What is your experience with DJI Go 4 and the iPad Mini 2?
1053 11 2017-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, I have grown sick of the issues with the P4P and Android and I am switching to iOS now, but I am trying to keep my investment low (after already buying 3 different Android devices). I am looking mainly at the iPad Mini 3 but can get the Mini 2 for a significantly lower price. But, I have read on the forums (here and elsewhere) that the Mini 2 may or may not serve me well with DJI Go 4. Can anyone who uses the app with the Mini 2 chime in please? Also, if you have tried Go 4 on both the Mini 2 and Mini 3, can you compare the experiences? Lastly, are there issues with DJI Go 4 and iOS I should be aware of before switching over to the dark/light side?

Thank you.

Update: My Shield K1 died last week. I would not consider replacing it had it not died.
2017-4-8
Use props
mtnlandpix
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I use an IPad Mini 2 with DJI GO 4 and a P4.  The only issue has been a couple of weird error messages on one flight about prop guards interfering with the front sensors and telling me to retract my landing gear. (I don't have prop guards or retractable gear.)  On subsequent flights I have not seen these weird warnings again.  Mini 2 works great with GO 4.
2017-4-8
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-4-8 16:42
I use an IPad Mini 2 with DJI GO 4 and a P4.  The only issue has been a couple of weird error messages on one flight about prop guards interfering with the front sensors and telling me to retract my landing gear. (I don't have prop guards or retractable gear.)  On subsequent flights I have not seen these weird warnings again.  Mini 2 works great with GO 4.

Got it! Thanks for the info.
2017-4-9
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ordered the Mini 3 today.
2017-4-9
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

Mini 3 is nothing but a Mini 2 with Touch ID. Both are discontinued and long in the tooth technology wise. If you were looking for something with a bit of future proofing you might want to consider canceling and getting the Mini4.
2017-4-9
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CCrew Posted at 2017-4-9 18:38
Mini 3 is nothing but a Mini 2 with Touch ID. Both are discontinued and long in the tooth technology wise. If you were looking for something with a bit of future proofing you might want to consider canceling and getting the Mini4.

Thanks for the info. I only intend to use it with the P4P and/or older quads, so I believe it should hold me over fairly well. I don't use iOS devices otherwise. Based on your advice though, it seems I could have settled for the Mini 2!
2017-4-10
Use props
monkmartinez
lvl.1
United States

So on March 19th you posted a thread about your "setup that works for me 100% of the time" in regard to the Shield 1.  Perhaps you should update that post so others can see that, despite significant effort, you are going with iOS via the iPad.
2017-4-10
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

monkmartinez Posted at 2017-4-10 07:43
So on March 19th you posted a thread about your "setup that works for me 100% of the time" in regard to the Shield 1.  Perhaps you should update that post so others can see that, despite significant effort, you are going with iOS via the iPad.

Notice in that post I metioned I had to revert to an older version of Android to attain that. Additionally, my K1 died and that is the main (only?) reason I am replacing it. So, instead of investing in an OS that gets less support from DJI, I opted to go with iOS. What I said in that post still stands. No need to update or change it. Thank you for your input though.
2017-4-10
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

I have both the P4P+ with 5.5" monitor and a separate controller with a Mini 2 attached and sometimes I use my iPhone 7+. If I did not already have the Mini 2 I wouldn't use it. It looks great and I like the larger screen than the 5.5" but the screen redraw is way slow. It even turns green sometimes waiting to catch up and if it tight places that's not what I want happening. I'll definitely be upgrading that very soon. My iPhone 7+ works great but as it about the same size as the P4P+ there is not much advantage but I have a backup if needed.
2017-4-11
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jsantacroce@hvc Posted at 2017-4-11 17:07
I have both the P4P+ with 5.5" monitor and a separate controller with a Mini 2 attached and sometimes I use my iPhone 7+. If I did not already have the Mini 2 I wouldn't use it. It looks great and I like the larger screen than the 5.5" but the screen redraw is way slow. It even turns green sometimes waiting to catch up and if it tight places that's not what I want happening. I'll definitely be upgrading that very soon. My iPhone 7+ works great but as it about the same size as the P4P+ there is not much advantage but I have a backup if needed.

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping I don't have the same experience then.
2017-4-11
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jsantacroce@hvc Posted at 2017-4-11 17:07

Just had the chance to try with the Mini 3. Not a great experience. I had hoped the preview transmission on the Mini 3 would be more solid than with my K1 but this was not the case. I actually got better results with the K1 with video cache on (or off) than with the Mini 3 with the video cache disabled (or on). Perhaps I should have replaced the dead K1 with another K1. I'll try this for a few more days before I purchase Litchi on iOS. Already ran Litchi on multiple Android devices and it was more stable that DJI Go 4 on them all.

Update: The Litchi experience was much, much better but I could have accomplished the same (better) results with another K1. If this is how the apps run on everyone else's iPad mini 2s and 3s, then they really don't know what they are missing (from the Shield K1 side of the fence). One advantage the iPad has over the K1 though is screen brightness. Another advantage is a much better battery life.
2017-4-13
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CCrew Posted at 2017-4-9 18:38

I stand corrected! My Shield K1 worked better with the P4P than the iPad Mini 3, but I like the extra brightness (and DJI's support of) iOS devices, so I am likely pitching the Mini 3 and looking at the Mini 4 as you suggested. Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping it works at least as well as the K1 did.
2017-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules