Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 compass errors
1964 11 2017-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1043698 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys, I have a brand new Inspire 2 & X5s which I'm going to be using commercially. I already have work lined up for it so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help before I resort to returning it.

I collected the I2 yesterday and as soon as I got home, I charged the batteries and did the firmware update using DJI Assistant 2 on my PC.  I also updated the transmitter firmware via the app (DJI Go4, iPad Air2).  After the updates were complete, I calibrated the IMU and basically put everything away for the night ready to test fly today.  I got to the field and upon powering up I got a compass error so I did the dance but this failed every time I tried.  I went to another 2 locations (fields with no power lines, metal, concrete etc) but had the same problem.  I made sure I wasn't carrying any electronic devices and even walked a distance from the remote in case that was causing the problem. I returned home dejected but eager to fix the problem so refreshed the firmware and recalibrated the IMU before venturing out to another location... same problem.  Has anyone else had this kind of issue?  I have attached screen shots of the calibration screen before and after attempting calibration.  I'm guessing it's not looking good!

P1280052.jpg
P1280053.jpg
2017-4-8
Use props
DroneADservice
Second Officer
Flight distance : 697441 ft
Switzerland

Hello,

In the first picture there's the text saying:

-Compass1 IMU Error. It cannot be r...     (repaired???)

If you get the message that it cannot be repaired you should take contact with DJI and send it back in for repair under warranty. You may have a defective compass or IMU unit...

Hope you get it sorted out

Patrick
2017-4-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

DroneADservice Posted at 2017-4-8 12:09
Hello,

In the first picture there's the text saying:

I have been responding to you on your other thread:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-91756-1-1.html

You really should keep one thread per subject so that answers aren't missed or duplicated.
2017-4-8
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

You look like an experienced pilot. What does the bias and accuracy look like in the IMU info page?
Most likely an unusual QC issue. I hope you get it sorted out soon...
2017-4-8
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

One more thing to check. I say this because contrary to the impression created on these pages, DJI's engineers are pretty good and so is their QC. So odds are that something 'soft' is in play.

Do a COLD calibration of both IMU and Compass. Folks on the P4P platform, myself included have run into a random IMU failure that can be corrected with COLD recalibration. I've never seen this on an I2 but the set up is a little different and maybe, the error messages too.

Please look at http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid759760

Good luck
2017-4-8
Use props
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-8 18:24
You look like an experienced pilot. What does the bias and accuracy look like in the IMU info page?
Most likely an unusual QC issue. I hope you get it sorted out soon...

Thanks, everything looks fine on the IMU page, I'll check tomorrow and post back.  I've been flying DJI products for 4 years and this is my first time having a problem like this.
2017-4-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

fansb63fc3ac Posted at 2017-4-9 16:34
Thanks, everything looks fine on the IMU page, I'll check tomorrow and post back.  I've been flying DJI products for 4 years and this is my first time having a problem like this.

One more thing. try flying. If you fly normally, ignore the messages. Oddly enough, if there IS something wrong with the IMU of the sort posted on this page: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid760295 ; the IMU info page doesn't reveal it. I went nuts wondering if I should send my bird in then did a cold cal and everything was fine and has remained so. That was a P4P though.

Another point you might want to take note of since you look like a very careful person, is that as of the Mavic, DJI has changed its advisory on compulsory calibration. See post #6600 here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/ ... ad%2A%2A%2A/page440

Good luck.
2017-4-9
Use props
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-9 16:45
One more thing. try flying. If you fly normally, ignore the messages. Oddly enough, if there IS something wrong with the IMU of the sort posted on this page: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=90680&page=1#pid760295 ; the IMU info page doesn't reveal it. I went nuts wondering if I should send my bird in then did a cold cal and everything was fine and has remained so. That was a P4P though.

Another point you might want to take note of since you look like a very careful person, is that as of the Mavic, DJI has changed its advisory on compulsory calibration. See post #6600 here:

Thanks Mike.  Unfortunately I can't even arm the motors, when I do the CSC, I get an error and the motors don't run.
2017-4-9
Use props
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-8 18:09
I have been responding to you on your other thread:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-91756-1-1.html

Sorry about that, I'm new here and I was kind of panicking as I've just spent a small fortune on something which does not work!  If it's dead and I'm to blame through my ignorance (updating the firmware too soon?) then fine, I guess I have to accept that... I should have done some research first.
2017-4-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
  • >>>
Singapore

fansb63fc3ac Posted at 2017-4-9 16:56
Thanks Mike.  Unfortunately I can't even arm the motors, when I do the CSC, I get an error and the motors don't run.

Uh-oh... Being unable to arm motors.... That sounds more serious. Only happens with hardware failure in my experience; unless they changed the start up logic for new and heavier craft.

Looks like you may have to bite the bullet and open that ticket! I hope your replacement is expedited.
2017-4-9
Use props
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-9 17:14
Uh-oh... Being unable to arm motors.... That sounds more serious. Only happens with hardware failure in my experience; unless they changed the start up logic for new and heavier craft.

Looks like you may have to bite the bullet and open that ticket! I hope your replacement is expedited.

In 4 years of flying DJI products (mostly in heavy lift rigs) this is the first time I've had a serious problem so I guess I can't complain.  It's a real inconvenience but hey... such is life!
2017-4-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fansb63fc3ac Posted at 2017-4-9 17:11
Sorry about that, I'm new here and I was kind of panicking as I've just spent a small fortune on something which does not work!  If it's dead and I'm to blame through my ignorance (updating the firmware too soon?) then fine, I guess I have to accept that... I should have done some research first.

I've responded to your other thread.
2017-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules