great info you shared!

One of you in Abe's area should attempt a rescue if possible. Used a V2+ though)
2015-3-1
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.3
United States

Best of luck getting your I1 back without too much hassle Abe. Seems like some people on forums, no matter what forums, will sideline quarterback. Sounds to me like you made an honest mistake rather than an irresponsible decision and are doing everything you can to have the situation resolved with as little damage to the hobby as possible. In all such cases, diplomacy goes a long way. I second the coffee and doughnut strategy.

I guess this is why they call them accidents.
2015-3-1
Use props
CrabHawk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-2 03:25
Please!!
Lay off the Hammering of Abe he is one of the good guys here!! He was in a public access ar ...

I agree ABE is a good guy He just put his bird into the sky in a "Sensitive" area. I tell you I fly 90% over the ocean and people think I'm an idiot (Actually one lady said she thought it was sexy to see someone trust their skills that much) But I tell EVERYONE if that thing falls out of the sky it's then my issue But at least I didn't hit a person or an animal or someones property. And YES i DID lose a phantom V2+ in the ocean 3 weeks ago everyone was laughing and pointing fingers. I just looked at everyone and said I'm glad it was my loss and no ones injury..Stuff happens.
2015-3-1
Use props
UM305
lvl.4

United States

Another  "Drone Operator"  Miami CBS News .
Mystery Drone Damages Hialeah Home (not the WH)

2015-3-1
Use props
tahoejmfc
lvl.1

United States

I think you should climb up there and get the radiation you deserve. I hate to say that but what were you thinking
2015-3-1
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tahoejmfc Posted at 2015-3-2 15:00
I think you should climb up there and get the radiation you deserve. I hate to say that but what wer ...

Wow. Maybe you should first find out what that dish is about before making a statement like that. Good grief.
2015-3-1
Use props
silentav8r
lvl.1

United States

I too am a life long RC modeler (48 years in the hobby). I would never dream of flying anywhere near a piece of equipment like this. I use the basic rule that I do not fly over anything I would not fly my Trex 550e over. Giant satellite dishes fit that category.
2015-3-1
Use props
lethbrp
Second Officer
United Kingdom

silentav8r@cox. Posted at 2015-3-2 15:57
I too am a life long RC modeler (48 years in the hobby). I would never dream of flying anywhere near ...

I bet you videos are interesting Wide open landscapes void of building and life. I too wouldn't fly my normal RC models over  people and buildings, but perhaps the issue here is that a spotter wasn't used. All care must be taken to avoid people etc.. as laid down by and local rules that govern UAV's.

I commend Abe for sharing his experience, its a reminder to us all that to have someone on had to be lookout in tight spaces. This could just as easily have been a cliff face or other obstacle.
2015-3-2
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hopefully you managed to get your Inspire back and there's no damage to the dish or the Inspire, I don't know the area or facility so wont pass judgement, we all make mistakes, that's life.

Thing is, if the dish is listening to aliens, who knows how the signals transfer, it doesn't sound like a telecoms dish pumping stuff out or reflecting etc, be interesting to know (especially as I spotted something odd with the naked eye in the sky last year which turned out to be a nasa satellite measuring black holes and gamma rays).

Id be interested to know if they capture what the aliens have to say about all this after you get it back and if you have to go in the dish remember to wrap your balls in tin foil hahaaa
2015-3-2
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Sounds like a good vid that Rodger, cant find it though.

It surprising what payload a V3 Phantom will take to the previous with its new motors as shown on another youtube vid.
2015-3-2
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I'm on tenterhooks here Abe wondering what's happened and if you've managed to get it back, think I would have been up that ladder wrapped in tinfoil by now tbh!

Had a read about the dish, fascinating, I'd have a thermal image camera on a UAV looking for mountain lions around there if I lived near!

2015-3-2
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

bubo_bubo Posted at 2015-3-3 03:02
I'm on tenterhooks here Abe wondering what's happened and if you've managed to get it back, think I  ...

Here's how the story ends, bubo...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-3-2
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

MainlineAerial Posted at 2015-3-1 14:22
wow, that really sucks! Pushing limits can get you in trouble, but those are the risks we take! Hope ...

Trying to judge depth perception of bird and object  at distances this is why I really like using goggles when I'm getting close to a distant object with other obstacles i lower my goggles and relax knowing just how close I am , just remember to put the cam in FPV mode and also remember what you flew past with goggles down , don't suddenly back into some object you just flew past !!
fpv with glasses or goggles takes practice to be confident ..
2015-3-2
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
United States

ElliotTeskey Posted at 2015-3-2 00:27
This is large multi million dollar government funded facility.  I have to unload here.  Your actions ...

Calm down , government installation ?  Uh huh .
2015-3-2
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-2 01:15
Well, first of all, it is a park open to the public, and I waited until late in the day when there w ...

Some people just want to get all pissy when they were not there , don't know the area and that its a park and that there is NO restriction on electric RC flying posted and it's not a no fly zone either , besides the old worn out seti dish is mostly for show , government subsidized project ... Wrong . So get off the drone police thing and chill !  If he'd posted a beautiful video you'd all be praising him right ?  Yup you would !
Unfortunate mishap , And I applaud your effort and flying to produce a really great video or photo shoot.....  Bad judgement for flying there is funny at best .... Sorry you lost your investment .
2015-3-2
Use props
daver/m
Second Officer
United States

Abe Posted at 2015-3-2 03:38
Yes, agreed. Clearly I misjudged the distance. I had already flown over it a few times and must ha ...

Depth perception of distant objects can be very tricky . Sorry this happened man dang it anyways ..
2015-3-2
Use props
Colonel Angus
Second Officer

United States

Lighten up Francis's Dish guy didnt rail Abe why should his buds.

Now wouldn't this be cool as Abe's Inspire was laying on the dish and it transmitted his Old firmware into outer space to mess up an advanced hostile alien civilization that was planning to someday invade us..lol ... Just saying..lol  Hand of god stuff via a simple accident.
[

The Inspire 1 effect starring Abe!

Congrats on the retrieval and getting it Back...
2015-3-2
Use props
kc1628
lvl.1

United States

Wow...If you fly too close and crash it only means you werent operating safely for all the reasons....its bad enough so hope for the best...
2015-3-2
Use props
Barney2k
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That is not good.

Did you ever get this back?

I'd say this is why quite a lot of people think training should be compulsory.

In the UK anyway - you'd have to get a PfCO before you could do any commercial flying with UAVs.

I think it would make the public feel more comfortable if you had to have at least some knowledge of how to fly safely before taking off.
2016-11-1
Use props
naildrivingman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112451 ft
United States

Here's the problem as I see it.  With the advent of relatively sophisticated still and video cameras on a flying platform at a reasonably low price, the door to endless possibilities of exploration is open to just about anyone who can afford it.  When that door opened, so too did the door of significant responsibility to the operator.

Years ago when I was young and I will admit dumb, I had to be rescued by the forest service when I climbed a mountain.  I use the word climbed very loosely.  There were no ropes involved and I did a little scrambling up some rock walls that were probably 30-40 feet in height.  When I reached the top, my perspective of the mountain changed and I honestly could not see how to get down.  Eventually I did make it down about halfway, but then I could descend no more without help.  The bottom line is I wasn't prepared for every possible scenario and I pushed my luck and my ability.

I have never flown RC planes, but I believe that anyone who compares their experience with RC planes to the Inspire/Phantom/whatever (I'm trying not to say drone) is somewhat ill-informed.  I have to believe that no RC plane pilot would fly as close to a given object as a heli-pilot (again trying not to say drone) can and does.  I am not saying that a heli-pilot is less responsible, just afforded a wider margin of error.

By human nature, when afforded a wider margin of error we may take a normal threshold and push the limits.

I am neither defending nor commending the OP's actions, simply stating my opinion of the situation as I see it.
2016-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules