Crash - Selected RTH while in POI mode
998 8 2017-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bogl3vi3
New
Flight distance : 2142 ft
United States

Was flying 'Point of Interest' mode at 75 feet surveying a commercial bldg.  After one circle around the designated point I selected 'Return to Home' via the icon on the IPad screen.  The Inspire dropped straight down as if in an autorotation and impacted concrete parking lot.  Lots of broken parts including the camera, one side of the landing gear collapsed.  This was first flight of the day after approximately 4 mins of flight.  Has anyone else seen this?

Settings:
RTH Altitude 20 meters
Range approximaly 30 meters from operator to aircraft
Battery indications for controller and airplane were both good.

Comm link was good
Operating autopilot mode 'F'
Satellites good
2017-4-10
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Sorry to hear about the accident, could you give us a bit more info, perhaps some of the guys here can help figure out what happened.
How long after you pressing RTH did the Inspire drop? (instantly, a few seconds, did it start to descend, then drop?)
You say the battery indications were "good", what was the voltage/percentage for the aircraft?
How long before that particular flight was the battery charged and what was the take-off voltage/percentage?
Could you upload the flight data to Airdata.com and share a link here please.

Mark G.
2017-4-10
Use props
bogl3vi3
New
United States

Firmware version v1.10.1.4,  
2017-4-10
Use props
bogl3vi3
New
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-4-10 07:11
Sorry to hear about the accident, could you give us a bit more info, perhaps some of the guys here can help figure out what happened.
How long after you pressing RTH did the Inspire drop? (instantly, a few seconds, did it start to descend, then drop?)
You say the battery indications were "good", what was the voltage/percentage for the aircraft?

Hi Mark,
   I will upload to airdata.  
I had been flying the same profile and building  the night before manually without being in POI mode.   
Battery had charged all night and I was able to take screen shots of status post accident.  Battery was at 80% but I didn't have the voltage display selected.

As soon as I initiated the RTH it seemed as though the aircraft went to idle.  It was instantaneous.

I had upgraded the firmware to v1.10.01.4 successfully a few days prior and had flown without incident in flight mode 'P' multiple times and used RTH without issue.  
2017-4-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear, have you already gotten in contact with Support to have this unit sent in for further evaluation and repair/replacement?
2017-4-10
Use props
bogl3vi3
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-10 08:39
I'm sorry to hear, have you already gotten in contact with Support to have this unit sent in for further evaluation and repair/replacement?

Thanks Jamie ...... number 8 in the que
2017-4-10
Use props
bogl3vi3
New
United States

Took a couple of weeks but it is currently with the repair administrator.  Initially I was told that it was out of warranty and what the repair/replacement cost would be.  I replied with a request for information on what caused the incident.  That is where we are right now........  just wanted to let anyone following to know whats up.  Will update
2017-5-5
Use props
JOStern
New
United States

bogl3vi3 Posted at 2017-5-5 06:28
Took a couple of weeks but it is currently with the repair administrator.  Initially I was told that it was out of warranty and what the repair/replacement cost would be.  I replied with a request for information on what caused the incident.  That is where we are right now........  just wanted to let anyone following to know whats up.  Will update

Any news from DJI?
2017-6-4
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

As it is now 5 Jun 17, any update for this incident yet?
2017-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules