Inspire 2 compass woes
1074 8 2017-4-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1043698 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys, I have a brand new Inspire 2 & X5s which I'm going to be using commercially. I already have work lined up for it so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help before I resort to returning it.

I collected the I2 yesterday and as soon as I got home, I charged the batteries and did the firmware update using DJI Assistant 2 on my PC.  I also updated the transmitter firmware via the app (DJI Go4, iPad Air2).  After the updates were complete, I calibrated the IMU and basically put everything away for the night ready to test fly today.  I got to the field and upon powering up I got a compass error so I did the dance but this failed every time I tried.  I went to another 2 locations (fields with no power lines, metal, concrete etc) but had the same problem.  I made sure I wasn't carrying any electronic devices and even walked a distance from the remote in case that was causing the problem. I returned home dejected but eager to fix the problem so refreshed the firmware and recalibrated the IMU before venturing out to another location... same problem.  Has anyone else had this kind of issue?  I have attached screen shots of the calibration screen before and after attempting calibration.  I'm guessing it's not looking good!      
P1280052.jpg
P1280053.jpg
2017-4-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry if this was missed, but did you also perform an IMU calibration, since it mentions an IMU error in the first picture? Have you tried resetting the unit to factory defaults to see if that helps? Could you also verify what firmware version you have installed on the unit?
2017-4-8
Use props
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-8 11:47
I'm sorry if this was missed, but did you also perform an IMU calibration, since it mentions an IMU error in the first picture? Have you tried resetting the unit to factory defaults to see if that helps? Could you also verify what firmware version you have installed on the unit?

Thank you DJI-Jamie. Yes I reset to factory defaults each time I refreshed the firmware using Assistant 2.  I also calibrated the IMU each time, closely following the on screen prompts prior to attempting compass calibration.
2017-4-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansb63fc3ac Posted at 2017-4-8 13:00
Thank you DJI-Jamie. Yes I reset to factory defaults each time I refreshed the firmware using Assistant 2.  I also calibrated the IMU each time, closely following the on screen prompts prior to attempting compass calibration.

Did you happen to see these messages prior to performing the updates, or had you not test it before updating

/
2017-4-8
Use props
fansb63fc3ac
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-8 17:35
Did you happen to see these messages prior to performing the updates, or had you not test it before updating

/

I updated the firmware before any initial testing.  Was that a mistake?
2017-4-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansb63fc3ac Posted at 2017-4-9 16:25
I updated the firmware before any initial testing.  Was that a mistake?

It's not a mistake, per say. Checking if it's operational prior to updating the firmware helps establish a starting point for issues for troubleshooting purposes, but it's not absolutely necessary to do. Some people do that as personal practice, so I figured I ask.

Since you've already tried reapplying the firmware, resetting to factory defaults and recalibrating everything, there is not much left to try. If the issue persists, then it's most likely a hardware issue. It would be best to return it to your dealer for an exchange since it seems you just got the unit.
2017-4-10
Use props
John B
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-10 08:19
It's not a mistake, per say. Checking if it's operational prior to updating the firmware helps establish a starting point for issues for troubleshooting purposes, but it's not absolutely necessary to do. Some people do that as personal practice, so I figured I ask.

Since you've already tried reapplying the firmware, resetting to factory defaults and recalibrating everything, there is not much left to try. If the issue persists, then it's most likely a hardware issue. It would be best to return it to your dealer for an exchange since it seems you just got the unit.

Thanks DJI-Jamie, I'll try and return it - I just bought it new on Friday.
2017-4-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

John B Posted at 2017-4-10 08:33
Thanks DJI-Jamie, I'll try and return it - I just bought it new on Friday.

If it's that recent, you shouldn't have any problems exchanging it.
2017-4-10
Use props
John B
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-10 08:49
If it's that recent, you shouldn't have any problems exchanging it.

Fingers crossed!  I haven't had a response from DJI yet, only an automated reply saying a ticket has been raised.  I hope this doesn't drag on for weeks or months!
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules